Sig P320 Safety Concern

FieldGL

So has anyone been following what's going on with Sig Saur's P320? Dallas PD pulled the P320 over concerns of it's safety. Then this article was released shortly after, with proof that it can fire, if dropped at the right angle. An angle, which apparently is not in testing standards (barrel facing up).

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/sig-sauer-p320-fails-drop-test/

First lawsuit was recently filed as well, by the officer who dropped his P320 by accident and was shot in the leg. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bcq0WcWuxWN3l1SHkwQ243TWs/view

Last time I checked, Sig has said there's no issues and the P320 passes all standard tests.

Saw this on TTAG.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/08/jeremy-s/breaking-ttag-tests-show-p320-striker-fired-pistols-are-not-drop-safe/

Working with tools everyday for a long time has taught me that you have to buy the right tool for the right application. I apply this method to purchasing firearms. Sig makes fine weapons. I have a hammer fired sig and I love it. But I am a glock guy and when it comes to striker fired I just truly think that they have the striker fired business locked up, and no one makes a better striker fired safe action pistol. If glock decided to do something crazy and make a hammer fired action I probably would not buy it.

So now the antis will claim that they were right all along!

Guns can kill people, guns are not safe, who needs a finger to fire a gun, and when one of those crazy concealed guys is eating in a restaurant with my 4 year old baby and drops his gun, bang bang my baby is gone!

IL will now demand we all follow Sig Saur's recommendation of not carrying a loaded gun, until it is ready to fire.

Guns can kill people, guns are not safe, who needs a finger to fire a gun, and when one of those crazy concealed guys is eating in a restaurant with my 4 year old baby and drops his gun, bang bang my baby is gone!

IL will now demand we all follow Sig Saur's recommendation of not carrying a loaded gun, until it is ready to fire.

OR

Illinois will require us to drop/throw our firearms from 5' high to defend ourselves

Purple On

Purple Off

Yes, instructors can get ready to have this rolled into a new curriculum soon.

If you can't get a round off with (3) attempts you'll fail...........

Guns can kill people, guns are not safe, who needs a finger to fire a gun, and when one of those crazy concealed guys is eating in a restaurant with my 4 year old baby and drops his gun, bang bang my baby is gone! IL will now demand we all follow Sig Saur's recommendation of not carrying a loaded gun, until it is ready to fire. OR

Illinois will require us to drop/throw our firearms from 5' high to defend ourselves

Purple On

Purple Off

Yes, instructors can get ready to have this rolled into a new curriculum soon.

If you can't get a round off with (3) attempts you'll fail...........

No worries. You can throw my Glocks, Kahrs, or Smith and Wessons from the space station, they don't go off until I say so.

I definitely would. It want to be in that room! These guy are crazy lol

That was my first impression too. But if you review the links in posts #1 and #3, you will see that the guns were loaded with primed cases, not will a full cartridge will a projectile.

I do not see the reason for the vests. No bullet means nothing to penetrate skin. If they were using complete cartridges, then their head, belly, and extremities would be subject to penetration.

As for as the angle involved: does it really matter? Maybe when I decide to clumsily drop my pistol or it is knocked off a counter, I will be sure it falls and strikes at a safe angle.

They better not make owners send in the whole pistol. All they should need is the serialized FCU. Or just send me the damn parts and I'll fix it myself. Replaced enough parts with newer revisions, got pretty good with working on that trigger unit.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I rented one a while back, sweet shooting gun. I was very close to trading in my XDm for a 9mm P320. The full replacement protocol is listed here

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/08/jeremy-s/mechanics-behind-sig-p320-drop-safety-failures/

I'll see how this works out and still likely make the move if further tests eliminate the issue

Ther seems to be a "back story" about this whole contract Sig v Glock. I watched this video and found it pretty interesting, to say the least. A bit chatty and repetitive, but the points made are pretty darn interesting. The channel is run by a guy with many years in the firearms industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGI2H0EjDTw

Ther seems to be a "back story" about this whole contract Sig v Glock. I watched this video and found it pretty interesting, to say the least. A bit chatty and repetitive, but the points made are pretty darn interesting. The channel is run by a guy with many years in the firearms industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGI2H0EjDTw

Thanks, something to watch during lunch break. Any cliffs in the mean time?

So I watched the video. Extremely repetitive. Hopefully more on here can comment that know more about this than I do. There are a few things I noticed that poke some holes in his video.

1) He questions the price point for the contract for Sig and doubts how they will even make money. The problem I have with this is unless he has the finances of Sig, how does he even know what profit, loss, break even, or whatever Sig will end up getting from the government contract.

2) He significantly downplays the modularity on multiple occasions, though that was a big part of the army requirements.

3) He hammers the point of the army not knowing how the p320 will function in cold weather and altitude while just glancing over the fact that the glock also has these questions unanswered.

I get the impression that he was disappointed that Glock didn't get the contract.

I am neither a Sig or Glock fanboy. I think both are very well built firearms. The video just seemed like 28 minutes of "the army doesn't know how the p320 is going to perform in the hands of soldiers because of inadequate testing...oh, but they aren't sure how the Glock will perform, either."

I'm looking forward to other comments on this.

It seems like the attention pointed at the P320 is simply because they won the new pistol contract for the Army. I wonder if other striker fired pistols have similar issues but haven't been tested because they did not win the contract. I'd be curious if Glocks or M&P's have the same problem, or even a different problem from some different angle that isn't part of the official testing procedure.

Not that this excuses the Sig issue but it might not be isolated to the P320. I wonder if even hammer fired guns with a light enough trigger might have similar issues.

Let's agree that the P320 had a failure

Let's agree that this isn't a good situation for Sig or any owner of a P320

But the craziness of the videos poping up about how this can happen, do we actually handle our firearms like this?

One guy now uses a hammer to pound on the rear of the gun repeatedly and it fires

One person actually throws the gun to the floor and after three tries it goes off

Even the first text I believe we all looked at, it took three drops from a shoulder height arm out drop in a specific hold and angle to get it to fire.

Yes, it's dangerous that's a fact as a officer was injured as reported.

But let's all get our guns out and start slamming them into the ground or pounding them with a hammer and see if we can't surpass the industry standards applied to them! Yeah I thought not......

Oh, James Yeager has weighed in too. Deleted his previous praise video and now says the P320 doesn't even gave a safety!

We all love James right?

****not a Sig P320 owner****

Archived