School safety

alskid

Sent this to my reps and local school board. Not sure if anyone will read it, but at least I tried.

Im writing as a concerned citizen and parent with a child that attends public school. The primary concern that I would like to bring to your attention is the absence of security employed to the defense of our community's children. Every day, I think about the ease with which someone with evil intent could target my child while at our local schools. All the while, most schools are left entirely defenseless with no person to provide a realistic chance of stopping a deadly threat. In light of recent events where children were brutally murdered while attending public school, I find it difficult to understand why most of our schools continue to be defended by little more than a "no guns please" sign on the door. If someone with malicious intent were to enter the grounds of a bank, court house, airport, train station, celebritys home, the White House, jewelry store or any other location that we deem to contain items or individuals of great value, they would be met with immediate armed resistance. In those circumstances, we would all agree that a small sign on a glass entry door is literally and figuratively window dressing.

As an example of the unconscionable lack of concern for this issue, I compare this to the recent reaction from our local school system to small amounts of lead contaminants in school building water supplies. This is also a very important safety issue as lead can have enormous long term, detrimental effects on a childs development. It was addressed swiftly, communicated well to parents, and resolved. However, to my knowledge, the very real short term threat of an assailant savagely murdering our children in their classrooms has been given no such attention. We seem to collectively just wish it away and hope it never happens in our community. At most, we may teach our kids to hide under their desks.

While some may call for additional mental health resources, devote energy to blaming Hollywood movies or, worse, advocate for misguided calls for gun control, none of those responses will stop the immediate threat of someone intent on murder. I want to understand what our schools are doing NOW to stop deadly threats. Calling the police and hoping they arrive in time is not an effective plan. I see it as an admission that armed protection is required for our defenseless children. A sign on a door is not a plan. I see it as willful ignorance and a collective disregard for reality. We need to stop fooling ourselves.

I call on you as an authority figure that is entrusted with my child's safety to please stand with me and stop assigning credibility to voices that would like to wish away evil. Lets decide to protect our children by actually protecting them.

Please share with me how you plan to address this threat.

Are the resources available to actively defend our children? If not, will you advocate for them?

Do laws need to be changed to allow for the armed defense of our children? If so, will you join me in calling for change?

Thank you for taking the time to hear my concerns,

Archived