From ISP - Masks and Concealed Carry

Molly B.

Response from ISP:

“The Governor’s Executive Order regarding the wearing of masks or protective facial coverings in public settings during this serious global pandemic was not intended to negatively impact permit holders under the Illinois Concealed Carry Act while legally carrying firearms. The Executive Order does not require or suggest that law enforcement should arrest or criminally charge conceal carry license permit holders for wearing protective masks while in public as long as they are complying with the other provisions of the Illinois Concealed Carry Act and are not committing any other violations of Illinois law. ISP has confidence that law enforcement officers across the state will use appropriate judgment and that elected State’s Attorneys will likewise exercise sound prosecutorial discretion.”

.....ISP has confidence that law enforcement officers across the state will use appropriate judgment and that elected State’s Attorneys will likewise exercise sound prosecutorial discretion.

I have a problem with this...

Its up to their discretion?

So...if a LEO wants to jack you up for no reason he can do so.

Additionally....The statement should have been more stern. Stating something like "Enforcement is prohibited unless in conjunction with the committing of crimes to include..<list specifics here>"

In other words...be specific...so its not a tacked on charge if say you get pulled over for reckless driving for making Left turn if you miss a "Left Turn on Light Only" intersection...

.....ISP has confidence that law enforcement officers across the state will use appropriate judgment and that elected State’s Attorneys will likewise exercise sound prosecutorial discretion.

Additionally....The statement should have been more stern. Stating something like "Enforcement is prohibited unless in conjunction with the committing of crimes to include..<list specifics here>"

In other words...be specific...so its not a tacked on charge if say you get pulled over for reckless driving for making Left turn if you miss a "Left Turn on Light Only" intersection...

Agreed. No mask for me, anyways. My mom's bone marrow transplant doctor (head of the whole division, as a matter of fact) says masks don't work after 10 minutes, so why wear one? He always tells her that. In addition, my coworkers brother in law down in Texas caught Covid while at work while wearing a mask...

In any case, thank you for posting the ISP's response, Molly B! You gals and guys here at Illinois Carry are doing a tremendous job!

The mask isn't to protect you. It's to protect other people from you. If you wanted to protect yourself you would need eye pro too.

CC holders are rarely jacked-up by some jerk cop... and if that is their intention you don't need to be wearing a mask to be that victim.

That's my opinion... What Molly posted is not an opinion.

Thanks for reaching out to the ISP, Molly.

This topic deserves to be a sticky with no comments.

It's a message that shouldn't be lost to the ongoing conversation or subject to varying opinions.

I think we can all relax with this.

Bottom line, a CCL holder shouldn't commit an armed robbery while wearing a medically protective mask. How dumb does that sound?

We have had concealed carry in Illinois for 5 years. How many cases can you cite that police were stopping people wearing face coverings during the winters to see if they were CCing?

There is no need to add a list of specifics, as you suggest. Rules, regulations, laws, court decisions are already in place concerning police conduct.

Maybe the FCCA should have included a section prohibiting robbing liquor stores while carrying, or not shooting the neighbor's dog for barking too much?

No matter what regulation, etc., exists there will always be someone who violates it.

Response from ISP:

“The Governor’s Executive Order regarding the wearing of masks or protective facial coverings in public settings during this serious global pandemic was not intended to negatively impact permit holders under the Illinois Concealed Carry Act while legally carrying firearms. The Executive Order does not require or suggest that law enforcement should arrest or criminally charge conceal carry license permit holders for wearing protective masks while in public as long as they are complying with the other provisions of the Illinois Concealed Carry Act and are not committing any other violations of Illinois law. ISP has confidence that law enforcement officers across the state will use appropriate judgment and that elected State’s Attorneys will likewise exercise sound prosecutorial discretion.”

Absolutely does NOT state that it is legal, or illegal, to carry a firearm while being masked !!!

While I agree that the issue of wearing a mask while carrying is mostly a non issue, this letter does nothing to clear anything up. This letter is a finely crafted piece of confirmation biase. The reader on either side of the debate can point to parts of this email and say, "Ahh hah! I was right! Look..."

CC holders are rarely jacked-up by some jerk cop... and if that is their intention you don't need to be wearing a mask to be that victim.

That's my opinion... What Molly posted is not an opinion.

Thanks for reaching out to the ISP, Molly.

This topic deserves to be a sticky with no comments.

It's a message that shouldn't be lost to the ongoing conversation or subject to varying opinions.

^^This.

Delete all the comments and lock the thread. When there's additional verifiable information available, Molly can edit it to include it. We need to stop the churn at some point.

Agreed. No mask for me, anyways. My mom's bone marrow transplant doctor (head of the whole division, as a matter of fact) says masks don't work after 10 minutes, so why wear one? He always tells her that. In addition, my coworkers brother in law down in Texas caught Covid while at work while wearing a mask...

In any case, thank you for posting the ISP's response, Molly B! You gals and guys here at Illinois Carry are doing a tremendous job!

The mask isn't to protect you. It's to protect other people from you. If you wanted to protect yourself you would need eye pro too.

While I understand what you're saying, one question remains: if, by wearing a mask, you are not protected from germs, then how will others be protected from your germs? Masks are breathable both ways; if germs can get in, they will get out. I'm not suggesting, hinting or flat-out telling people not to protect themselves; please do so! If you really want to protect yourself, avoid contact with people (can't say just sick people, since a fair number of people have the virus, but don't have any symptoms) I just think this whole mask business makes absolutely no sense.

When this virus started getting out of hand, we were told masks are not needed, please don't buy masks so that first responders can have a supply of them. Now they're saying maybe you should wear a mask to protect yourself/others (now that it's almost impossible to get any). Also, why not require people wear masks when the Gov. extended the stay-at-home order? Why wait until the 1st of May? Will the virus be more contagious beginning May 1 than it is now? Again, makes no sense.

Sorry for the rant.

I think the masks are dumb too. Maybe if we had started with them back in February it would make more sense. Last I saw, they had not figured out if the virus was droplet based or aerosolized. If it is droplet based it will get caught in your mask if it is aerosolized it is going through that N95. All this feels more like doing things to try to seem proactive and maintain the calm than it seems based on science.

If you want to have some fun with the masks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QFMS579/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I ordered one of these and a few others as soon as the order hit the news.

While I understand what you're saying, one question remains: if, by wearing a mask, you are not protected from germs, then how will others be protected from your germs? Masks are breathable both ways; if germs can get in, they will get out....

Masks catch a person's liquid spew during a cough or a sneeze, not air during normal breathing, either in or out.

You get infected from other people's germs when you get them on your hands and then touch your mouth, nose, or eyes, not by breathing them in through your mask, generally. Touching your own mask and then bringing the mask into contact with your nose or mouth (probably not eyes, it's not that kind of mask) is pretty much the same thing.

• 3 months later...

Response from ISP:

Thanks for ting this reponse Molly. I did see something on the uslawshield website about wearing masks while carrying. it had a map of the US and Illinois was the only one that they marked as prohibited! Some were marked maybe prohibited.

Archived