POSTED! - NO CARRY Signs

mauserme

It does not seem reasonable to include places in your database that are specifically prohibited already such as hospitals and their affiliates. They do not have a choice in the matter. I noticed at least one hospital early in the list.

Incidentally, given that the vast majority of doctors are these days affiliated with a hospital system directly, does that mean that by default most doctor offices are off limits?

It does not seem reasonable to include places in your database that are specifically prohibited already such as hospitals and their affiliates. They do not have a choice in the matter. I noticed at least one hospital early in the list.

Xwing brings a great deal of knowledge to this project based on years of fine tuning in other states. I suggest you accede to his greater experience.

Incidentally, given that the vast majority of doctors are these days affiliated with a hospital system directly, does that mean that by default most doctor offices are off limits?

No.

It does not seem reasonable to include places in your database that are specifically prohibited

IMO, it absolutely does. The point is NOT to 'punish' places that choose to post signs (the 'No Guns No Money' cards are for that...), but to provide reliable information to the public so they can plan their day and make informed choices about where they want to spend their time and money with a reasonable degree of accurate, complete information.

I, for one, want to see every single publicly accessible prohibited place listed - irrespective of the reason they are prohibited places.

To use any other metric for publication will be problematic.

It does not seem reasonable to include places in your database that are specifically prohibited

IMO, it absolutely does. The point is NOT to 'punish' places that choose to post signs (the 'No Guns No Money' cards are for that...), but to provide reliable information to the public so they can plan their day and make informed choices about where they want to spend their time and money with a reasonable degree of accurate, complete information.

I, for one, want to see every single publicly accessible prohibited place listed - irrespective of the reason they are prohibited places.

To use any other metric for publication will be problematic.

I agree. I want to know where I can and can't go.

This may seen far-fetched but is actually becoming a reality. Google already knows where I work, live and workout and is telling me how long its going to take to get from one place to another. It reads my calendar and tells me how long its going to take to get to my appointments. Now for the hypothetical but possible reality. Lets say McDonald's is gun free and Wendy's is a prohibitionist. Since my phone knows I'm at drive-thru at McDonald's, the Posted! app should "buzz me" and ask how much I'm spending and send an email to Wendy's corporate and local store, (and other comparable prohibitionist businesses), notifying them that their policies cost them money.

There is no attitude, insults, or inflated egos- just hard cold cash baby!!

I think that they should. I work for a local government that runs locations that one might not know are government buildings. One specifically is a theater. Posting is "required" but a lot of people are going to assume it was voluntary and hassle staff with the no guns no money cards. I'm suggesting to our appropriate staff that underneath the 4x6 logo that we also put a "Government Building" label.

In a way they do have a choice. They can give permission to anybody to carry in accord within the UUW exemptions for property owners.

Of course you can argue FCCL holders can still be charged even if they have permission, but FOID card holders can not. But any prohibited location granting a blanket permission for FCCL or FOID holders is about as likely a Michael Madigan becoming a libertarian.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received word from someone in the IT dept for Leap Wireless, aka Cricket Wireless here in IL that he was told to unblock a website where all the IL stores are being told to download/print the IL official "no guns" signs and to post them on the doors.

I was going to add them to the list but it's every store location and address info is required to submit them to the form.

I think *all* GFZs should be in the database - don't forget out of state people who may not be completely familiar with IL statute will be using the tool, too.

I have the Posted! app installed on my iPhone and iPad but it won't update the database. Is there a glitch with the server hosting the data?

I have an update about the error. I just got off a 1 hour phone-call with my hosting services provider. Our server is the victim of a Distributed Denial of Services (DDOS) attack. The hosting provider put measures in place to bring the site back up, but those measures appear to be interfering with the webservice call (used in "Update" both for Posted! and for CCW). Per my request, they are now moving our site to a different server, and I will be testing this locally within the hour. If successful, we will move the DNS Namespace to bring the site back up (which will take about 4 hours).

In the meantime, there is a workaround. If you hit "Update DB" again right after the first failure, it will usually succeed the second time. This is because the ISP's hardware firewall is causing a slow response, which causes a 408 (timeout) error the first time. The second time, it usually has the authentication cached and can make it in time. I will provide further updates regarding the permanent resolution

I have the Posted! app installed on my iPhone and iPad but it won't update the database. Is there a glitch with the server hosting the data?

This issue has now been resolved! We moved to a different server and changed the DNS "A Record". I have verified on several different devices (iPhone, Android, Tablet, emulator, etc)... If anyone still sees an error, please PM me and/or email me w/ the "Feedback" link. Thanks!

This issue has now been resolved! We moved to a different server and changed the DNS "A Record". I have verified on several different devices (iPhone, Android, Tablet, emulator, etc)... If anyone still sees an error, please PM me and/or email me w/ the "Feedback" link. Thanks!

Outstanding! Thank you for the update. It works!

And thank you for all of your hard work on this effort. I hope we are able to stir up some effective "crowd sourcing" to populate the database.

I'm in. Will help populate where to not "Play in Peoria"!

I was at the Algonquin Red Robin located on Randall road this past Saturday and was pleasantly surprised they did NOT have a posted on their door. I know Red Robin is listed in the Hall of Shame. So, I wonder if this is an oversight or if this location has chosen to take the high road? I didn't dare bring this to the attention of the manager.

I was at the Algonquin Red Robin located on Randall road this past Saturday and was pleasantly surprised they did NOT have a posted on their door. I know Red Robin is listed in the Hall of Shame. So, I wonder if this is an oversight or if this location has chosen to take the high road? I didn't dare bring this to the attention of the manager.

Red Robin has both corporate stores and franchise stores. There are a lot of businesses where someone in corporate is somewhat anti, but individual franchise owners or store managers are not. I will continue to patronize locations that aren't posted in support of local franchisees. (Plus, I really like their burgers.) For a lot of businesses, it's just up to the franchise owner. So for instance while many Applebee's are posted (b/c their biggest franchise owner is very anti), many are not (b/c many of the smaller franchise owners are not against freedom.) I would suggest not bringing it to the manager though, in case it's an oversight. :)

Archived