Chicago Business Owners

phillster

Hello,

I am a business owner in Chicago but I am not a resident. I was wondering if I would still be required to have a Chicago Firearms Permit. I keep seeing the word "resident" used whenever I try to research this topic.

I am still leaning towards the fact that I do need one.

I don't think Chicago has a Non-Resident permit. Were you going to try to keep a firearm in your place of business? You may be out of luck on this.

The Chicago Firearm Permit Course is required for residents who wish to purchase and maintain a firearm in their home. There is no provision in Chicago that allows a business owner to have a firearm at his/her place of business - although state law does permit this.

Chicago, being a home rule unit of local government, does not allow business owners to have a firearm at their place of business.

Unless you are a convicted felon who also happens to own a bar on the south side.

Well, of course. If you have political connections, you can do whatever you want. Chicago isn't called the "most corrupt city in America" without good reason. But the law-abiding citizens who wish to protect themselves are out of luck.

Chicago does allow for a long gun in places of businesses, but not handguns per their new 2010 ordinance. Prior to that, business owners could have handguns in their places of business. Approved and registered shotguns and rifles are legal to have in places of business. How,that relates to non-Chicago residents is something I suggest you get a lawyer for.

Chicago does allow for a long gun in places of businesses, but not handguns per their new 2010 ordinance. Prior to that, business owners could have handguns in their places of business. Approved and registered shotguns and rifles are legal to have in places of business. How,that relates to non-Chicago residents is something I suggest you get a lawyer for.

Chicago does not allow Modern Sporting Rifles such as the AR-15. ( Yet ), so it looks like you are stuck with something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IVCwYPjFXc

Archived