Photo

What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#241 skottieusa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted Today, 09:54 AM

For those who bought an OTF knife, do you have issue with blade play?

My ultratech has a very little but I understand that to be normal. Honestly, I like this auto a lot more than I expected to. There really is a nice, honest functionality and practicality to an auto opening and closing blade. I expected it to be more a toy or gimmick but after having it in pocket as an edc I have come to really appreciate it. And, as an otf, I can move it from right to left carry w/o any issue.

#242 splash

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted Today, 11:13 AM

Follow up question. What is the acceptable blade play for side to side or up and down for OTF knife. My raven crest titan had this slight blade play. The reason is the opening is slightly wider than the thickness of blade about 2mm.

NRA | ISRA Member

#243 skottieusa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted Today, 12:24 PM

Not sure on that but anything more than a slight wiggle is suspect for me. I understand a slight wiggle is completely normal and acceptable for an otf auto.

#244 kemikos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted Today, 07:37 PM

Follow up question. What is the acceptable blade play for side to side or up and down for OTF knife. My raven crest titan had this slight blade play. The reason is the opening is slightly wider than the thickness of blade about 2mm.

Any of the Chinese pot-metal OTF's (Lightning, Raven Crest, Delta Force, etc, whether assembled here or imported ) are likely to have a lot more blade play than the machined aluminum frames on more expensive knives. 

They can still be quite usable, but there's a reason Microtech and Benchmade OTF's are $$$.

There's only one D/A OTF with no blade play: the G&G Hawk Deadlock. It's an amazing piece of engineering, and is a gorgeous knife, but it comes at a price: the base model is $1300, and options can push it over $2000.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users

Roger Z, HeavyDuty