Quinn talk up his own gun ban

Tvandermyde

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/quinn-dismisses-emanuel-gun-plan-talks-of-his-own/article_87b3ab2c-542e-11e1-b26b-001871e3ce6c.html

SPRINGFIELD -- Opponents of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's proposal to launch a statewide gun registration system found an ally Friday -- sort of.

In comments to reporters, Gov. Pat Quinn brushed off questions about Emanuel's controversial plan and said he'd rather spend his political capital trying to enact two other gun control measures he believes might have a better chance of being approved in the General Assembly.

"I think we need to have an agenda that gets enough votes," Quinn said.

Emanuel enraged downstate lawmakers Thursday when he proposed gun owners pay a $65 fee to register their firearms with the state.

The mayor believes the registry will make it easier for police to track down guns used in crimes.

Quinn, however, said he'd rather ban certain kinds of large-capacity semiautomatic weapons and ensure there are more sufficient background checks on people who purchase weapons at flea markets and gun shows.

"These are issues that I think we can build majorities around," Quinn said.

Although some gun rights opponents are against both of the ideas Quinn recommended Friday, it was Emanuel's registration proposal that drew the ire of downstate lawmakers Thursday.

State Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton, called the idea "crazy," while state Rep. Bill Mitchell, R-Forsyth, said it was "extreme."

Copyright 2012 pantagraph.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Read more: http://www.pantagraph.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/quinn-dismisses-emanuel-gun-plan-talks-of-his-own/article_87b3ab2c-542e-11e1-b26b-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1m28joACq

Aha the ole hit em with something extreme to get the masses riled up and then try to pass something that could be considered not as bad (if your an anti yourself) trick.

I have talked to several no gun owners and this even has them saying What the hey!!!. These arent antis just non gun owners. I agree we need every gun owner in the state involved right now. We also need a huge turn out at IGOLD this year. Unfortunately it looks like the number of people I am bringing this year will go down by one instead of up.

large-capacity semiautomatic weapons

At least he did not call them "Assault Weapons" "Assault Clips" or "Assault Bullets".

Rhams handgun registration thingie MIGHT be DOA be we need to be careful, it could be slipped through on a simple majority vote without a ton of warning.

more sufficient background checks on people who purchase weapons at flea markets

Do you downstate guys REALLY have guns at flea markets? I have been to a good number of them in the Chicago area, round Wisconsin and in the Cleveland area too. Only ever saw one guy selling guns about 45 mins outside Cleveland and that was just a couple of old shotguns. Maybe I am just going to the wrong flea markets....

Seriously. we need to get every gun owner in this State involved right now.

I seen a article on channel 4 in st Louis about all of this. They said Jello "wants this debated"

This will be on at 10 also.... Someone from here was on also, a gun store owner named Mark P

Was it someone from BSR? I've seen channel 4 do interviews there before.

I seen a article on channel 4 in st Louis about all of this. They said Jello "wants this debated"

This will be on at 10 also.... Someone from here was on also, a gun store owner named Mark P

2old2play, IllinoisCarry member and firearm instructor did the interview for us. Hopefully there will be a

link to the segment after it airs tonight.

2old2play, IllinoisCarry member and firearm instructor did the interview for us. Hopefully there will be a

link to the segment after it airs tonight.

There was only a story about an AD w/ a derringer in St. Charles, didn't see anything about Gov. Jello, unless i missed it....

Do these morons not understand that background checks are already required for ALL gun transfers whether it's from an FFL holder, gun shop, or private owner?

Background checks are NOT required for private sales of firearms in IL as long as you are not on the grounds of a recognized gun show. That includes the parking lot. You must only determine that the buyer/seller has a valid FOID and keep details of the sale for 10 years. Any sale done on the grounds of a gun show, whether by a licensed dealer or a private individual must have a background check. Of course FFL dealers must always run a BG check.

Tim

Quinn, however, said he'd rather ban certain kinds of large-capacity semiautomatic weapons.

What in the @#&% is a "large capacity" weapon? I'm guessing that it must be an especially SCARY firearm! Remember when Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy was pushing for more gun control? She was asked "What IS a barrel shroud?" and she replied ""I believe it is a shoulder thing that goes up." Which begs the question - What in the @#&% is a "shoulder thing that goes up."?? Are they SO frightened by the scary firearms that they can't even research what it is that they want to ban??

Do these morons not understand that background checks are already required for ALL gun transfers whether it's from an FFL holder, gun shop, or private owner?

Background checks are NOT required for private sales of firearms in IL as long as you are not on the grounds of a recognized gun show. That includes the parking lot. You must only determine that the buyer/seller has a valid FOID and keep details of the sale for 10 years. Any sale done on the grounds of a gun show, whether by a licensed dealer or a private individual must have a background check. Of course FFL dealers must always run a BG check.

Tim

Right, you need a FOID for private transfers. One doesn't get a FOID without a background check.

Also FOID gets revoked under certain conditions.

The end result is that the FOID along with private transfers requiring paper documentation creates background checks for all gun transfers AND creates a mechanism for law enforcement to trace the origins of any gun owned by an IL resident. All that is required is for the various government agencies to remain vigilant when it comes to doing their jobs as well as people like us playing by the rules. The crooks of course don't have FOIDs and don't document the other crooks they transfer their guns to.

What these morons want they already have. They are either too dumb to realize it or simply don't care. Maybe both.

Tim

Right, you need a FOID for private transfers. One doesn't get a FOID without a background check.

The end result is that the FOID along with private transfers requiring paper documentation creates background checks for all gun transfers AND creates a mechanism for law enforcement to trace the origins of any gun owned by an IL resident. All that is required is for the various government agencies to remain vigilant when it comes to doing their jobs as well as people like us playing by the rules. The crooks of course don't have FOIDs and don't document the other crooks they transfer their guns to.

What these morons want they already have. They are either too dumb to realize it or simply don't care. Maybe both.

By that logic, you are correct, private transfers require a FOID which reguires a BG check.

In response to your last line, they know exactly what they have, and they know exactly what they want. Total Control!!

And they operate on the theory that if you tell a lie enough times, it becomes the truth. If they call for something often enough, the general public becomes used to hearing it, and eventually conceeds to the rhetoric. In fact, sometimes they just assume that it already is the law of the land. You can find that even here on this board sometimes when dealing with obscure laws and ordinances.

We must keep focused on our goal. These bills have come up in the past, and most recently have been beat down handily, even to the point that they don't get called for a vote.

Keep calling. Call Quinn's office, call Rahm's office, call your legislators and demand their suppor or thank them for their ongoing support. Pick out an anti legislator, even if they don't directly represent you and call their office and voice your opposition to their inane bills. What they introduce and potentially pass in their chamber will affect the whole state. So in that way, they DO represent you.

Keep the pressure on. Melt some phones and computers in Springfield and around the state.

This crap must stop!!

Tim

simply don't care.

They are really interested in causing a distraction that diverts our efforts.

Yes. That, and also posturing for their supporters at the Brady Bunch and elsewhere. The politicians who float these gun grabbing ideas don't care in the slightest that they have no impact on crime, and that they do nothing but harass law-abiding gun owners. They just know they "look good" to the anti-gun group, and they can put it in their campaign literature. (Stopped crime by ...) The fact that it's completely false is irrelevant to them.

I have said for years (though I thought Daley would have been smart enough to see it) that when Chicago realized what an untapped goldmine it had with legal gun ownership taxation their eyes would be the size of silver dollars!

Now, I have never been to a flea market that sells gun. Though I do attend guns shows I don't see it as a practical way to purchase a gun. If I only own lever or bolt action (with limited capacity) rifles and pump action shotguns (sans thumbhole stock) purchased via FOID and FFL. And revolvers that I $65 (every five years) register with the state and promise to only take them out of my house cased and unloaded then THEY will leave me alone for the rest of my life, right?

Pretty sure I'll be on an IGOLD bus this year, so long as there isn't a law preventing it...

Quinn had 30% approval numbers come out a couple days ago, maybe he thinks this will get em back up.

+ 1

But he's an idiot if he thinks that this will help. His "best" numbers were in the Chicago area, so he's playing to his "base." however, his numbers were awful down state and elsewhere, so even if his numbers improve in Chicago, they will crash everywhere else.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

background checks are already required for ALL gun transfers whether it's from an FFL holder, gun shop, or private owner?

Tim

By that logic, you are correct, private transfers require a FOID which reguires a BG check.

In response to your last line, they know exactly what they have, and they know exactly what they want. Total Control!!

And they operate on the theory that if you tell a lie enough times, it becomes the truth. If they call for something often enough, the general public becomes used to hearing it, and eventually conceeds to the rhetoric. In fact, sometimes they just assume that it already is the law of the land. You can find that even here on this board sometimes when dealing with obscure laws and ordinances.

We must keep focused on our goal. These bills have come up in the past, and most recently have been beat down handily, even to the point that they don't get called for a vote.

Keep calling. Call Quinn's office, call Rahm's office, call your legislators and demand their suppor or thank them for their ongoing support. Pick out an anti legislator, even if they don't directly represent you and call their office and voice your opposition to their inane bills. What they introduce and potentially pass in their chamber will affect the whole state. So in that way, they DO represent you.

Keep the pressure on. Melt some phones and computers in Springfield and around the state.

This crap must stop!!

Tim

It sounds like Quinn got a call from his boss in Chicago, Rahm Enamuel, to talk about enacting more gun control legislation. If anyone missed seeing the video on WSILTV.com about Emanuel's Gun Registration proposal go to www.WSILTV.com and search Emanuel Gun Registration. Show to your non-handgun owning firearm owning Quinn and ask them to support license to carry legislation, even if they don't intend to get a license to carry themselves. Listen to Emanuel talk about handgun registration being like registering a car and then he slips up and says "rifle registration is like registering a motorcycle. Let those friends who just use a firearm for hunting know they will be next, if this should go throught. I wouldn't bother calling your legislator if you know they support us, unless its to say "Thanks for your support!" and "I'll be voting for you in November"if they're running for reelection.

Quinn had 30% approval numbers come out a couple days ago, maybe he thinks this will get em back up.

+ 1

But he's an idiot if he thinks that this will help. His "best" numbers were in the Chicago area, so he's playing to his "base." however, his numbers were awful down state and elsewhere, so even if his numbers improve in Chicago, they will crash everywhere else.

He doesnt care about the rest of the state, it is Chicago that elects the Governor.

+ 1

He doesnt care about the rest of the state, it is Chicago that elects the Governor.

Correct. And the last election proved that to be true. Only so much can be done downstate. Until dowstate legislators unite for our cause, nothing will change.

30% my a$$. I would bet that number is about 5% especially after the Tax Hike. Who is doing these skewed polls?

gang bangers generally dont pay income tax so they arent concerned with the hike

Yep...you have to remember that a large percentage of those that voted for Quinn don't pay taxes. The reap the benefit from the rest of us paying more. :headbang1:

Just how do they think a gun registration will help them solve crimes? Do people still believe that bullets are like finger prints? There've been cases where 2 bullets from the same gun didn't match.

Let's not even get into the fact that illegal guns (the ones used for 99% of the crimes) are never registered, and the fact that the registered guns don't magically create a resource where someone could do a ballistics analysis. How do stupid people keep getting elected?

Archived