Wedding guest hit with gun charge in Back of the Yards

Chris

I think this is the proper place this.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/11/wedding-guest-hit-with-gun-charge-in-back-of-the-yards.html

November 28, 2010 6:03 PM | No Comments

An Indiana man was arrested Saturday night at a wedding in the Back of the Yards neighborhood after he was seen dancing with a gun holstered at his hip, prosecutors said today.

Seeing the 9mm handgun strapped to his waist while he partied in the foyer of a church gym, an off-duty police officer working security arrested Samuel Caballero-Solis, 51, of Indianapolis about 8:30 p.m. in the 1900 block of West 48th Street.

The off-duty officer disarmed him and called police.

He was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and Cook County Criminal Court Judge Israel Desierto set Caballero-Solis' bail at $10,000 today.

The judge joked about the discrepancy between local gun laws and generally less rigid rules across the eastern border.

"He is from Indiana," the judge said.

-- Dan Hinkel

I think this is the proper place this.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/11/wedding-guest-hit-with-gun-charge-in-back-of-the-yards.html

November 28, 2010 6:03 PM | No Comments

An Indiana man was arrested Saturday night at a wedding in the Back of the Yards neighborhood after he was seen dancing with a gun holstered at his hip, prosecutors said today.

Seeing the 9mm handgun strapped to his waist while he partied in the foyer of a church gym, an off-duty police officer working security arrested Samuel Caballero-Solis, 51, of Indianapolis about 8:30 p.m. in the 1900 block of West 48th Street.

The off-duty officer disarmed him and called police.

He was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and Cook County Criminal Court Judge Israel Desierto set Caballero-Solis' bail at $10,000 today.

The judge joked about the discrepancy between local gun laws and generally less rigid rules across the eastern border.

"He is from Indiana," the judge said.

-- Dan Hinkel

The man may be from Indiana, the judge must be from Mars or Pluto! $10,000.00 bail and the gun never left the holster! Now that's some BS!

Is it too much to hope that the judge rules in line with Heller/McDonald and declares Illinois UUW/Ag UUW unconstitutional? I'll cross my fingers, but won't be holding my breath.

Poor guy. Comes to Illinois for a wedding and winds up with a felony charge for doing what is completely legal and normal in his state (I'm assuming he has a valid Indiana carry permit).I'm not a lawyer by a long shot, but if he wasn't misbehaving, I think the security/OFF duty was extremely wrong in calling in the police, a quick check for proper permit and a reminder of Illinois law and a chance to comply would have been the proper thing to do.

Is it too much to hope that the judge rules in line with Heller/McDonald and declares Illinois UUW/Ag UUW unconstitutional? I'll cross my fingers, but won't be holding my breath.

Poor guy. Comes to Illinois for a wedding and winds up with a felony charge for doing what is completely legal and normal in his state (I'm assuming he has a valid Indiana carry permit).I'm not a lawyer by a long shot, but if he wasn't misbehaving, I think the security/OFF duty was extremely wrong in calling in the police, a quick check for proper permit and a reminder of Illinois law and a chance to comply would have been the proper thing to do.

Based on FBI UCR data, you are probably 99.99% correct in your assumption. According to the FBI, felons do not wear holsters, they are incriminating for persons where possession of a firearm is a 5-yr mandatory sentence upon conviction.

The few news reports posted do not indicate if the non-English speaking offender (it is reported he used a translator in court) does or does not have a valid Indiana carry permit.

Even if he does have one it does not change the need to know the local laws when one chooses to carry. He would not be the 1st person in that neighborhood to illegally carry - lol

Archived