1873 Revolver Input

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 r4ndy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

I am looking to add my first (and probably only) revolver. I like the old west style revolvers and was thinking about an Uberti Cattleman II in 357. I am not going to compete in SASS, just looking for a range gun. My question is are the cattleman II safe to load six rounds? From what I have read there is a block to keep the firing pin from dropping on the round, but I have also read where this is not truly safe even for this model. Trying to understand the safety better before deciding on this or a more modern style 357. I want the cowboy, as I plan to get a matching lever rifle. However, I am questioning how much I will like it if it is really a 5 round revolver I need to pay special attention to when loading. This also means when I bring out the toys for friends this will likely stay home to avoid having to explain the more complicated loading to keep the cylinder lined up with the barrel empty. Any other thoughts on 1873 revolvers and brands appreciated. Thanks

#2 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

Looks like the newest models have a transfer bar type system, so they would be safe to carry with 6 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 rmart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

The only time you'd load five is when you're carrying in a holster or not actively shooting it. For a range gun it's perfectly safe to load all six chambers while shooting.

The purpose of keeping the hammer over an empty chamber while carrying it or in a holster is so that the hammer doesn't impact the primer if the hammer is inadvertently struck by something.

That said, I say that Uberti revolver in the Bass Pro ad and thought it would be fun to own. I've been looking for an American Western Arms Ultimate 1873 for years now with no success. I'm also dreaming about a Cimarron Evil Roy with a plain barrel (no printing stamped into it). Just no money until I find a new job.

NRA Endowment Life Member

ISRA Member

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Father of two great kids and husband of one great wife

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars... ~unknown

Right-wing action is the cleanup crew for left-wing fantasy ~Greg Gutfeld Nov 2015

"A general dissolution of the principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy.

While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but once they lose their virtue, they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." ~ Samuel Adams 1779 to James Warren

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster

#4 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:45 AM

I own two Cattlemans, one imported by Uberti and the other by Taylor's. They have the "safety" that uses the cylinder pin to block the hammer, similar to a decocker a more modern gun. It still is recommended by Uberti to carry only with five chambers. I spoke with someone on the phone at Taylor's who works in their gunsmithing section. He stated that this apparently hasn't been good enough and Uberti has since gone to the Cattleman II design that uses a transfer bar-type system. Neither of mine have this system as it affected the trigger feel too much for me. I already owned one that came out before the transfer bar system was created, so I wanted a gun to match. The guy at Taylor's said that eventually all Uberti guns would use this system, but that they were only introducing it on one variation at a time. He suspected that over the course of this year they would be making that transition more common.

The last time I was at Gat Guns they had several Cattlemans imported under various names to try out. If you can make it there then you should check them out.

You can also always check out Ruger. I have a Blackhawk that I love, but it's a bit heavy. The post-2006 Vaquero is the same size as an 1873, but has a transfer bar mechanism designed into it from the get-go. I wanted the four clicks/stop when the cylinder is aligned with the loading gate. The Blackhawk doesn't have this, so you have to hold the cylinder while loading and unloading. I'm not sure about the Vaquero, but I think it's the same way? I've also read that you can remove a pawl on the Vaquero that allows it to rate in either direcrion. Perhaps some of the cowboy shooters can ellaborate.

#5 r4ndy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like an excuse to go to Gat :)

Edited by r4ndy, 15 July 2017 - 06:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users