Rockford - Winnebago Right to Carry Town Hall Meeting

Molly B.

Rather long article in the Rockford Register-Star! Great work, everyone!!

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x740684566/More-than-200-attend-concealed-carry-event-in-Rockford

U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger; state Sen. Dave Syverson, R-Rockford; Winnebago County State’s Attorney Joe Bruscato; and Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey each spoke about why they believe concealed carry is a vital tool for Illinois residents to have to protect themselves.

Morrissey, a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which supports gun control initiatives, said he supports concealed carry on a professional level and on a personal level.

“I see every day our challenges for law enforcement,” he said. “The vast majority of crimes committed with guns are not by those with firearm owner’s identification cards.”

On a personal level, the mayor spoke of threats against his life as a citizen and as mayor.

“It’s a very chilling experience and disempowering and a feeling of weakness,” he said.

The latest threat prompted him to seek and receive security protection from the Rockford Police Department.

“I’m in a privileged position to get that protection. What about everybody else?”

Morrissey also said if he learns that MAIG is against concealed carry he would renounce his membership.

Wow. I didn't know that about Morrissey!

I'll be darned, that's some great coverage. Someone said that God often uses the insignifigant to accomplish the immpossible. For those of you in the trenches, that's who you are and that's precisly what you're doing. I mean in the sense that you're not congressmen, senators or public talking heads. You are regular every day citizens who are fighting the good fight to organize and bring all this together and I think that's what patriots are.

I typically don’t say much on this site but, I Just wanted to say that I attended last night and what a great turn out. The response and enthusiasm was stimulating.

I was impressed with Rep. Kinzinger, and SA Joe Bruscato’s opinions. These are the types of people that will help to change the political climate here in the land of denied right’s.

It was good to see someone put Mayor Morrissey on the spot about his connection to MAIG. I think his explanation was fair.

I introduced myself to Kenny, and let him know I’ve been watching the progress of his shop on line. I hope to visit it soon.

Thank to all who work so hard to progress this forward.

Dale

“I believe some form of concealed carry in Illinois is just a matter of time,” Winnebago County Sheriff Dick Meyers said. “It is better to adopt legislation that creates appropriate requirements for both training and possession, with those standards applied uniformly throughout the state.”

That would mean in Chicago too!

Eugene

I was there last night and what a great turnout we had! It was great to hear from so many officials that support Right to Carry. I knew Syverson, Kinzinger, etc are on our side, but I had no idea that the Rockford officials were supporters as well. It really was a very encouraging event.

Rep. Chuck Jefferson did vote "No" last spring (but I heard he voted "Yes" before changing it to "No"?). I recommend that he hear from as many of us as possible. I sent him an email asking what his position on the issue is, since he didn't provide one last night. Hopefully I get a response.

His email is: staterepchuck67@aol.com

His Rockford Phone is: (815) 987-7433

His Springfield Phone is: (217) 782-3167

Lets make enough noise that he can't ignore us anymore! I would be happy with just a statement from him, even if he doesn't support it. To me, the only thing worse than a representative that votes to oppress our rights is a representative that won't even reply to his constituents.

I was there last night and what a great turnout we had! It was great to hear from so many officials that support Right to Carry. I knew Syverson, Kinzinger, etc are on our side, but I had no idea that the Rockford officials were supporters as well. It really was a very encouraging event.

Rep. Chuck Jefferson did vote "No" last spring (but I heard he voted "Yes" before changing it to "No"?). I recommend that he hear from as many of us as possible. I sent him an email asking what his position on the issue is, since he didn't provide one last night. Hopefully I get a response.

Lets make enough noise that he can't ignore us anymore! I would be happy with just a statement from him, even if he doesn't support it. To me, the only thing worse than a representative that votes to oppress our rights is a representative that won't even reply to his constituents.

I emailed him two weeks ago inviting him to come to the townhall meeting. I guess he hasn't read it yet. It was good to hear all the support we have from Rockford people.

What is his email address?

:headbang1: :lips sealed:

Like a couple others I don't speak nearly as much as I read on this site. But I was there Wednesday and I have to say it was pretty inspiring. I knew we were short last year, but hearing those "public talking heads" state that they are alongside us in the fight for our freedoms was pretty incredible. I unfortunately didn't get to meet anyone or stick around for the question and answer section as I had to pick up my son but I was able to get a couple of those raffle tickets. But to sum this up I wanted to thank everyone who had a part in this as I believe it is meetings like this that will help us in swaying the uninformed to our side.

Duh, My eyes aren't what they used to be I guess. If that email address had been a snake it would have bit me.

:Drunk emoticon: :thumbsup:

Archived