Photo

University of Virginia cancels traditional 21 gun salute to veterans on Veterans Day because.....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 steveTA84

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

Because muh gun violence.

https://www.thecolle...s-day-ceremony/

Citing gun violence, the University of Virginia has canceled the 21-gun salute portion of its Veterans Day ceremony, an annual tradition that dates back at least a decade.

In a statement posted to social media on Saturday, university President James Ryan stated the reason was two-fold: to minimize disruptions to classes, given that this event is located at the juncture of four primary academic buildings and is held at a time that classes are in session; and second, recognizing concerns related to firing weapons on the Grounds in light of gun violence that has happened across our nation, especially on school and university campuses.

According to the local ABC news affiliate WHSV, the annual ceremony marks the conclusion of a 24-hour vigil by ROTC cadets and has included the 21-gun salute for more than a decade, but the decision to nix the salute was made by the provosts office in conjunction with the colonel of UVAs ROTC program.

Cant even honor the dead that served correctly anymore

#2 Buzzard

• Members
  • 9,415 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

It's very, very sad, indeed!

#3 borgranta

• Members
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

I am surprised they did not openly express hatred to the military
The following referral code will grant provide a new User of Uber a free ride up to $15
donaldd4557ui

#4 jim123

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

I'm surprised they aren't calling for a chicken sandwich ban after the sudden spike in Popeye's Chicken Sandwich violence.

https://www.wral.com...lates/18758143/

https://www.kansasci...e237221196.html

https://www.foxnews....ays-viral-video

#5 lilguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

Death by a thousand cuts. The conspiracy against gun rights is wide and deep. Billionaires, politicians, schools and churches along with Moms. The erosion is continuous and relentless.

#6 SiliconSorcerer

• 2,782 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

If you mention Popeye's Chicken your a racist... 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#7 Xwing

• Members
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:15 PM

I am surprised they did not openly express hatred to the military

The leftists can't say what they truly feel about America and our military, so they take it out on firearms instead.  More politically correct that way...

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#8 spec4

• Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:43 PM

Pure unadulterated liberalism in action.

#9 Bitter Clinger

• Members
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:53 PM

Death by a thousand cuts. The conspiracy against gun rights is wide and deep. Billionaires, politicians, schools and churches along with Moms. The erosion is continuous and relentless.

They're succeeding since I just saw a poll about the top 5 issues in America in regards to the presidential election and "mass shootings" was number 2.

#10 ragsbo

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

I heard about that! Nothing but pure stupidity and indoctrination. Someone needs to be fired

#11 ScopeEye

• 1,294 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

Commies 

Now days there every where

#12 RyanC

• 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:11 PM

So much for Virginia showing the respect our great Veterans deserve. Especially on Veterans day. Thank you to all who served.

#13 framos242

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:48 PM

What a bunch of bull....

#14 wazzle

• Members
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

Big question is why wasn't the school closed for the holiday? SIU was closed along with all the public schools. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#15 oohrah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:29 AM

The irony is that the 21 gun salute was originally a gesture of peace - ships clearing their cannons to show they were not hostile.
USMC, Retired
Waco, Texas
Texas LTC
Illinois CCL
SASS 105352

#16 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 4,146 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

The irony is that the 21 gun salute was originally a gesture of peace - ships clearing their cannons to show they were not hostile.

You know that the history and thus the irony is lost on idiots who are prejudiced against self-protection and firearms, right?

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

InX89li.jpg

#17 Flynn

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

You know that the history and thus the irony is lost on idiots who are prejudiced against self-protection and firearms, right?

I find that in regards to History most liberals don't have a clue.

Want to really get them going, explain to them that minimum wage is an idea born from racism and the same racist ideals that birthed it apply today as well meaning it's literally still racist idea.

Edited by Flynn, 13 November 2019 - 04:17 PM.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#18 steveTA84

• 5,840 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:36 AM

U of V president said “he made a mistake” and that going forward they’ll be doing the 21 gun salute. Nice stunt.....

#19 EdDinIL

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

U of V president said “he made a mistake” and that going forward they’ll be doing the 21 gun salute. Nice stunt.....

Until next year, when the new all-blue government bans firearm salutes. 

Life Member: NRA, ISRA, SAF

#20 quackersmacker

• 2,011 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

If alumni nationwide stopped writing checks in an organized message, this campus crap would miraculously stop.

Life Member --- NRA Endowment Level
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member --- Tennessee Gun Owners
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users