First purchase

@ramseyer24,

I absolutely and strongly agree with @The King. Take a basic pistol class before even considering what king of pistol you're going to buy. Most instructors have a variety of pistols that you can handle and dry fire during the class. it's also critical to fully understand how everything in your pistol functions. More than anything, basic pistol covers the #1 RULE OF FIREARMS, safety. You can find basic pistol courses for good prices if you shop around. Also worth checking out the instructor's background and read some reviews on his or her courses.

Only then, can you begin to formulate which direction you want to go in as far as your first purchase. There are a ton of choices at all price ranges these days. Also check out youtube for video reviews of any pistol that you're considering. As others have mentioned, after you've had basic pistol training, go to a range that rents pistols. Try a few out to see what you're comfortable with.

Good luck to you and your wife, and as @The King said, get that training. It's worth every dime and could potentially save you from a serious accident. In my book of rules, one can never have too much training when it comes to firearms. As far as where to buy, I like to support local shops when I can. That being said, slickguns.com has some amazing deals every single day. You can buy online and have the pistol sent to your FFL. Shoot straight and be safe. Welcome to IC.

JDW

Archived