Out of state carry while waiting for renewal

ILgunguy

I would take a hard copy of the receipt for your renewal and a copy of the statute. 430 ILCS 66/70

This seems reasonable...but law enforcement is far from reasonable in many cases. If you choose to do this, expect a verbal confrontation at the very least...and be aware that putting up a verbal defense may, in fact, incriminate you in a crime.

I would get a lawyer's opinion on this. Make sure the lawyer is well-versed in gun laws and the CCL statutes.

There are no states that have reciprocity with Illinois, There are many states that will honor Illinois or any other state license or permit. I would be leery if they would honor an expired license from the very special state of Illinois.

and be aware of the other states laws....... pretty good chance if you leave this state youre going somewhere that doesnt require any type of proof you are human enough to exercise basic human rights

Handgunlaw.us is one of the best sites on the internet to check this out before travelling to other states.

Other things to consider would be:

How likely are you to get into a life threatening situation that would require the use of a gun?

How likely are you to interact with LEO for any reason?

How like is the officer going to ask if you have a weapon?

I think all of the above are very unlikely to occur, but:

If you run into a overzealous cop, you can hire a lawyer.

If you run into a life threatening situation and are not armed, you or your survivors may have to pay a hospital, surgeon, and/or a mortician.

Make your own risk/benefit assessment. I will not make the decision for others.

Relatively moot point for many of us (those who carry multiple CCLs).

Illinois will honor expired Illinois License.

Most of the other States you’d be legal to carry in you’d be legal under other licenses....

Think, for example, Illinois + Fla Non-res = 37 states (Illinois + 36 states) where just the Fla non-res gets you 34 of those states.

(Too lazy to ferret out which 2(?) you’d lose since I’ve no travel plans at present)

Relatively moot point for many of us (those who carry multiple CCLs).

Illinois will honor expired Illinois License.

Most of the other States you’d be legal to carry in you’d be legal under other licenses....

Think, for example, Illinois + Fla Non-res = 37 states (Illinois + 36 states) where just the Fla non-res gets you 34 of those states.

(Too lazy to ferret out which 2(?) you’d lose since I’ve no travel plans at present)

This is true, but some states only recognize resident CCLs.

Last I heard, applying about a month before you expire was getting the renewed license in the mail in time. I'd apply well in advance to be safe...

Well, I'm now two months since renewal and still under review.

I will consider Indiana safe since I have a couple other licenses, but will scratch Michigan and Wisconsin until the new ILL one arrives.

Last I heard, applying about a month before you expire was getting the renewed license in the mail in time. I'd apply well in advance to be safe...

Well, I'm now two months since renewal and still under review.

I will consider Indiana safe since I have a couple other licenses, but will scratch Michigan and Wisconsin until the new ILL one arrives.

You can carry in Wisconsin with Utah or Arizona.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I also haze AZ CWP. Covers just about all the states that I carry in regularly, except Michigan.

0 worries in IL. I’m leaving my receipt and a copy of the law only in my car. Really the only place I would police interaction is in my car and even that hasn’t happened since before I got CCL.

Took about 67 days for mine. That’s applying for renewal to license in hand.

Mine took maybe 23 days, but that was back in Nov, when perhaps things weren't as busy.

BigJim, what you say is true- except that for me, not having those tickets in hand, not going to work.

On a more cheerful note, West Virginia went permit-less last summer, so when I got my Mountain State ride in this autumn, I saved the hundred bucks I used to spend on the Virginia non-res license (which was my easy way to West Virginia).

On a more cheerful note, West Virginia went permit-less last summer, so when I got my Mountain State ride in this autumn, I saved the hundred bucks I used to spend on the Virginia non-res license (which was my easy way to West Virginia).

Pennsylvania would have been a lot less expensive than Virginia.

Gamma, West Virginia did not accept the Pennsylvania license the last time I was in the neighborhood. I suppose that speaks to my not spending enough time in the neighborhood. And, my Pennsylvania license had run out anyway, and getting up to Bellefonte just never seemed to happen.

Road trip!

And, to get back to the topic, I'm still on "Under Review".

2 1/2 months waiting on IL renewal, stuck at "under review", has cost me my Penn license that I just got from them last year. Living in IL is just a cascade of crap.

How do you know that your Pennsylvania license is no longer valid? Did they send you a notification?

On Friday, I received a registered letter from the county sheriff that approved my LTCF stating that I had 5 days from receipt of the letter to return the LTCF or be in violation of Penn law, subject to a $300 fine and/or imprisonment of up to 90 days. I assume the Penn state police and county sheriffs exercise more due diligence than their IL cohorts, so my LTCF is in the mail.

2 1/2 months waiting on IL renewal, stuck at "under review", has cost me my Penn license that I just got from them last year. Living in IL is just a cascade of crap.

How do you know that your Pennsylvania license is no longer valid? Did they send you a notification?

On Friday, I received a registered letter from the county sheriff that approved my LTCF stating that I had 5 days from receipt of the letter to return the LTCF or be in violation of Penn law, subject to a $300 fine and/or imprisonment of up to 90 days. I assume the Penn state police and county sheriffs exercise more due diligence than their IL cohorts, so my LTCF is in the mail.

WOW !!! Is there any way to appeal this and get your LTCF back ? If PA isn't as messed up as Illinois you may be able to talk to someone in charge. sorry to hear this happening to you.

WOW !!! Is there any way to appeal this and get your LTCF back ? If PA isn't as messed up as Illinois you may be able to talk to someone in charge. sorry to hear this happening to you.

No appeal, that's their law, which is pretty straight forward. No hard feelings towards PA or the sheriff's office. I'm PO'ed at IL for taking so long at what should be a hand wave: I already have 5 years IL CCW, I've gone through the class requirements twice, I haven't even had a traffic ticket in the past 5 years. In the last year, I also picked up a FL license as well as the PA CCW.

A renewal with clear documentation of the successful completion of the required class should be a quick process. IL created a re-registration scheme with its own bottleneck built in. I want to know what my $150 fee is paying for if they don't have enough staff to process these in a timely manner. This does affect our rights in other states.

What are they basing this on? Your IL CCL is still active if you submitted the renewal before the expiration date.

Archived