Photo

Is a holster required by law?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 jim123

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Not sure if you need one or not. What if you carry a Kel Tec PF9 with the optional belt clip.

I can't copy and paste a pic for some reason, but here's what I'm talking about from a youtube video except without his home made trigger guard. This gun also has a trigger pull like a double action only revolver. For 4 o'clock carry with regular jeans in the cold and cargo type shorts in the summer.

Just wondering.

Edited by jim123, 07 January 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#2 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Holster is NOT required by law. http://www.ilga.gov/...DF/098-0063.pdf

The word "Holster" appears nowhere in the law. The definition of a concealed firearm is as follows:

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

Edited by cgs, 07 January 2014 - 01:24 PM.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#3 III

Domari Nolo

• Members
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Not required by law...but I think you are taking an unecessary risk not keeping that trigger covered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

#4 ChadN.

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Holsters aren't required, but it's always a good idea keep that trigger covered.
Please note that all my comments in this thread are only my own opinion, and do not in any way represent IC, or anyone else's opinions. I am NOT a lawyer.

#5 cola490

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

You are going to hear the same thing said many ways, cover the trigger.

#6 III

Domari Nolo

• Members
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

What if you need to scratch an itch?

Original Thread: Here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

#7 Bud

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Seriously, take a look at all of the negligent discharges that occur when carrying. Almost all of them not using a holster or using a holster/attaching device that doesn't cover the trigger.

Why would you go against all of the very well experienced professionals who would urge you not to do this?
Bud

Winter is coming
and the White Walkers are already attacking the cities

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#8 xd9subcompact

• Members
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

I watched the video. Seems like a rube Goldberg setup to me. Draw and remove the guard? I suggest a good Don Hume leather IWB. Or equivalent.

#9 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Raven concealment makes a little Kydex trigger guard thingy that covers just the trigger and adds almost no bulk to the gun if your pocket carrying. Very small selection of guns that they make it for though, http://raven-conceal...nguard-holster/

Edited by mic6010, 07 January 2014 - 02:30 PM.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#10 III

Domari Nolo

• Members
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Raven concealment makes a little Kydex trigger guard thingy that covers just the trigger and adds almost no bulk to the gun if your pocket carrying. http://raven-conceal...nguard-holster/

Seems similar to the MIC Holster: HERE

#11 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Seriously, take a look at all of the negligent discharges that occur when carrying. Almost all of them not using a holster or using a holster/attaching device that doesn't cover the trigger.

Why would you go against all of the very well experienced professionals who would urge you not to do this?

Here's the thread winner ^^^^^^

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Sgt. Phil Compton (ishmo), "L" Company (RANGER) 75th Infantry - 101st Airborne Division (Vietnam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a brave soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 3rd Brigade - 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#12 SiliconSorcerer

• 2,782 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

No offense but have you completed the training, if they didn't cover this, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, they've failed miserably.

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#13 Tominator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Ever hear of a 'Hip Clip?' Used one for years....One of the reasons I bought the BG380 for a BUG was the safety. It is one of the few guns I'd ever try and carry without the trigger guard covered. Most revolver guys have done so for years.

#14 stoph68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I personally really like my MIC with a clip-draw attachment to my G26... No Way would I ever carry without the MIC though... Good way to shoot your a$$ off...

#15 papa

• Members
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

jim123 , I have a PF9 and I agree it does have a long trigger pull. However it is only about 5 - 6 lbs. where as a revolver has from 10 to 12 lb. trigger . Put it in a good holster and you won't have to worry about it moving around on you.

#16 Bud

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Ever hear of a 'Hip Clip?' Used one for years....One of the reasons I bought the BG380 for a BUG was the safety. It is one of the few guns I'd ever try and carry without the trigger guard covered. Most revolver guys have done so for years.

no one who has any real sense about carrying a firearm uses a "hip clip".

And I was a revolver guy for a couple of decades.

But, then again, I take carrying a loaded ready to fire firearm seriously. I am not tempted by fly by night ripoff tactical gear manufacturers who are making money by taking advantage of unskilled, inexperienced and untrained amateurs who have absolute zero experience doing something that I have been doing and teaching for more than four decades.

A carried unholstered gun is a negligent discharge looking for a place to occur.

It looks really cool in the movies and on TV but the only people who do it in real life are usually also criminals
Bud

Winter is coming

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#17 Xwing

• Members
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Holster is NOT required by law. http://www.ilga.gov/...DF/098-0063.pdf

The word "Holster" appears nowhere in the law. The definition of a concealed firearm is as follows:

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

Holster is not required by law. But it is "required" by common sense / good firearm discipline if you are going to carry it.

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#18 jim123

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the input. This looks like it will work.
http://www.ebay.com/...=p2054897.l4276

#19 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

I personally really like my MIC with a clip-draw attachment to my G26... No Way would I ever carry without the MIC though... Good way to shoot your a$$ off...

You carry in the back of your pants?
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#20 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

FWIW I know a cop that uses a pocket clip with a P3AT.

I would NOT recommend carrying without a holster that covers the trigger guard (MIC works). Too dangerous, but some people do it.
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#21 Bud

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

coincidentally, here's a thread posted on the 1911 forum just this morning and it's in Illinois:

http://forums.1911fo...etin-2014-01-07

Background minutes before he was walking his dogs, it was dark out and a salt truck, we live in a suburb of Chicago, was coming by and it scared the dogs they jumped pulling my friend, he had the dogs on leads. We had Coyotes in my backyard the night before and a number of times recently. Myself and my neighbor started carrying guns and very powerful lights at night when we take the dogs out. Anyway he had a 1911 in his coat pocket and his hand on the gun. When the dogs pulled him around he started losing his balance and obviously squeezed the trigger and shot himself. He had some serious defensive bullets in the gun, I don`t even think they are legal any more. Anyway the bullet went completely through his thigh. The police came followed by the Fire dept. and took him to the hospital. The police remained. What the police did is another story but this is getting to long now. He's recovering now and it looks like he will be fine but he still has a lot of pain. Docters said he`s very Lucky he didn`t hit any bone and missed all the arteries.

The moral and why I`m posting this is that no one should ever carry a 1911 with one in the chamber without the finger safety on. I never do and my friend knew better, we haven`t been kids for a very long time and have been involved with guns for many decades so this could have been avoided but chit happens.

Bud

Winter is coming

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#22 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

(Purple). Ahh the dreaded Serpa coat.
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#23 jim123

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

coincidentally, here's a thread posted on the 1911 forum just this morning and it's in Illinois:

http://forums.1911fo...etin-2014-01-07

Background minutes before he was walking his dogs, it was dark out and a salt truck, we live in a suburb of Chicago, was coming by and it scared the dogs they jumped pulling my friend, he had the dogs on leads. We had Coyotes in my backyard the night before and a number of times recently. Myself and my neighbor started carrying guns and very powerful lights at night when we take the dogs out. Anyway he had a 1911 in his coat pocket and his hand on the gun. When the dogs pulled him around he started losing his balance and obviously squeezed the trigger and shot himself. He had some serious defensive bullets in the gun, I don`t even think they are legal any more. Anyway the bullet went completely through his thigh. The police came followed by the Fire dept. and took him to the hospital. The police remained. What the police did is another story but this is getting to long now. He's recovering now and it looks like he will be fine but he still has a lot of pain. Docters said he`s very Lucky he didn`t hit any bone and missed all the arteries.

The moral and why I`m posting this is that no one should ever carry a 1911 with one in the chamber without the finger safety on. I never do and my friend knew better, we haven`t been kids for a very long time and have been involved with guns for many decades so this could have been avoided but chit happens.

That wasn't me.

#24 Bud

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

(Purple). Ahh the dreaded Serpa coat.

I saw what you did there Tex and it was a suburb of Chicago not Metamora

same leg wound though
Bud

Winter is coming

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#25 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

Just a joke, although I am a Texan.

Nothing covering the trigger guard is a bad idea.
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#26 Thiokol

• 2,494 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Before you waste any money on a holster that you have to buy sight unseen on fleabay, check out this spreadsheet of holster makers that's posted in the gear section. Here's the link: http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=29421 Look atheir websites and you'll find that there are much better holsters available.

Stick with a holster that is made by a well known manufacturer. You won't be sorry.

U.S. Air Force Veteran
ISRA Member
Smith & Wesson Collectors Association Member #2262

#27 Tominator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Well sir, we must disagree to an extent and I will not argue the point here.

In the past us old timers did a lot of things frowned upon today. We did not follow certain rules...yet somehow we survived! I'll let you figure out how.....

Sometimes we must adapt and overcome. I did not learn that from an 'expert on the internet.'

Respectfully....

Edited by Tominator, 07 January 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#28 Bud

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Well sir, we must disagree to an extent and I will not argue the point here.

In the past us old timers did a lot of things frowned upon today. We did not follow certain rules...yet somehow we survived! I'll let you figure out how.....

Sometimes we must adapt and overcome. I did not learn that from an 'expert on the internet.'

Respectfully....

give me a break
Bud

Winter is coming

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#29 Toche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

No one has mentioned this, but I would think that if you are going to carry with no round in the chamber...

If my son asked my advice, I would tell him to use a holster regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 cyclist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

And I was a revolver guy for a couple of decades.

But, then again, I take carrying a loaded ready to fire firearm seriously. I am not tempted by fly by night ripoff tactical gear manufacturers who are making money by taking advantage of unskilled, inexperienced and untrained amateurs who have absolute zero experience doing something that I have been doing and teaching for more than four decades.

A carried unholstered gun is a negligent discharge looking for a place to occur.

It looks really cool in the movies and on TV but the only people who do it in real life are usually also criminals

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THREAD WINNER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^