Jasper County Shame

tkroenlein

I think the problem started with the ISP.

I recently talked with 3 friends that applied for FOID cards. All 3 of my friends have had FOID cards in the past and had let them expire. During the application process they were denied. One of my friends is friends with our state senator and he was told that the ISP can't differentiate between a card that has expired or has been revoked.

That's a problem within Itself.

This particular situation seems different as it sounds like she applied for the renewal, so her card should be valid.

I'm going to wait and see what other information comes out.

He's a couple miles up the road from me and my wife works with him seasonly (currently.) I do not believe the post is a misrepresentation of the truth.

I'm sure the local LE acted professionally and were accommodating in facilitating the "transfer."

The problem is they showed up, period.

If I hear any info that suggests there is a legitimate reason for this gal to be deprived of her rights, I'll be sure to update.

He's a couple miles up the road from me and my wife works with him seasonly (currently.) I do not believe the post is a misrepresentation of the truth.

I'm sure the local LE acted professionally and were accommodating in facilitating the "transfer."

The problem is they showed up, period.

If I hear any info that suggests there is a legitimate reason for this gal to be deprived of her rights, I'll be sure to update.

Thank you, it's good to have someone local!

I see the problem with the revocation language. When you become revoked, that initiates the process of LEO'S coming to ensure you are not in possession of firearms.

Maybe when you're cards expire it should be considered a simple suspension and not considered a problem.

How does the mere possession of a FOID card or FCCL automatically make you a firearm owner. It doesn't and it shouldn't. I think they're using the revocation process as a backdoor to registration. Once revoked you are required to fill out a firearms disposition form identifying all of your firearms and who will be in possession of them.

This whole process needs to be done away with.

VOID the FOID

How does the mere possession of a FOID card or FCCL automatically make you a firearm owner. ...

When your FOID is "revoked," the ISP requests all FFLs that transferred firearms to you to provide them with copies of your 4473s, which includes manufacturer, model, and serial numbers of the firearms. If that list is empty, I suppose they might not do anything. Meanwhile if it's not, they match that list to the list of dispositions they require you to provide to make sure you accounted for them all.

How does the mere possession of a FOID card or FCCL automatically make you a firearm owner. ...

When your FOID is "revoked," the ISP requests all FFLs that transferred firearms to you to provide them with copies of your 4473s, which includes manufacturer, model, and serial numbers of the firearms. If that list is empty, I suppose they might not do anything. Meanwhile if it's not, they match that list to the list of dispositions they require you to provide to make sure you accounted for them all.

Keeping a record of who you transferred a firearm to was to be a way of helping law enforcement in an investigation, and to ensure you did the transfer properly.

Now under a FOID expiration, it becomes the expiree performing registration of firearms that now belong to others. hmmm.

I initially thought this was a northern Illinois story but then realized this was rural and 40 minutes from my in laws, who live in the sticks.

Wow.

The ISP can't get their half arsed department together well enough to properly process applications and renewals but they can make dam sure they process door knocks on expired foids and confiscation patrols. ok then.

Having an expired FOID is no reason to show up and confiscate anyone's guns.

Nobody needs a FOID to be in possession of firearms since that would be 100% unconstitutional.

Now if the state wants to require a FOID to purchase, that might be one thing, although I'd also argue that it's still unconstitutional.

VOID the FOID.

Not to mention that FOID fees (you know, the ones you have to pay to exercise a right and to keep your card from expiring) are swept into the General Fund.......

Seriously. The fact you have to pay to maintain a right, otherwise once your card expires, you dont renew, and you purchased firearms before (thus you get sent a ISP firearms disposition form to fill out), this is all nothing more than a long game extortion scheme to fund non--related state programs and harass gun owners who dont renew when theyre told. Unless a crime has been committed to lose the FOID, this is all unconstitutional and needs to be challenged ASAP

Does the process of coming to someones home and taking their possessions, be they firearms, cutlery, precious metals,etc without a warrant issued by an actual judge violate the 4th and 14th amendment?

Who is to say those were not sold or transferred to someone else? I thought at the federal level they are not allowed to have lists like that?

I wrote this letter to warn people of what I felt were non-valid reasons of FOID revocations. As I state in the letter the Sheriffs

Office has nothing to do with the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau. I do not agree with many of

these revocations and suspensions. When we collect the Non Valid FOID it is sent to the Illinois State

Police Firearms Bureau along with the Firearm Disposition which list the firearms and who the firearms

were transferred to. These items must be received by the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau before

they will consider reinstating the FOID. We will assist people in filling out these forms if they want help

and we will mail them off for the individual.

Just following orders, but I dont like it.....

I get it, but submitting a list of firearms that the revoked/expired FOID holder has is backdoor registration.

I dont blame the sheriff. This is a problem created by the ILGA and the ISP. Props to challenging some of the reasons for revocation (doesnt seem like it changes anything though). Big test will be what these pro-2A sheriff do if the BS onslaught of legislation is passed and the ISP states they have to enforce it.

The problem with this is that without a significant expenditure of effort, they only know if a background check was requested. I've bought firearms and then changed my mind and never received anything - but the background check was completed. They'd supposedly know that, if they followed up, but it would take a lot of effort to chase down every 4473 that I've ever filled out. And there are decades-old private sales where a FOID check was never done. And I've suffered a number of insurable losses, and I may not have all of the "keep for 10 years" paperwork showing who received said firearm (but it's gone). And then there are the boating accidents.

The problem with this is that without a significant expenditure of effort, they only know if a background check was requested. I've bought firearms and then changed my mind and never received anything - but the background check was completed. They'd supposedly know that, if they followed up, but it would take a lot of effort to chase down every 4473 that I've ever filled out. And there are decades-old private sales where a FOID check was never done. And I've suffered a number of insurable losses, and I may not have all of the "keep for 10 years" paperwork showing who received said firearm (but it's gone). And then there are the boating accidents.

I have a hard time believing the ISP contacts every FFL in Illinois requesting a search for an individual that has had their FOID or FCCL revoked.

Who is to say those were not sold or transferred to someone else? I thought at the federal level they are not allowed to have lists like that?

When you sell or otherwise transfer your firearms to anyone else, you're supposed to keep records of it for 10 years. If you don't, they'll charge you with that.

Archived