Lemont (House District 82) Right to Carry Town Hall Meeting - Fri. Apr. 27

Molly B.

Don't know yet, but if he does I will be reminding everyone how important it is that we welcome him to hear

our side of the issue.

To attack or be rude to him will not work in our favor. I hope he will come and we can show him the people in

his new district support this issue!

No worry. I have been practicing holding my tongue. If he doesn't see the light and come to our side though we need to find an independent to challenge him in the general election!!!

And that's the way to take care of it. It's entirely possible that any of the reps that voted no on 148 a year ago are now having second thoughts. Lots of changes in the landscape and public perception of carry, not to mention that we are the very last state without. And WI just issued their 100,000th license, less than six months after going live with them!! Most people don't like to be pressured. Mr. Durkin may well be one of those people that simply dig in their heels the harder they are pushed. I'm thinking that treating him with respect and dignity while quietly explaining our position would be the way to go. "More flies with honey" approach.

If that doesn't work, then we'll talk about the election this fall if there's still time to get someone on the ballot.

AB

Don't know yet, but if he does I will be reminding everyone how important it is that we welcome him to hear

our side of the issue.

To attack or be rude to him will not work in our favor. I hope he will come and we can show him the people in

his new district support this issue!

No worry. I have been practicing holding my tongue. If he doesn't see the light and come to our side though we need to find an independent to challenge him in the general election!!!

And that's the way to take care of it. It's entirely possible that any of the reps that voted no on 148 a year ago are now having second thoughts. Lots of changes in the landscape and public perception of carry, not to mention that we are the very last state without. And WI just issued their 100,000th license, less than six months after going live with them!! Most people don't like to be pressured. Mr. Durkin may well be one of those people that simply dig in their heels the harder they are pushed. I'm thinking that treating him with respect and dignity while quietly explaining our position would be the way to go. "More flies with honey" approach.

If that doesn't work, then we'll talk about the election this fall if there's still time to get someone on the ballot.

AB

I think that's the best approach to take. I get the distinct impression that he feels he knows what's best for his constituents. We have to be firm but polite as I wouldn't put it past him to vote "no" out of spite or stubbornness if we don't play our cards right.

On the positive side, I do think we are closer to getting a yes vote from him than we have ever been. First, his district now contains more of Will County than it had previously. Second, there are increased concerns about crime and violence in the area, particularly following the murder of Kelli O'Loughlin in Indian Head Park (in his district). When talking to Representative Durkin shortly after the O'Loughlin tragedy, I mentioned that my wife has to come home to an empty house fairly often. She deserves the ability to be able to choose how to protect herself. This argument seemed to gain the most traction with him, and he was clearly sympathetic to the concerns of women. I think our best strategy, if he is present, is to encourage the women in our lives to attend and participate in this discussion. It's a lot easier to, in effect, tell a 6'2" 250lb man that he doesn't need a gun to protect himself than it is to do the same to a woman, especially in front of a crowd.

I'm looking forward to this meeting. As for fliers, I've only been able to post at Bass Pro in Bolingbrook near the exit (management won't allow any other areas, I wanted the gun counter!!!), The Indian Prairie Library, Jewel on 75th and Cass. If anyone has ideas, please let me know. It seems several places (Caribou Coffee, Dominicks) have removed their bulletin boards and no longer have areas for public posting. Still have to check Starbucks, my gym, etc.

Rep. Durkin called today to say he is working closely with Todd on this issue and though he has a long-standing prior commitment and cannot attend, he is sending someone to represent him, to listen to our panelists and speak with us. I agree with Ilannoyed that it will be very important to have as many women there as we possibly can so that Rep. Durkin's representative can report back to him that this is very important to the women in his district.

I am a definate will be there to help. If anyone is interested I will be having an early supper at Bass Pro. They have a great walleye plate and catfish too. I should be there around 4:30. I will be wearing a black baseball cap with CarrySafely.com on it in red letters.

Boog

I am a definate will be there to help. If anyone is interested I will be having an early supper at Bass Pro. They have a great walleye plate and catfish too. I should be there around 4:30. I will be wearing a black baseball cap with CarrySafely.com on it in red letters.

Boog

Last night Molly B said to be there at 5:30 so enjoy your meal or go over to the quarries and catch some nice bass.

I will be there with my IGOLD hoodie and black staff hat.

Come on in and say HI

I may be outside directing traffic again tonight. It helped last night.

Unfortunately I got there about and hour and 15 minutes late - caught the last 45 minutes. Did I miss any thing spectacular???

Also, had a conversation with a visitor to the meeting. She stated she believed that our lovely Rep. Jim Durkin either was a supporter, or was supported by the Brady campaign??? Not wanting to start any rumors here. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Can anyone confirm???

Rep. Durkin called today to say he is working closely with Todd on this issue and though he has a long-standing prior commitment and cannot attend, he is sending someone to represent him, to listen to our panelists and speak with us. I agree with Ilannoyed that it will be very important to have as many women there as we possibly can so that Rep. Durkin's representative can report back to him that this is very important to the women in his district.

I'm curious if Durkin really did send anyone??

Archived