Update 9/16 talks with state police

Tvandermyde

Update on my contact with Sen. LaHood.

I just got this email:

Dear Mr. Pratt,

I have contacted Legislative Affairs at the Illinois State Police concerning your inquiries about concealed carry. They confirmed the curriculum is still being worked on. They are also processing applications and completing background checks as quickly as possible for instructors.

We are hopeful the ISP will get instructor applications processed and curriculum approved to make concealed carry license applications available to the public by the deadline of January 5, 2014.

I wish I had more definitive news for you. If I hear any updates, I will pass the information onto you.

Sincerely,

Legislative Assistant to

Senator Darin M. LaHood

M103F State Capitol

Springfield IL 62706

And my reply:

Thank you for your reply, ***********.

Unfortunately, the "we are working on it as fast as we can" excuse is getting worn out. The ISP was mandated by Section 75 of the FCCA to have begun the process of approving firearms courses AND listing approved courses on their website within 60 days of enactment. We are 10 days past the deadline and there is not one approved class listed.

On the issue of instructors, in 19 days, the ISP has managed to approve only 23 instructors using an automated background check system. Couple that with the fact that no new approvals have been listed in almost a week and I am at the point where I demand more answers.

Too many hardworking Illinoisans have been working to restore the Second Amendment in this state for far too long to let the process get delayed and derailed by a non-elected government agency.

I apologize if my words seem harsh. My frustration is not directed toward you or Senator LaHood. I am just failing to see how the ISP can fail to meet mandated deadlines and their response "we are working as fast as we can" is acceptable. Where is the accountability?

Bammm.

Love it.

How odd. The Senate GOP leader from Lemont responded to a Carbondale guy with a personal note, and LaHood has his assistant doing his constituent service communications?

His dad had a better personal touch.

Then again, maybe Mr. LaHood the Younger is on the road or something. I dunno.

Darin called me on the phone yesterday less than 45 minutes after I emailed him. And, for the record, I work in his district, but I live in Koehler's District.

I live in LaHood's district. I am also cozy with my Rep and his aide as well. His aide used to be some sort of liason to the FOID division so he knows all the crap that goes on there.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

ok sorry. I just get frustrated

1. rule says need to have FCCL by 4/16/14

that line was meant to imply or question what if not issued due to ISP delays by 4/16 what about instructors approved after 4/16, do they need one to teach ahead of getting their approval. its gets confusing when trying to aplly the rule and see how it works.

And that was my response - if they require instructors to have a CCL then what about delays in getting the license caused by the ISP? If it is applied for and not issued by the date, they need to address that now. If they are going to require this, it should say "has applied for by 4/16/14".

It's on purpose Valinda. They did, are doing and will continue to do everything they can to make it as confusing as possible to either discourage people from wanting to become instructors or to make it as confusing and challenging as possible in the hopes of getting one of us pinched down the road.

Get this, they have that rule about having to get a license if you're an instructor and then on the application for instructors one of the questions is "Upon availability of the application, will you be applying for a Concealed Carry License?" Well of course, I'm not going to teach this and not get a license so I can carry myself and besides you mandated that I have to you dumb a**

That is just proof that there is "team" making this up as they go... Wish they would just call Indiana for a little guidance!

If I may suggest, actions speak louder than words. However, words can really screw you up, as you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Until / unless we move forward with some coordinated, strategic action, we should be more careful about the words we use. Slandering the ISP, which includes some well-intentioned, honest and hardworking individuals, will do us no good at all, except make them potentially more adversarial. Let's listen to Molly and give the benefit of the doubt to those at the ISP who are working hard, and keep it more civil. It's in our own best interests. Those elements who are willing to ignore court orders are NOT impressed or threatened by our harsh words, but it will discourage those who are giving it a good faith effort.

I have the greatest respect for Mike's opinon, as he has kindly PM'd me on Facebook with informed, intelligent answers to my questions.

I'd add that I bear no grudge against ISP. There are four very fine instructors in my locale who are retired ISP; excellent individuals.

IF I do write a column for publication, it will be measured and factual -- not hateful or slanderous. I haven't survived 30 years in this shrinking business by being a hateful moron. I'm more of a standard-issue moron.

Re my earlier post re Sen. LaHood, I apparently spoke too quickly, and I meant no disrespect. I do not know the fellow. I have the greatest respect for his father, who was a Congressman from Peoria when and I lived and worked there. Ray is a very straight-forward and personable fellow. I'm sure his son is much the same.

ok sorry. I just get frustrated

1. rule says need to have FCCL by 4/16/14

that line was meant to imply or question what if not issued due to ISP delays by 4/16 what about instructors approved after 4/16, do they need one to teach ahead of getting their approval. its gets confusing when trying to aplly the rule and see how it works.

And that was my response - if they require instructors to have a CCL then what about delays in getting the license caused by the ISP? If it is applied for and not issued by the date, they need to address that now. If they are going to require this, it should say "has applied for by 4/16/14".

It's on purpose Valinda. They did, are doing and will continue to do everything they can to make it as confusing as possible to either discourage people from wanting to become instructors or to make it as confusing and challenging as possible in the hopes of getting one of us pinched down the road.

Get this, they have that rule about having to get a license if you're an instructor and then on the application for instructors one of the questions is "Upon availability of the application, will you be applying for a Concealed Carry License?" Well of course, I'm not going to teach this and not get a license so I can carry myself and besides you mandated that I have to you dumb a**

You've made an assertion of fact. Now back that up with proof.

Maybe Pat Verschoore would issue another press release once he knows about how the ISP is performing. From all accounts he's a pro 2A Dem.

http://www.aledotime.../NEWS/130919858

Verschoore (my representative) shares a desk with Brandon Phelps on the State House floor. He's very pro-2A. His predecessor, Joel Brunsvold, regularly sponsored RTC bills before taking over IL-DNR.

I've met him at IGOLD a few times, and he's always been supportive.

-- Frank

It's a good thing the IDFPR didn't get the job of issuing permits.

http://chicago.cbslo...ense-from-state

CHICAGO (CBS) — The only thing standing between a Wisconsin woman and a new nursing job is the State of Illinois.

Deborah Lehr can’t go to work because the state hasn’t approved her nursing license.

CBS 2’s Derrick Blakley reports, this is the week Lehr was supposed to start her dream job as a surgical nurse at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion.

However, a backlog in processing paperwork in Springfield has kept Lehr on the outside looking in.

And there is really nothing Lehr can do.

The state “told me basically, I had to wait my turn and that was it,” she said.

Waiting is all she’s done.

Lehr’s already a registered nurse in Wisconsin, where she lives, just across the state line.

She applied at the end of July for an Illinois license.

“I was told it would take about four to six weeks to do this,” Lehr said.

When she get an offer letter from Cancer Centers of America, Lehr gave five weeks’ notice and quit her Wisconsin nursing job.

If she had known it would take this long, she would have held off on resigning from her old job.

A spokesman for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation blamed high staff turnover and a wave of retirements.

He said permanent nursing licenses were taking three to five weeks to process.

But not for Lehr.

It doesn’t work this way in Wisconsin, Lehr said.

“I had my license in Wisconsin after I passed my board in 48 hours,” she said.

Worst of all, Lehr has no idea how soon the state can catch up.

She says the state had plenty of workers to cash the check for her license application.

It cleared the bank in two days.

Now, she just wants what she paid for.

CHICAGO (CBS) — The only thing standing between a Wisconsin woman and a new nursing job is the State of Illinois.

Deborah Lehr can’t go to work because the state hasn’t approved her nursing license.

CBS 2’s Derrick Blakley reports, this is the week Lehr was supposed to start her dream job as a surgical nurse at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion.

However, a backlog in processing paperwork in Springfield has kept Lehr on the outside looking in.

Lehr’s already a registered nurse in Wisconsin, where she lives, just across the state line.

When she get an offer letter from Cancer Centers of America, Lehr gave five weeks’ notice and quit her Wisconsin nursing job.

If she had known it would take this long, she would have held off on resigning from her old job.

A spokesman for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation blamed high staff turnover and a wave of retirements.

But not for Lehr.

She says the state had plenty of workers to cash the check for her license application.

Maybe she would get faster service if her bank went after the IDFPR for check fraud since she paid for a service she has not received which is the very definition of fraud and since it involved a check that constitutes check fraud. I wonder if anyone has considered having their bank go after the ISP FOID office for check fraud for failing to provide a FOID card or reponse within the 30 days mandated by the FOID act.

Maybe she would get faster service if her bank went after the IDFPR for check fraud since she paid for a service she has not received which is the very definition of fraud and since it involved a check that constitutes check fraud. I wonder if anyone has considered having their bank go after the ISP FOID office for check fraud for failing to provide a FOID card or reponse within the 30 days mandated by the FOID act.

Even better that she lives in Wisconsin- this goes across state lines.

Even better that she lives in Wisconsin- this goes across state lines.

Not only that, but I bet she mailed the check which would add mail fraud (a serious federal crime) to the list.

We are having the same problem with EMT-paramedic License renews. People on the Chicago fire dept have been told we well not be paid. It's taking them weeks to renew.

How can an EMT-paramedic practice without a license I suspect that they can't. I wonder if those EMTs are looking around for other jobs and upon receiving the license will they want to leave the job they just landed, maybe or maybe not. If I were an EMT I would leave the state to find and EMT job or find another job that I like better.

But not for Lehr.

I wonder if the IDFPR is at least partially responsible for any shortages in the medical field.

But not for Lehr.

I wonder if the cancer treatment center in Zion has any standing to sue due to being understaffed thanks to the IDFPRs failure to provide her with the license. Even better would the patients and/or their families have standing to sue due to the understaffing resulting from the IDFPRs failure to provide the nursing license.

Do you know and understand the problem of an antiquated system being used to integrate, network, and recognize modern day systems? Unless and until we have that capability, I believe we will have these glitches. Other than letting our legislators know how unacceptable this is, there is absolutely no earthly good to come of kvetching about it here on the forum - other than sharing our misery together. In this instant everything society some things - like government - still move at a snail's pace. It will get fixed, down the road, hopefully soon, but it will get fixed.

Just a suggestion: Why not have them migrate a copy of the antiquated system onto a new one with updated capability and test functionality parallel to the old one until the new one can have acceptance testing done on it?? Being that, it's a legacy system, I'm sure they know all its functional capabilities.......which can be passed along to the new engineers.

because the flux capacitor is on the fritz

Sign seen in Springfield, IL today:

60615_512278465514038_1860017797_n.jpg

Archived