Emergency Call to Action 4/17/2018 - Oppose Bump Stock Class X Felony

mauserme

I am not an expert by any means, but I don't believe that the amended bill sent to the house for concurrence could be further amended and returned to the senate for a second time....

I think the House can only accept or reject as received. If they reject and send it back to the Senate, I think the Senate maybe only has option to revert back to original non amended. But you are right, it is confusing and just about the time you think it makes sense, they pull another trick out of the hat.

Don't forget something in all this hullabaloo : that the despicable author of this bill and it's draconian penalty; State Senator Kwame Raoul, wants to the the Attorney General for the State of Illinois.

Excellent reminder !!!! Commie Raoul is making it clear he will actively attack law abiding citizens while doing nothing about actual bad guys. one of the reasons everything is so corrupt is that we have had nothing but a puppet for AG for far too long. IMO Getting Erika Harold in is almost important as keeping JB the Blob out.

Here's my take on the bill line up.

If the House concurs with the Senate Amendment on HB1467, then the anti-gun folks joined by Ed Sullivan (who wants a ban on bump stocks) are happy.

If the House non-concurs with the Senate amendment and the Senate recedes from its amendment on HB1467, then the anti-gun folks joined by Ed Sullivan (who wants a ban on bump stocks) are happy.

If the House non-concurs with the Senate amendment and the Senate doesn't recede from its amendment on HB1467, the Senate has a new bill (SB2343) banning bump stocks as back up. The anti-gun folks joined by Ed Sullivan (who wants a ban on bump stocks) are happy.

..."the Senate has a new bill (SB2343) banning bump stocks as back up"...

And yet there were two other Senate bump stock bills already filed just waiting on committee, Nybos being one of them (and multiple House bills too). The ILGA need to constantly submit duplicate bills confuses me and seems to be ineffecient and a waste.

I guess getting his name on it given his run for office and a D filed bill instead of a R one makes it better.

How does the recede stuff work? This is new to me as I thought House non concurrence would kill bill but it sounds like the Senate can remove their amendment still. I assume that requires an altering "unamendment" and vote? Then back to House again?

Ok guys calm down.

I've been telling you since October that we were not goign to get out of this with out loosing some skin. There is no appatite from the overwhelming majority of legislators to defend bumpstocks after las vegas.

As with most things, trying to close off the bump stock issue the otherside over-reached. that over reach gave us the opportunity to beat down the orginal bill in Veto session. We did the whip count and there was no stopping the bill so we needed to minimize its impact.

No one in the nation was ready to define or deal with the issue so we were flying by the seat of our pants. The got cute witht he house bill in the senate due to Sentaor Raul getting beat up over the semi-auto issue in his race for AG.

That will mostlikely kill the house bill or force them to non-concur.

Is the new langauge better? I think so. But Drury is out there making all kinds of wild claims about the other language.

If all we do is say no to everything. Then its over. In 27 years I've never seen it this bad at the legislature, and the senate dems are just salavating over picking up as many as 5 seats in the suburbs and replacing good pro-2A types with devout anti-gunners. Do the math on that vote count.

We are already seeing some defections from dems on gun votes and even some republicans, again do the math.

Right now it is a game of defense and figuring out the right hills to plant the flag and draw a line.

This "forum" won't let me call people out by name, but Ed Sullivan is an asset to the game we have down here. I have know and workd with him for a number of years. and for people to call him anti-gun or lump him in the same catagory as anti-gunners is wrong.

None of this is easy. And none of it is fun. And trying to keep all that we can is a full time job. and right now at any given moment a significant number of members of the general assembly are willing to use the constitution and the 2a as toilet paper.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. being a leader isn't telling tyou its all sunshine and rainbows and unicorn farts. its telling you want you don't want to here and being upfront about it.

being an arm chair quaterback from behind a key board is not being a leader. Not everyone has the time or ability to put 6 months a year in down here, I get that. Those that us that do, are making hard decisions that we have to live with and again, saying no or opposing everything is not an option as this is not Texas or some other pro-2A state.

For God's sake Vermont just passed a mag ban and Florida passed a whole host of stuff. And we are here in Illinois and you expect us to do better by just saying NO?

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, April 21, 2018 at 05:07 PM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, April 21, 2018 at 05:07 PM - No reason given

Put a sock in it Mauser. NRA even came out for "regulation" of bump stocks. You are not the arbitor of who is or is not a pro-gun group.

Stuff like this is why I quit posting here and why IC is often seen as just a fringe group ont he web by many others

Ok guys calm down.

I've been telling you since October that we were not goign to get out of this with out loosing some skin. There is no appatite from the overwhelming majority of legislators to defend bumpstocks after las vegas.

As with most things, trying to close off the bump stock issue the otherside over-reached. that over reach gave us the opportunity to beat down the orginal bill in Veto session. We did the whip count and there was no stopping the bill so we needed to minimize its impact.

No one in the nation was ready to define or deal with the issue so we were flying by the seat of our pants. The got cute witht he house bill in the senate due to Sentaor Raul getting beat up over the semi-auto issue in his race for AG.

That will mostlikely kill the house bill or force them to non-concur.

Is the new langauge better? I think so. But Drury is out there making all kinds of wild claims about the other language.

If all we do is say no to everything. Then its over. In 27 years I've never seen it this bad at the legislature, and the senate dems are just salavating over picking up as many as 5 seats in the suburbs and replacing good pro-2A types with devout anti-gunners. Do the math on that vote count.

We are already seeing some defections from dems on gun votes and even some republicans, again do the math.

Right now it is a game of defense and figuring out the right hills to plant the flag and draw a line.

This "forum" won't let me call people out by name, but Ed Sullivan is an asset to the game we have down here. I have know and workd with him for a number of years. and for people to call him anti-gun or lump him in the same catagory as anti-gunners is wrong.

None of this is easy. And none of it is fun. And trying to keep all that we can is a full time job. and right now at any given moment a significant number of members of the general assembly are willing to use the constitution and the 2a as toilet paper.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. being a leader isn't telling tyou its all sunshine and rainbows and unicorn farts. its telling you want you don't want to here and being upfront about it.

being an arm chair quaterback from behind a key board is not being a leader. Not everyone has the time or ability to put 6 months a year in down here, I get that. Those that us that do, are making hard decisions that we have to live with and again, saying no or opposing everything is not an option as this is not Texas or some other pro-2A state.

For God's sake Vermont just passed a mag ban and Florida passed a whole host of stuff. And we are here in Illinois and you expect us to do better by just saying NO?

For Gods Sake Todd

Narrow that down a bit for Us Please

Todd, Thank you very much for the hard work you do. It's very much appreciated. We understand that there are limits to what can be accomplished.

The dissatisfaction we have with ISRA supporting the bumpstock bill yesterday is not because it's bumpstocks, it's because of the penalty attached. Supporting a Class X felony for an inert piece of plastic is simply not in line with what the members of his organization can support. It's classic overreach, which I'm sure you're well aware of. It's one thing to be pragmatic, it's another to roll over and play dead.

Beyond that, we've had more than 100 years of things ratcheting one direction with no compromise.. only capitulation. Many of us have simply had enough. Politics be damned. I understand that may not make your job easier.. or be possible, but some fights have to be fought -- regardless of the odds.

they would not let Ed talk at the committee hearing and ran right over the top of himj. his slip was no postion, but with oral testimony about the penalties. they finallay called him up after the bill was voted on.

We have all raised that issue and even talked about he CLEAR commission and how a peice of plastic get you 6-30.

We are not inthe drivers seat with this and are not being consulted about things despite knowing more about ti than anyone eles. Some staffers think its easy without understanding all the nauances The issue has been raised and is trying to be addressed.

There is the ISRA publically supporting the bill via witness slip vs the change to no position or not filing at all.

If there was no agreement and we were getting nothing out of it (which I might expect given existing political climate) not sure I understand why the initial public support. I get looking at the longer term view but a bit confused on this one.

edit: Todd posted while I was writing

they would not let Ed talk at the committee hearing and ran right over the top of himj. his slip was no postion, but with oral testimony about the penalties. they finallay called him up after the bill was voted on.

We have all raised that issue and even talked about he CLEAR commission and how a peice of plastic get you 6-30.

We are not inthe drivers seat with this and are not being consulted about things despite knowing more about ti than anyone eles. Some staffers think its easy without understanding all the nauances The issue has been raised and is trying to be addressed.

Feelings vs. facts, how all leftist politicians operate

Funny how a Bumpstock will get you more time than a legit illegal machine gun.....

His slip was originally proponent then changed to no position with oral testimony - this on a bill calling for extreme penalties. Surely you can understand the concern members would have when the state association takes a 'no position' on a bill like this. It might be easier for everyone to understand an opponent witness slip with oral testimony arguing against the the penalties.

All personalities aside, a bump stock ban may be inevitable. Is it a hill we want to die on, probably not, but we should at least come out in opposition to it like we would any other ban that only affects law abiding citizens.

There was no mistake in what position they took, they as much were caught siding with the antis. I don't need to be hit over the head twice, and frankly I am tired of being fed a line from any fake second amendment supporters. It is why the isra will never see a dime from me, same as Rock River Arms and Springfield Arms.

We are all in the same boat, sucks that we all aren't rowing in the same direction.

Archived