Today's daily email to my Illinois elected officials

cybermgk

I am currently sending a daily email to my rep, senator and the Governor with some pro 2A info. Trying to be like the MSM or a musical earwig. Hopefully, if they keep hearing/reading it, it will sink in.

Todays topic was preemption:

Picture the following story in your mind.

A father and his son, the boy scout, are on their way to their usual shooting range. The son is currently working on his firearm safety and marksmanship badges. Safely stored in the trunk of their car is the Semi-Automatic target rifle, unloaded, cased. They have the rifle’s 10 round magazines in their range bag, not even loaded with 22 long rifle rounds thrown in the back seat. Unfortunately the father wasn’t paying his full attention, as he and his son talked excitedly about their day, and didn’t stop for a full 6 seconds at a stop sign. Unfortunately, a nearby Law Enforcement Officer was parked. Even, more unfortunate, they had just inadvertently passed within the city boundaries of Village X. Village X took advantage of the removal of State preemption on laws controlling ‘Assault Weapons’. As such they passed a draconian ordinance banning any rifle that uses a removeable magazine and called them ‘assault rifles’.

The LEO seeing the range bag, felt they had probable cause, searched the vehicle. They found the simple, semi-automatic target rifle in the trunk. Instead of a fun Father son day at the range, learning valuable safety and marksmanship skills, the father was made a criminal for owning something legally. What is even worse, Village X also banned all guns for people under 21. Since they ‘had no way of knowing’ if the under 21 year old son had ‘possession’ of the rifle, and had ‘access’, he was charged as well.

This story exemplifies just one of the myriad of reasons why control of firearms MUST remain State Controlled. Ask yourself one question about the Senate Amendment to HB1467, that removes preemption, or SB2314, that does the same thing ONLY allow for tougher laws at the Municipal level, that state laws? After all, if it is all about letting Municipalities have home rule and control firearms as they see fit, why not allow them to have freer gun laws?

These bills are all about one thing, grabbing guns, plain and simple. Local Municipalities’ councils are much easier to coerce and mislead into banning guns, by the large, powerful anti-gun organizations with big money.

Ah, sent a 2nd one as well:

I once again plead for you to not make myself and my son, felons, while not making the state any safer. I speak to HB1465 that ostensibly outlaws 'assault weapons' for those under 21. However, it is so poorly written, so over reaching in language that it does so much more.

First, Modern Sporting Rifles like the AR15s are NOT Assault Rifles. They are Semi-automatic rifles, no different than others, just with certain cosmetic and additional safety items. Even those kind of Modern Sporting Rifles like the AR15 were only used in 6 of the last 86 public mass murders. THEY are not a, or the problem. The people that choose to ignore the laws and kill people are. Nice France used a truck to kill more and injure more than ANY US Mass shooting, including those with 'Assault Rifles'.

But, this bill outlaws every semi-automatic rifle that accepts magazines because it doesn't even clarify and separate a rifle stock from shroud, and defines shroud such that it includes all rifle stocks.

It also doesn't exempt me supervising my son with my own rifle at the range. An affirmative Defense is USELESS. It still allows for arrest, invalidating one's FOID, and can only be used in Trial.

In our over zealousness to 'make our schools safe', why do we not look at the real cause, and keep banning tools? And why make such a BAD bill as this.

Vote no on concurrence in the house. Veto this bill.

TOdays email:

We all want to stop gun violence. But there are some that want to use gun violence to achieve their ulterior goal to disarm citizens. They will warp and twist facts and outright lie to achieve this goal. They will scream and tantrum 'demanding action'. The goal is a disarmed public. The method is step by step erosion of our rights.

This is logically self-evident, as none of the bills currently on the books in Cook County or Chicago, or proposed at the state level will do anything to reduce our gun homicide numbers. They won't reduce Mass Shootings either (only 6 of last 86 public mass shootings even used an 'Assault Weapon'). This has been statistically proven and easily demonstrable everywhere it is tried. Gun Control, is ultimately Un-Constitutional, but more importantly, it just doesn't work.

They don't work, because they fail to grasp basic truths. Criminals do not follow laws. Those intent on killing will find a way. And, the root cause of our Gun Deaths are not considered in the least. 70% of Gun deaths are suicides. But, our Suicide rates per 100k are low compared to the rest of the world, particularly countries with no gun ownership. Suicides are NOT a gun problem. They are a complex mental health and societal problem.

Over 80% of gun HOMICIDES, the other 30% of total gun deaths, are gang and drug crime related. 98% of those guns were obtained illegally. Almost all were done with handguns. These deaths are NOT a gun problem. They are a sentencing, incarceration, early release of violent felons and parole problem. A LARGE Majority of these homicides are performed by suspects with multiple felonies. Most of the time that rate is over 95% prior felons. These gun deaths are a SENTANCING, RELEASE AND INCARCERATION problem.

The remaining homicides are Police caused deaths, Legal DEFENSIVE use of Firearms and a tiny percent of accidental deaths. Hardly a gun 'problem'.

The Parkland shooting was directly caused because lenient policies that kept the shooter from being arrested and prosecuted, but instead disciplined with school discipline. THIS allowed him to buy a gun. The gun laws we have work, specially at the Illinois State level. That is, they work when not willfully bypassed like Parkland.

Continuing to implement laws that keep reducing types of guns from law abiding citizens, wait periods increases and ridicules sentencing for formerly law abiding citizens ABOVE those for actual violent criminals are not going to do anything beneficial. They don't address the real causes. They are virtue signaling and false safe feeling actions. But, that is NOT your job as an elected official. YOUR job is to address the real issues and not erode our Constitutional rights.

Ah, sent a 2nd one as well:

I once again plead for you to not make myself and my son, felons, while not making the state any safer. I speak to HB1465 that ostensibly outlaws 'assault weapons' for those under 21. However, it is so poorly written, so over reaching in language that it does so much more.

First, Modern Sporting Rifles like the AR15s are NOT Assault Rifles. They are Semi-automatic rifles, no different than others, just with certain cosmetic and additional safety items. Even those kind of Modern Sporting Rifles like the AR15 were only used in 6 of the last 86 public mass murders. THEY are not a, or the problem. The people that choose to ignore the laws and kill people are. Nice France used a truck to kill more and injure more than ANY US Mass shooting, including those with 'Assault Rifles'.

But, this bill outlaws every semi-automatic rifle that accepts magazines because it doesn't even clarify and separate a rifle stock from shroud, and defines shroud such that it includes all rifle stocks.

It also doesn't exempt me supervising my son with my own rifle at the range. An affirmative Defense is USELESS. It still allows for arrest, invalidating one's FOID, and can only be used in Trial.

In our over zealousness to 'make our schools safe', why do we not look at the real cause, and keep banning tools? And why make such a BAD bill as this.

Vote no on concurrence in the house. Veto this bill.

You might Educate the Idjuts that AR does not mean Assault Rifle but rather Aramalite Rife as I did to my State Representative Latoya Greenwood

Archived