JB Pritzker Stance on Firearms

Molly B.

And here is some additional information about Jabba from his attempt to get in the Congress.

When he ran for Congress in 1997, Pritzker called for a 100 percent tax on handguns and handgun ammunition, which he estimated would raise $1 billion a year. (Scott Fornek, “Pritzker, In First Political Run, Vows He Can 'Get The Job Done',” Chicago Sun-Times, 9/7/97)

In the same campaign, he even favored banning the sale of handguns entirely. (Susan Dodge, “Candidates Hit Trail To Congress,” Chicago Sun-Times, 2/22/98)

He supported the gun dealer licensing bill vetoed by Governor Rauner earlier this year. (Sara Burnett, "How Illinois governor candidates would address gun violence," Associated Press, 1/14/18)

Any questions?

Anyone catch the clip on the evening news tonight about the Cook county judge carrying a concealed weapon in his pocket and he drops it. The video shows him pick up the weapon and put it in his pants pocket and walk on. I know judges can carry in court houses as officers of the court. But what about other restricted places that CC is not allowed. Or does being a judge override the CCW rules?

Illinois is easy. We have gun OWNER registration. They take that info, then enter it into the transfers database to see what'cha got. Then, they send you a notice to turn it in or turn over the sale information you're supposed to hold for 10 years. Not rocket science here.

No problem.

"I had a change of heart following the school shooting in Florida and now agree no one should own assault weapons. So I turned them in for Walmart gift cards at one of those no questions asked gun buy backs."

Illinois is easy. We have gun OWNER registration. They take that info, then enter it into the transfers database to see what'cha got. Then, they send you a notice to turn it in or turn over the sale information you're supposed to hold for 10 years. Not rocket science here.

No problem.

"I had a change of heart following the school shooting in Florida and now agree no one should own assault weapons. So I turned them in for Walmart gift cards at one of those no questions asked gun buy backs."

I read this kind of response far too often. What is apparent to me is that most, if not all, of the people that think this way is that they have never been the target of any serious criminal investigation and they have never been a part of serious law enforcement. When a federal agent or serious state or local officer comes after anyone for anything they are always looking for other crimes they can surface. Given the ease of search warrants post 1911, the subject of a warrant or investigation often finds themselves in trouble over things never considered by law enforcement in their original investigation. One search warrant can, and often does, lead to another warrant specific to something they discovered by accident in the first warrant. There are also such things as exigent circumstances, especially where firearms are involved.

If someone were to shoot an armed intruder(s) legally with a five shot .44 special revolver, in the investigative process to determine the legality (self defense) of the shooting, the agent(s) or officer(s) has every right to determine what other firearms are on the premises, including those locked in a safe. If they ask, and any resident of the home lies, those people are now guilty of a crime if their statements are proven false. Moreover, if the prosecutor decides to charge, they certainly can bring up any false statements made, as well as any firearms violations. Further, if the LEOs or the prosecutor chooses, they can, in most states, seize all the firearms found until the adjudication of the shooting incident. Illegal firearms normally would bring forth additional charges.

Hiding illegally possessed firearms is a very bad idea. Working hard to help elect people that will protect our gun rights is a very good idea.

I read this kind of response far too often. What is apparent to me is that most, if not all, of the people that think this way is that they have never been the target of any serious criminal investigation and they have never been a part of serious law enforcement. When a federal agent or serious state or local officer comes after anyone for anything they are always looking for other crimes they can surface. Given the ease of search warrants post 1911, the subject of a warrant or investigation often finds themselves in trouble over things never considered by law enforcement in their original investigation. One search warrant can, and often does, lead to another warrant specific to something they discovered by accident in the first warrant. There are also such things as exigent circumstances, especially where firearms are involved.

If someone were to shoot an armed intruder(s) legally with a five shot .44 special revolver, in the investigative process to determine the legality (self defense) of the shooting, the agent(s) or officer(s) has every right to determine what other firearms are on the premises, including those locked in a safe. If they ask, and any resident of the home lies, those people are now guilty of a crime if their statements are proven false. Moreover, if the prosecutor decides to charge, they certainly can bring up any false statements made, as well as any firearms violations. Further, if the LEOs or the prosecutor chooses, they can, in most states, seize all the firearms found until the adjudication of the shooting incident. Illegal firearms normally would bring forth additional charges.

Hiding illegally possessed firearms is a very bad idea. Working hard to help elect people that will protect our gun rights is a very good idea.

I get what you are saying, but I guess it depends on the weapon (or how it was illegal).

If you do not have a FOID/CCL, and there are weapons in your home (assuming no on else has a FOID)...while the shooting may be justified, the weapons are not. Yeah...you will have problems.

If you do have a FOID/CCL, and you have other illegal weapons, then that is a different issue. They open up your safe and there is an an M-16 lower (full-auto) mounted to a 10.5" upper (SBR) with a silencer on the end....you are probably going for a ride.

Those scenarios exist today.

I guess the issue is...what would be an illegal weapon? Assault weapon? Pistol? Semi-auto? Too many unknowns.

Similar to Aurora. No one is getting arrested over AR-15 ownership even though they have been banned for over 20 years. I've been on a range in Aurora with the guys next to me shooting their AR using a 30 round mag. SWAT didn't come busting through the door.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:26 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:26 AM - No reason given

The result

Opposition to the SAFE Act has been widespread across upstate New York, where 52 of the state’s 62 counties, including Ulster, have passed resolutions opposing the law. Upstate police agencies have also demonstrated a marked lack of enthusiasm for enforcing the ban on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines. According to statistics compiled by the state Department of Criminal Justice Services, there have been just 11 arrests for failure to register an otherwise-legal assault weapon since the SAFE Act took effect in March 2013 and 62 for possession of a large capacity magazine. In Ulster County, where 463 assault weapons have been registered, there have been just three arrests for possession of large-capacity magazines and none for failure to register an assault weapon. Ulster County Sheriff Paul VanBlarcum has been a vocal critic of the law; he said he believed large numbers of Ulster County gun owners had chosen to ignore the registration requirement.

“We’re a rural county with a lot of gun enthusiasts,” said VanBlarcum. “So [463] sounds like a very low number.”

VanBlarcum said he had advised deputies to use their discretion when it came to making arrests for SAFE Act violations like unregistered assault weapons and he had no plans to undertake proactive enforcement measures.

^This...

LEO's are not going to grab guns from law abiding citizens that have done nothing wrong other than be alive when a state law changed that counters both Federal law and the 2nd.

The first shoot-out where a LEO is killed...or better yet, when someone's wife or kid is killed, will end all of it.

Sure, compliance may be low, but so what? The police wont come door to door, sure, but so what?

Once you cannot take the weapon to the range and use it, what good is it? Once you cannot sell the weapon, what good is it?

Look at what happens .... https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/crime/2018/05/03/rutgers-rwj-professor-charged-assault-rifle/576468002/

Your boyfriend / girlfriend / wife / husband / kids turn you in to the police for possessing a rifle after some spat or slight.

The police wont come door to door, criminalizing possession of the weapon will eventually catch up to those who don't comply, one way or another.

I do not put much stock in non compliance, we cannot allow these legislators to get to that point.

we cannot allow these legislators to get to that point.

Which is why we (1) must contact our Senators and Reps (even if like my Rep securely in Madigans pocket), so she doesn't think not hearing from me means I agree with her. She will be getting a copy of Kevins gun sanctuary map too (2) vote and encourage others to vote pro2A - this years lame ducks concern me. When there is not a good choice others like Nybo need to hear loud and long they are going down the wrong path. (3) spread the word among other firearms people, although you would think with 2.3M FOIDs and 300K CCLs we would not need to.

We know if JBP gets in the next 4 years will be a nightmare.

edit: ugh...forum is running poorly for me posting and editing!

Which is why we (1) must contact our Senators and Reps (even if like my Rep securely in Madigans pocket), so she doesn't think not hearing from me means I agree with her. She will be getting a copy of Kevins gun sanctuary map too (2) vote and encourage others to vote pro2A - this years lame ducks concern me. When there is not a good choice others like Nybo need to hear loud and long they are going down the wrong path. (3) spread the word among other firearms people, although you would think with 2.3M FOIDs and 300K CCLs we would not need to.

We know if JBP gets in the next 4 years will be a nightmare.

edit: ugh...forum is running poorly for me posting and editing!

THAT is a big "IF" !! :devil:

Once gun dealer licensing passes under JB, then an AWB, he can simply demand all licensed dealers provide the state a list of every person who bought a now-banned gun in the last 20 years. Then the fun starts! Will your kids spill the beans to a teacher at school? Your wife or girlfriend after an argument? Is your wife on board with risking a huge fine for your banned gun?

Don't count on the Supreme Court to overturn AWBs any time soon, even if Ginsburg gets replaced. It could take 10 more years, in which time your life can be ruined. To those who refuse to vote for Rauner are you willing risk all that to stick it to Rauner for not vetoing the abortion law?

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:26 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:26 AM - No reason given

Once gun dealer licensing passes under JB, then an AWB, he can simply demand all licensed dealers provide the state a list of every person who bought a now-banned gun in the last 20 years. Then the fun starts! Will your kids spill the beans to a teacher at school? Your wife or girlfriend after an argument? Is your wife on board with risking a huge fine for your banned gun?Don't count on the Supreme Court to overturn AWBs any time soon, even if Ginsburg gets replaced. It could take 10 more years, in which time your life can be ruined. To those who refuse to vote for Rauner are you willing risk all that to stick it to Rauner for not vetoing the abortion law?

Don’t be idiots people. Not voting or voting 3rd party is a waste

You know I'm not. And I won't be bullied by being called one into voting the way someone else tells me. As I've explained, I will not sacrifice babies for gun rights. I will not. I refuse to make that bargain.

And, I will say it again...Pritzker is going to the the next governor of Illinois. This is a fact. It's a fact you gentlemen ought to just get used to.

Despite your protestations, at times it sure sounds like you want JB to win.

And, I will say it again...Pritzker is going to the the next governor of Illinois. This is a fact. It's a fact you gentlemen ought to just get used to.

Just like Hillary is our President, right?

And if you think Rauner sacrificed babies, what do you think Pritzker will do for abortion rights and funding?

You know I'm not. And I won't be bullied by being called one into voting the way someone else tells me. As I've explained, I will not sacrifice babies for gun rights. I will not. I refuse to make that bargain.

Despite your protestations, at times it sure sounds like you want JB to win.

He does, then he can claim he was right and thump his "righteous chest".

People simply don't understand how bad it can get. Illinois is actually a "moderate" gun control state, but that is on the edge.

I vote my conscience for president. I got on the anti establishment "trump" train about 20 years before trump did. I refused to play the lesser of two evil's game. Constitution Party, Libertarian every now and then, Trump... But guess what? I had/have no real skin in the game for president. Illinois will go for the democratic candidate every time by 20 points or more. My vanity vote doesn't count.

That is not the case for governor, We can elect a "Romney" level candidate in this state from time to time, and in this case we have a governor that supports the 2nd about as well as we can practically expect. Again though, some folk don't seem to know how bad things can be. With the current weaknesses Pritzker can easily turn us into New York or New Jersey or California. Economically, banning sports like youth football, living wage, $15 minimum job killing wage... and what about guns? Look at New Jersey as an example, whose last Republican governor actually supported the following. Rauner is a red meat gun nut compared to Christie.

• A lifetime purchaser identification card is required for purchase of rifles and shotguns, as well as for purchases of handgun ammunition. A permit to purchase a handgun, valid for 90 days is required for each handgun purchase. Only one handgun can be purchased within a 30-day period. According to state law, purchase permits/identification cards are supposed to be granted on a Shall-Issue basis, but in practice many issuing authorities require the applicant to justify the need for a firearm before granting approval for the permit/ID card. Some issuing authorities have been known to arbitrarily deny purchase permits and ID cards.
  • The NJ State Police Firearms Investigation Unit (NJSP FIU) maintains a record of all handgun transfers, except for inherited firearms willed to the transferee, or firearms brought to the state by new residents moving to the state. Firearm registration is voluntary, but since handgun purchase permits are also a form of register, there is de facto mandatory handgun registration for handguns purchased in-state. Purchases by NJ residents must either be from a licensed dealer in NJ or a private individual who is a resident of NJ. In both dealer purchases and private sales, a copy of the purchase permit is sent to the NJSP FIU. A NICS background check at the point of sale is only required for purchases from dealers.
  • Owner license required for assault firearm or NFA regulated firearms
  • Carry permits: No-Issue for ordinary citizens. New Jersey calls its permit a "permit to carry a handgun" and is a "may-issue" by law for firearm carry, either openly or concealed, but permits are rarely or never granted to the general populace. Permit applicants must "specify in detail the urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant's life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun." Then it must be approved by both the township's police chief and a NJ judge, whereas the applicant will not know who denied the $200 application to carry. As a result of this tough standard, New Jersey is effectively a "no issue" state unless one is a retired law enforcement officer or an individual with political connections. Armed security officers and armored car drivers typically get restricted permits limited to carry while on duty only. A letter of need from the security company is required.
  • Open carry is allowed only with a permit to carry a handgun and is generally not practiced except by security officers and others who carry firearms on duty. While it is technically legal to carry long guns with a valid Firearm Purchaser ID card, it is generally frowned upon by law enforcement, except when hunting. One can expect to be detained and questioned in most places if carrying in this manner.
  • There is limited state preemption for some firearm laws.
  • New Jersey prohibits the possession of certain named firearms or "substantially identical" firearms deemed to be assault firearms, including possession of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled. Firearms classed as assault firearms but acquired before May 1, 1990 and registered with the state are legal to possess. Police officers may possess assault weapons for duty purposes and may possess personal assault weapons with recommendation by their agency.
  • Magazines are limited to 10 rounds for semi-automatic pistols and rifles, and 6 rounds for semi-automatic shotguns.
  • Possession of short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, destructive devices, and suppressors are prohibited to the average citizen. Law is silent on AOWs. Possession of a machine gun requires a state license, which is granted on a may issue basis by a county superior court judge. Machine gun licenses are extremely difficult to obtain.
  • Private firearm sales require a background check conducted through a federally licensed gun dealer.
  • A judge may issue a gun violence restraining order authorizing the police to confiscate a person's firearms if the judge determines that the person poses a significant risk of personal injury to himself or others.

Read each and every one of these. We have it great in Illinois today. We have it great in Illinois with the bills Rauner has reluctantly signed. But the above is very likely the future if you sit on your rear this November. When these start to come to pass under Pritzker anyone who sat out the vote will be responsible for helping make them happen. Maybe it's worth it to you to prove some point. But don't pretend your lack of a vote doesn't have very real consequences. And New Jersey does prosecute. Bit too late to realize this when you are in court facing months in jail and thousands in legal bills because a cop found a hollow point that rolled out of a range bag. Or when Illinois becomes "No-Issue for ordinary citizens."

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:20 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:20 AM - No reason given

People simply don't understand how bad it can get. Illinois is actually a "moderate" gun control state, but that is on the edge.

I vote my conscience for president. I got on the anti establishment "trump" train about 20 years before trump did. I refused to play the lesser of two evil's game. Constitution Party, Libertarian every now and then, Trump... But guess what? I had/have no real skin in the game for president. Illinois will go for the democratic candidate every time by 20 points or more. My vanity vote doesn't count.

That is not the case for governor, We can elect a "Romney" level candidate in this state from time to time, and in this case we have a governor that supports the 2nd about as well as we can practically expect. Again though, some folk don't seem to know how bad things can be. With the current weaknesses Pritzker can easily turn us into New York or New Jersey or California. Economically, banning sports like youth football, living wage, $15 minimum job killing wage... and what about guns? Look at New Jersey as an example, whose last Republican governor actually supported the following. Rauner is a red meat gun nut compared to Christie.

• A lifetime purchaser identification card is required for purchase of rifles and shotguns, as well as for purchases of handgun ammunition. A permit to purchase a handgun, valid for 90 days is required for each handgun purchase. Only one handgun can be purchased within a 30-day period. According to state law, purchase permits/identification cards are supposed to be granted on a Shall-Issue basis, but in practice many issuing authorities require the applicant to justify the need for a firearm before granting approval for the permit/ID card. Some issuing authorities have been known to arbitrarily deny purchase permits and ID cards.
  • The NJ State Police Firearms Investigation Unit (NJSP FIU) maintains a record of all handgun transfers, except for inherited firearms willed to the transferee, or firearms brought to the state by new residents moving to the state. Firearm registration is voluntary, but since handgun purchase permits are also a form of register, there is de facto mandatory handgun registration for handguns purchased in-state. Purchases by NJ residents must either be from a licensed dealer in NJ or a private individual who is a resident of NJ. In both dealer purchases and private sales, a copy of the purchase permit is sent to the NJSP FIU. A NICS background check at the point of sale is only required for purchases from dealers.
  • Owner license required for assault firearm or NFA regulated firearms
  • Carry permits: No-Issue for ordinary citizens. New Jersey calls its permit a "permit to carry a handgun" and is a "may-issue" by law for firearm carry, either openly or concealed, but permits are rarely or never granted to the general populace. Permit applicants must "specify in detail the urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant's life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun." Then it must be approved by both the township's police chief and a NJ judge, whereas the applicant will not know who denied the $200 application to carry. As a result of this tough standard, New Jersey is effectively a "no issue" state unless one is a retired law enforcement officer or an individual with political connections. Armed security officers and armored car drivers typically get restricted permits limited to carry while on duty only. A letter of need from the security company is required.
  • Open carry is allowed only with a permit to carry a handgun and is generally not practiced except by security officers and others who carry firearms on duty. While it is technically legal to carry long guns with a valid Firearm Purchaser ID card, it is generally frowned upon by law enforcement, except when hunting. One can expect to be detained and questioned in most places if carrying in this manner.
  • There is limited state preemption for some firearm laws.
  • New Jersey prohibits the possession of certain named firearms or "substantially identical" firearms deemed to be assault firearms, including possession of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled. Firearms classed as assault firearms but acquired before May 1, 1990 and registered with the state are legal to possess. Police officers may possess assault weapons for duty purposes and may possess personal assault weapons with recommendation by their agency.
  • Magazines are limited to 10 rounds for semi-automatic pistols and rifles, and 6 rounds for semi-automatic shotguns.
  • Possession of short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, destructive devices, and suppressors are prohibited to the average citizen. Law is silent on AOWs. Possession of a machine gun requires a state license, which is granted on a may issue basis by a county superior court judge. Machine gun licenses are extremely difficult to obtain.
  • Private firearm sales require a background check conducted through a federally licensed gun dealer.
  • A judge may issue a gun violence restraining order authorizing the police to confiscate a person's firearms if the judge determines that the person poses a significant risk of personal injury to himself or others.

Read each and every one of these. We have it great in Illinois today. We have it great in Illinois with the bills Rauner has reluctantly signed. But the above is very likely the future if you sit on your rear this November. When these start to come to pass under Pritzker anyone who sat out the vote will be responsible for helping make them happen. Maybe it's worth it to you to prove some point. But don't pretend your lack of a vote doesn't have very real consequences. And New Jersey does prosecute. Bit too late to realize this when you are in court facing months in jail and thousands in legal bills because a cop found a hollow point that rolled out of a range bag. Or when Illinois becomes "No-Issue for ordinary citizens."

Let all of this sink in folks. He’s spot on

And don't forget many of these proposals and more have been filed as bills in the ILGA before but thankfully voted down or not getting out of committee or vetoed. With JBP and/or the wrong Reps and Sen elected (or not being mindful of constituent feedback), it can will turn much much worse.

ETA: I get having your convictions and strong beliefs but IMO people also need to understand, when appropriate, items like compromise, negotiation and positioning for playing the long game.

Archived