Nerd Alert! Question about (gun) cases and transporting firearms.

BillCarry

someone post the quote from Alderman Ed Burke where he was talking about a paper bag being a case.

Just make sure the ammo or ammo in a magazine are physically partitioned from the firearm to be on the safe side.

But heres the official faq on transport.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/TransportYourFirearmLegally.pdf

Bizarrely IL transport law is more lenient than federal law. If you're transporting across state lines, federal law applies. There are lots of places interpreting FOPA in "layman's terms," but one you might trust is NRA-ILA.

If you travel with a trailer or camper that is hauled by an automobile, it is advisable to transport the firearms unloaded, cased and locked in the trunk of the car.

If the car doesn't have a trunk, then the gun case itself should be locked. There are also complications if you stop and open the trunk anywhere along the way, like hotels, gas stations, and rest stops.

I recommend you read the whole page.

Chicagoresident, the link to the pamphlet was very helpful. Thanks.

Euler, although the link you provided relates to interstate travel, it's helpful too.

My thoughts weren't about how to squeak by the laws covering transporting weapons, I was trying to decide if a locked utility trailer, not a "camper", would be considered a case. More of a thought exercise.

I'm all "carded-up" in Illinois, but the easiest/safest way to go seems to be to have the guns in, (what would be considered by the average Joe to be a case), inside of the trailer.

Thanks for your input.

Bizarrely IL transport law is more lenient than federal law.

That's because federal law isn't a requirement per se, its a set of conditions to grant immunity from local prosecution. Many states laws are more lenient than the requirements and in those cases you can transport according to those state laws, but if you are travelling through a restrictive state on the way to a less restrictive one (eg. going through New York to get to Maine) the federal law grants you immunity from prosecution in NY, provided you meet the conditions

Archived