ill foid&ccl.,what happens if you leave the state for a few months for an extended vacation

biggun 1

so go to arizona for 2 months. did you terminate your lease here? or sell your house? as long as the address you have on your DL, FOID, CCL is still able to reach you (like if it's relative's or friend's), there's no requirement that you actually physically stay at that location for any specified amount of time for you to be considered a resident of IL.

if you want to go to AZ, rent a locker and put all yer stuff in and go to AZ.

biggun 1, just curious: what prompted your question? Other than Illinois' idiocy overall, is there something that would lead you to believe a FOID and CCL would be terminated during a trip out of the state?

I wondered too about that logic We would all be in trouble when we went on vacation. The fact that we have other states honoring our license allows us to go on vacation or for whatever purpose and allow us to carry legally.

biggun 1, just curious: what prompted your question? Other than Illinois' idiocy overall, is there something that would lead you to believe a FOID and CCL would be terminated during a trip out of the state?

i asked because illinois is such an a** backwards state,a good friend moved their and i want to check it out,i am really tired of the bs in this state

I wondered too about that logic We would all be in trouble when we went on vacation. The fact that we have other states honoring our license allows us to go on vacation or for whatever purpose and allow us to carry legally.

i figured it would be ok for a short time.where better to get the type of questions answered than right here.i went to the isp website and could not find anything on it.

I was told by my friend, who is an IL resident, but winters in Arizona for several weeks per year, that he could get an Arizona ID because he owns a condo there, w/o surrendering his drivers license, an now be able to buy guns in Arizona while he is there. My friend was told this by a local gun dealer in Arizona. Does this sound correct? My friend wants to have a gun at his condo without having to transport one from IL.

OK, idiot question. Why do you have to have an AZ ID to.buy a gun in AZ? Can't you just use a local FFL?

He might be able to buy a rifle/shotgun in AZ as an Illinois resident.

You can only buy a handgun IN your home state. An FFL in Arizona would need to ship it back to an FFL in Illinois for the transfer.

I have long imagined a Universal Background Check and modern communications systems could solve that problem.

I was told by my friend, who is an IL resident, but winters in Arizona for several weeks per year, that he could get an Arizona ID because he owns a condo there, w/o surrendering his drivers license, an now be able to buy guns in Arizona while he is there. My friend was told this by a local gun dealer in Arizona. Does this sound correct? My friend wants to have a gun at his condo without having to transport one from IL.

Thought one needed to be in states more than 6 months to be considered a resident and then get a DL. This doesnt sound correct to me.

OK, idiot question. Why do you have to have an AZ ID to.buy a gun in AZ? Can't you just use a local FFL?

As answered, hassle of transferring via FFL via IL resident, although there is the discussion around a non resident veing anle to purchase long gun out of state as long as both state rules are followed...but I guess Ive read some gun store policies don't / won't do so.

He might be able to buy a rifle/shotgun in AZ as an Illinois resident.

You can only buy a handgun IN your home state. An FFL in Arizona would need to ship it back to an FFL in Illinois for the transfer.

I have long imagined a Universal Background Check and modern communications systems could solve that problem.

With todays electronic communications, NICS, etc there is no longer the 1960s convoluted need for shipping paperwork, phone calls, etc. Dont see a real need for the home state purchase restrictions today, is there?

When I got my Illinois ccw, I was traveling in Az and being out of state they would not mail the card to me. I contacted the person via email, and he advised that when we got home, notify them via email and they would ship to our Illinois address. Once we canceled the mail forwarding for our trip, I forwarded a response to his email and they posted the card to my home.

As for buying firearms in Az. This last winter I hit a few gun shops looking for a low cost 3006 for my nephew. Every state I inquired about it said they could sell me a long gun and I could take it with that day, just no short guns. We no longer live in Illinois so I don't know if that premission extends to Illinois residents. The dealers did go on line to see if it was a legal sale though.

From the ATF:

"ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. See also ATF Publication 5300.4 (2005), Question and Answer B12, page 179. Similarly, in ATF Ruling 80-21 (ATFB 1980-4, 25), ATF held that, during the time college students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an offcampus location, they are considered residents of the State where the on-campus or offcampus housing is located."

Link to full document: https://www.atf.gov/file/55496/download

You need to be careful there. While you may own / rent homes in more than one state (e.g. snowbirds who winter in warmer states), you can only be a legal resident of one state. This would be the state you consider your "home", (following the various rules, such as more time spent there, register to vote there, friends / family / work there, etc)...

You can only have a DL from your "home" state, and only a resident CCL from your "home" state. If you get a State ID in AZ, it may lead down the path of making you an "AZ Resident" which would (among other things) invalidate your IL CCL. IMO you should speak with an attorney before following that advice.

And you "can" buy a gun in AZ legally, but it's just a lot more hassle. The seller would have to ship it to an IL FFL, and then you could pick it up in IL. Much easier to legally buy your guns while here, and travel with them to AZ. Nothing illegal about leaving some there year-round if you have a home there. Interesting doc that obfd13 mentioned; that is also worth exploring, but watch out for hidden pitfalls...

IANAL...

From the ATF:

"ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. See also ATF Publication 5300.4 (2005), Question and Answer B12, page 179. Similarly, in ATF Ruling 80-21 (ATFB 1980-4, 25), ATF held that, during the time college students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an offcampus location, they are considered residents of the State where the on-campus or offcampus housing is located."

Link to full document: https://www.atf.gov/file/55496/download

Thank you for this information. This linked document seems very clear that if you are eligible to obtain a state ID then while residing in the state you may legally purchase a handgun. My friend will be happy to have this information.

Archived