Active Shooter course at ISRA

THE KING

I just got off the phone with Ann from the ISRA. We talked about the Active Shooter course they are offering in April. I let her know that others had concerns over this course and possibly the instructor and that she would be receiving emails in regards to this.

I directed Ann to this website and had her read for herself the comments and concerns that were posted. I directed her to post #30 by NRA Pistol where this topic started. By the tone of her voice, I think she was surprised at what she read. At this point I also questioned whether this course was sanctioned by FEMA / DHS and she did not know. She did not know whether it was a "Certified " course or not.

Ann will be passing this information on to her boss, Richard. I took that to be Richard Pearson. I gave her my cell number and asked her to call me when she had any information regarding our questions.

I should be hearing from her by either Friday or early next week. When I have any answers, I will post them here.

KING

I just got off the phone with Ann from the ISRA. We talked about the Active Shooter course they are offering in April. I let her know that others had concerns over this course and possibly the instructor and that she would be receiving emails in regards to this.

I directed Ann to this website and had her read for herself the comments and concerns that were posted. I directed her to post #30 by NRA Pistol where this topic started. By the tone of her voice, I think she was surprised at what she read. At this point I also questioned whether this course was sanctioned by FEMA / DHS and she did not know. She did not know whether it was a "Certified " course or not.

Ann will be passing this information on to her boss, Richard. I took that to be Richard Pearson. I gave her my cell number and asked her to call me when she had any information regarding our questions.

I should be hearing from her by either Friday or early next week. When I have any answers, I will post them here.

KING

Thank you very much. This is great!

I hope that the class is not full by the time they get back to you, so that if it is a certified course, and our concerns are addressed, that it is not full and we can still get in.

I hope it is a certified course as I am signed up. I hate to say this, but if it is not sanctioned / certified, I will probably drop the course. Only time will tell.

That's what I'm hinging my decision on. I sent my own email with my questions yesterday and got a reply back this morning that doesn't really set well with me.

My questions were simply:

• Are there any training prerequisites for the course?
  • Is there a course syllabus that I can preview?
  • What are the material requirements for the course?

The response was:

All you need to have is a valid FOID card and pen & paper if you want to take notes. There are no prerequisites, except you need to pre-register, we accept NO walk-ins. There is no syllabus, our instructor will be going over various scenarios, what to ‘watch’ for and what we should or should not do if we come across an active shooter.

The course fee provides donut/Danish , coffee or tea in the morning and lunch in the afternoon as well as a drink (water or pop).

So I don't really have an understanding of what we're going to be learning, the material we're covering, or why we need a FOID. The only thing I am certain of is someone will be talking to me and that I'm going to get a breakfast I cannot eat and some sort of lunch. Great way to sell a class.

I hope it is a certified course as I am signed up. I hate to say this, but if it is not sanctioned / certified, I will probably drop the course. Only time will tell.

who are you wanting it to be certified by exactly?

From the other thread, FEMA/DHS certifies active shooter course participants. So our question there would be, is this a FEMA/DHS sanctioned course and will we be provided the that certification that we attended/completed the course to their satisfaction? If the answer is yes, then that is a big reason to take this course. That certification holds water.

Hi,

I signed up for the course, also. I went to the Department of Homeland Security and found some additional info. There is a video, as well as discussion material. Didn't say whether it was certified or not. No sense on taking if not certified.

jkrzos

Hi,

I signed up for the course, also. I went to the Department of Homeland Security and found some additional info. There is a video, as well as discussion material. Didn't say whether it was certified or not. No sense on taking if not certified.

jkrzos

Would you mind posting the links to that stuff?

FEMA IS-907: Active Shooter: What You Can Do

Course Overview: An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and other populated area. In most cases, active shooters use firearms and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims. Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly.

All employees can help prevent and prepare for potential active shooter situations. This course provides guidance to individuals, including managers and employees, so that they can prepare to respond to an active shooter situation.

This course is not written for law enforcement officers, but for non-law enforcement employees. The material may provide law enforcement officers information on recommended actions for non-law enforcement employees to take should they be confronted with an active shooter situation.

Take the course here: https://training.fem...spx?code=IS-907

From the other thread, FEMA/DHS certifies active shooter course participants. So our question there would be, is this a FEMA/DHS sanctioned course and will we be provided the that certification that we attended/completed the course to their satisfaction? If the answer is yes, then that is a big reason to take this course. That certification holds water.

I spoke to DHS a week or two ago, and they stated they do not certify instructors and stated they had no upcoming courses in the area. He was a very nice guy, former cop in morton grove, we got to chit chatting about various topics and guns. LOL He seemed bored.

I spoke to DHS a week or two ago, and they stated they do not certify instructors and stated they had no upcoming courses in the area. He was a very nice guy, former cop in morton grove, we got to chit chatting about various topics and guns. LOL He seemed bored.

If they do not certify instructors and there are no upcoming courses, then how is this guy teaching this class. Makes me wonder.

Maybe you need to call Ann at the ISRA and let her know about this.

From FEMA Q&A: Who can teach independent study courses?

Answer: The primary audience for the Independent Study Program is first responders, EMS personnel and US citizens. The Independent Study Program has no requirements for instructors to teach our courses; however, we do suggest the instructor is familiar with the course materials before teaching the course. Reviewing the material, taking and passing the exam online and reviewing any classroom materials provided are suggested ways to familiarize yourself with the material. All exams must be submitted online at http://training.fema.gov/IS

I would be concerned with a class size of up to 60 people in a single 8 hour day. I took a two-day class out at the Sig Sauer Academy, in New Hampshire a few years ago. It was a combination of class room and live fire; we had around a dozen students and I feel that is a more appropriate class size. There is also a 3rd day class available with Force-on-Force scenario training, using simunitions. Also highly recommended! Of course you’re going to have to travel to New Hampshire and it’s going to cost you more than $50 (ISRA Member), but I think you will receive the type of training that you are looking for.

https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/productdisplay/active-shooter-response-concerned-citizen-rassa

https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/productdisplay/active-shooter-response-concerned-citizen-fof-rassa

https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/instructors/todd-rassa

Answer: The primary audience for the Independent Study Program is first responders, EMS personnel and US citizens. The Independent Study Program has no requirements for instructors to teach our courses; however, we do suggest the instructor is familiar with the course materials before teaching the course. Reviewing the material, taking and passing the exam online and reviewing any classroom materials provided are suggested ways to familiarize yourself with the material. All exams must be submitted online at http://training.fema.gov/IS

I just took this online. It's kind of a joke, really. 15 minutes long and free.

:sadtrombone

I created the login and such. I'm going to go over the material and do the same. No real point in paying an instructor to do it withe

I`m impressed. There are 14 minutes of video alone. If you could read all that text, answer the questions, and take the test in less than a minute, impressive.

I`m impressed. There are 14 minutes of video alone. If you could read all that text, answer the questions, and take the test in less than a minute, impressive.

That's if you actually paid attention to the video.

OK, I just got off the phone with Ann from the ISRA. She did speak with Richard Pearson and I was told that this course is Homeland Security approved. My next question was as to whether we would receive a certificate of course completion. Ann did not have an answer for that but I think she will be checking on it.

From my understanding, yes, this is the same Jeff Gregorec from the 2007 article. Ann's only comment about Jeff is that he was acquitted from those charges and is still currently working for the military. She will be in contact with him soon as they have other questions and I hope she contacts me back soon with my question about the class certificate.

Other than that, I really don't know much else. Please don't shoot the messenger. If you have other concerns or just want to gripe about this class, pick up the phone and call the ISRA

THANKS

KING

Archived