Amy Coney Barrett

fxdpntc

Interesting dissent to a recent 7th Circuit decision about felons and the Second Amendment.

Also interesting, because Barrett's possible appointment to the SC, is controversial among 2A supporters.

Rickey I. Kanter pleaded guilty to one count of federal mail fraud for falsely representing that his company’s therapeutic shoe inserts were Medicare-approved and for billing Medicare on that basis. Both federal law and Wisconsin law bar a convicted felon from possessing a firearm.

On Friday, a Seventh Circuit panel ruled (in Kanter v. Barr) that the application of those federal and Wisconsin bars to Kanter did not violate his Second Amendment rights. In an impressive dissent (beginning here), Judge Amy Coney Barrett explained why she disagreed. From her opening paragraphs (emphasis in original):

History is consistent with common sense: it demonstrates that legislatures have the power to prohibit dangerous people from possessing guns. But that power extends only to people who are dangerous.

https://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/judge-barretts-dissent-in-second-amendment-case/

I like the argument, there are WAY and I mean WAY too many non-violent crimes that should not remove protected rights for a lifetime if at all, but they do and the list grows literally every day!

IMO it's a planned and deliberate government overeach and opression tactic by leglislators used to circumvent the Constitution's protections.

Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1594035229

The volume of federal crimes in recent decades has increased well beyond the statute books and into the morass of the Code of Federal Regulations, handing federal prosecutors an additional trove of vague and exceedingly complex and technical prohibitions to stick on their hapless targets. No social class or profession is safe from this troubling form of social control by the executive branch, and nothing less than the integrity of our constitutional democracy hangs in the balance.

History is consistent with common sense: it demonstrates that legislatures have the power to prohibit dangerous people from possessing guns. But that power extends only to people who are dangerous. Founding-era legislatures did not strip felons of the right to bear arms simply because of their status as felons.

I love this.

IC has been making this same argument for years.

Now we can only hope RBG leaves the bench.

ACB would be a nice replacement based on this dissenting opinion from her.

It will also be interesting to see how the left wages a war of personal destruction on her (ACB - if nominated). Unlikely they will go with their standby of uncorroborated sexual harassment so I wonder what they will turn to. My bet is that they will attack her faith as a Catholic and say that she is disqualified because she believes abortion is immoral. In doing so, they'll also turn Article VI, Clause 3 on its head.

Now we can only hope RBG leaves the bench.

ACB would be a nice replacement based on this dissenting opinion from her.

It will also be interesting to see how the left wages a war of personal destruction on her (ACB - if nominated). Unlikely they will go with their standby of uncorroborated sexual harassment so I wonder what they will turn to. My bet is that they will attack her faith as a Catholic and say that she is disqualified because she believes abortion is immoral. In doing so, they'll also turn Article VI, Clause 3 on its head.

Yea, they will go the 'bigoted route, possibly using her religious beliefs as the *ist basis.

It will soon be time to replace Bader-Ginsberg, and watch how the liberal entitlement babes will screech and wail, demanding that a "progressive" female judge be picked as Ginsberg's replacement to "honor her memory".

They will wage a war of destruction against Barrett. I think it reveals that the National Organization for Women, is nothing but a collection of radical leftists who happen to be female.

The National Organization for Woman will praise secular feminists who advocate for easier and tax-payer funded abortions, but a Christian woman who wants to marry a man, and have 5 or 6 kids? They call her a cow and the liberal media never says a peep about it. National Organization for Women ? Well not for Jewish women, not unless those Jewish women are willing to label Israel as an occupying power and advocate for sanctions against Israel.

A prominent conservative African American woman was called an Uncle Tom and an Aunt Jemima, and there was never a statement from NOW condemning the remarks. As soon as there is any criticism of a female liberal progressive politician, NOW immediately categorizes the criticism as a sexist attack by those who are waging a war on women.

History is consistent with common sense: it demonstrates that legislatures have the power to prohibit dangerous people from possessing guns. But that power extends only to people who are dangerous. Founding-era legislatures did not strip felons of the right to bear arms simply because of their status as felons.

I love this.

but... but... Guns are evil killing machines therefore anyone who owns one is dangerous...

I love this.

but... but... Guns are evil killing machines therefore anyone who owns one is dangerous...

This a clear demonstration of the ingestion of "Liberal Logic"....

While you point is taken...be careful. Experimenting too much with such a drug will cause long-term mental health issues.

(Not purple)

It will soon be time to replace Bader-Ginsberg, and watch how the liberal entitlement babes will screech and wail, demanding that a "progressive" female judge be picked as Ginsberg's replacement to "honor her memory".

They will wage a war of destruction against Barrett. I think it reveals that the National Organization for Women, is nothing but a collection of radical leftists who happen to be female.

The National Organization for Woman will praise secular feminists who advocate for easier and tax-payer funded abortions, but a Christian woman who wants to marry a man, and have 5 or 6 kids? They call her a cow and the liberal media never says a peep about it. National Organization for Women ? Well not for Jewish women, not unless those Jewish women are willing to label Israel as an occupying power and advocate for sanctions against Israel.

A prominent conservative African American woman was called an Uncle Tom and an Aunt Jemima, and there was never a statement from NOW condemning the remarks. As soon as there is any criticism of a female liberal progressive politician, NOW immediately categorizes the criticism as a sexist attack by those who are waging a war on women.

You have to look no further than NOWs support of Bill Clinton knowing full well how he treated women.

As long as Bill was 100% behind reproductive rights he could do no wrong in the eyes of NOW.

If it ever comes to ACB being nominated to the SCOTUS you will see what true misogyny looks like,

We've been going even further. Say someone was convicted of a forcible felony 20 years ago. Burglary. Has since turned their life around. Not so much as a speeding ticket since. I don't (and many of us don't) see why that person should be permanently stripped of his or her gun rights because of something they did two decades ago that changed their life for the better. It's the government saying "We want you to better yourself, but we're still gonna slap that scarlet 'F' for 'felon' on you for life and deny you rights." Doesn't comport with the intent of rehabilitation. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived