Basic Pistol Update

NRApistol

Instructors, the new Basic Pistol Lesson plans are available at nrainstructors.org. The site is only available to instructors willing to support the NRA. How many of you are willing to take the same pledge TCs do.
Wait... What did I just agree to? It looked like a software EULA. [/sarcasm]

After a quick overview, the new BP-ILT looks like the old BP but with the new targets similar to those used in Blended Learning.

Students must get 90% on the written test and shoot four 5-shot groups in a 3-4 inch circle in order to pass.

Probably some other minor changes I missed. Hard to read the whole thing on my phone.

Instructors, the new Basic Pistol Lesson plans are available at nrainstructors.org. The site is only available to instructors willing to support the NRA. How many of you are willing to take the same pledge TCs do.

You are starting to sound a bit like an info-mercial. Lol. The point you are missing is that almost all Instructors that go out for certification are fairly ardent supporters of the NRA. It is by far the most effective and best leveraged 2nd amendment foundation on the globe. Almost every TC and instructor share a huge comittment to that organization, and the sheer volume of NRA coursework taught in IL was a testament to that fact...right up until the blended learning catastrophe. Perhaps one in 50 instructors found students willing to be beta testers for that program, and I would imagine that now that Basic Pistol is going to be taught in the way it was intended, you will see a large gravitation back to the Basic Pistol course in IL.

Even those who felt burned by the forced transition know the NRA is home.

I endorsed the original BP heavily and am looking forward to doing it again now that "New Coke" is being sidelined. Most of us knew it would get here, and are grateful for the return to the core values of Instruction for what was the most marketable course the NRA has to offer.

The new lesson plans look good!

Rocco

You are starting to sound a bit like an info-mercial. Lol. .....

Rocco

LOL ... I can be that way when it comes to the NRA Training programs. The BP Program is now very flexible for the instructor. However we got to this point it is time to bring our instructors back into the NRA training mind set. The "New Coke" is history.

• 5 weeks later...

Last week I ran a Workshop for some of my current BP Instructors to bring them up to date on the New "old" BP lesson plans. Instructors that were qualified with the Red text book will be right at home with the new lesson plans. You have the option of teaching revolver or semiautomatic or both. You also have the option of teaching blended or 100% instructor led. Students can qualify at 4 different skill levels. The Performance Checklist from blended has been added to the new lesson plans. The NRA BP course is now "Objective Driven" there is no set total time requirement The student packets only contained the New Text Book and the student test. I had to purchase the card with safety rules and the Winchester / NRA booklet separately. A negative is the course completion certificate. You will need internet access and a printer to print the certs.

• 9 months later...

In the next few weeks, NRA Training is releasing the second version of the online e-learning module of the Basics of Pistol Shooting. Here's what you need to know:

The material is the same as the previous course. The questions, videos, and illustrations are all new, but the core material hasn't changed. The Instructor-Led portion of the course hasn't changed, either.

What has changed: Students will have the option to test out of certain non-safety related chapters, which reduces seat time for students who already have the knowledge and skills for those sections. Students who want to test out of a chapter must score 100% on the pre-chapter exam -- or else they'll have to go through that chapter, just like everyone else.

There are slight changes to the way the Course Control Codes are administered. Students won't create usernames and passwords when they sign up with you. They'll provide an email address, which the Control Code is directly tied to. Students enter that email address on our online training site. After students create their accounts, they're prompted to use their Course Control Code. There will be a 60-day grace period for students who are currently enrolled in the old course to finish, so they don't have to start over in a new course.

If you have feedback on these changes, please pass it along to your Training Counselor, who will send it along to NRA Training.

• 2 months later...

The most important part of the NRA Basic Pistol and Shooting Course is that it will not be accepted as credit toward you Conceal Carry Permit requirements unless you pay additional money for "instructor lead training". The Basic pistol course is $60 for the online portion. By itself the online portion can't be used as credit for anything. The course is only complete once you have paid additional money to an NRA instructor for live training. Check with your local gun range if they will honor the course as credit. Shoot point Blank said they will not.

Archived