Dealing with citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon

Ashrak

Here is article I ran across yesterday. It is an interesting read, especially the comments. Notice that only law enforcement professionals are allowed to comment. I am positive that some would find and label a couple parts within this piece as "racist". Anytime someone makes mention of tilted brims and saggin' pants they are deemed "racist", but hey, the truth is what it is. I liked this read mostly because the right to carry is spreading and there is no stopping it. Nothing but good can come from LEOs that caution against treating law abiding gun owners like suspected felons. I hope to see more and more articles along these lines in the future.

Dealing with citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon

With 48 of our 50 states allowing some form of CCW permit, the possibility of encountering a law-abiding, pro-law enforcement person carrying a gun is significant, and growing

As the ‘right to carry’ spreads across the United States, many law enforcement agencies and police officers express their unease — and for some, outright alarm — at the idea of citizens carrying concealed weapons.

In an effort to disseminate useful information that would be of benefit to law enforcement, let me talk about this issue from both sides of the fence so to speak.

This is a very informative article but one statement the author made about concealed carry citizens that I caught was,

• "Do not expect them to know the letter of the law or the interpretations of the law in various districts—they will have a general idea what the law states"

I would have to say that is also true for us when dealing with a local police officer which is exactly the reason to carry the statues with you.

This one is my favorite comment:

...Agencies and officers express unease and outright alarm... Glad I don't work in their States as the crime rates must be astronomical. The more responsible citizens are armed, the less violent criminals are as brazen. Look at the city of Chicago keeping weapons from responsible citizens and then trying to call in the National Guard to lower the violent crime rates. I still have difficulty believing how many niave people believe everything the news and politicians tell them. Despite what the left may want, the conservatives are gaining ground and I'm not talking about DC as much as the states in the rest of the country.

Good Read!

I always find it interesting in that Chicago has all of this crime (murder) and with guns being banned and Illinois law that makes it a felony to simply possess a loaded gun or even an unloaded gun without a FOID, but still there are almost no prosecutions of the perps who are doing the violence under those statutes.

Logic (in practice) reveals that the powers that be don't really think that the object (the gun) is the problem because as soon as a crime is reported they send men to scene with guns. If guns were the problem, then why would they want to endanger the police officers with these terrible objects. No! They realize somewhere in the dark recesses of the their grey matter that guns in the "right" hands can be used as the tools to solve the problem. The police are the good guys and can therefore have guns but they have gone through the process to have the right to wear a badge.

Of all of those murders in Chicago, I wonder how many of those who were killed were murdered by someone who had gone through the process to have a FOID card. I will guess "zero". Doesn't that say something. CCW Permit holders, FOID card holders, and people who wear badges are much less likely to be involved in crime or criminal activity than the general population much less than the average gang banger. Yet, FOID card holders and CCW permit holders have been treated like criminals in waiting simply because they have the tool with which to commit a crime. As I heard someone say, "That makes no more sense than too consider all females to be potential protitutes simply because they have the right equipment."

In 1965 the Dominican Republic was able to overthrow a Marxist regime because the general public was well armed much in the same way that we were able to gain our independence almost 200 years earlier. It is true that LBJ sent some Marines down there to help out, but without the rag tag support of the general public the Dominican Republic would be a twin to Castro's Cuba. Guess what! Gun control is the word of the day in the Dominican Republic now. With successful rebellion against tyranny so recent, how could they even think about gun control? It blows the mind.

There are good guys and bad guys and there are a lot of good guys that don't wear badges or uniforms.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Read!

I always find it interesting in that Chicago has all of this crime (murder) and with guns being banned and Illinois law that makes it a felony to simply possess a loaded gun or even an unloaded gun without a FOID, but still there are almost no prosecutions of the perps who are doing the violence under those statutes.

Logic (in practice) reveals that the powers that be don't really think that the object (the gun) is the problem because as soon as a crime is reported they send men to scene with guns. If guns were the problem, then why would they want to endanger the police officers with these terrible objects. No! They realize somewhere in the dark recesses of the their grey matter that guns in the "right" hands can be used as the tools to solve the problem. The police are the good guys and can therefore have guns but they have gone through the process to have the right to wear a badge.

Of all of those murders in Chicago, I wonder how many of those who were killed were murdered by someone who had gone through the process to have a FOID card. I will guess "zero". Doesn't that say something. CCW Permit holders, FOID card holders, and people who wear badges are much less likely to be involved in crime or criminal activity than the general population much less than the average gang banger. Yet, FOID card holders and CCW permit holders have been treated like criminals in waiting simply because they have the tool with which to commit a crime. As I heard someone say, "That makes no more sense than too consider all females to be potential protitutes simply because they have the right equipment."

In 1965 the Dominican Republic was able to overthrow a Marxist regime because the general public was well armed much in the same way that we were able to gain our independence almost 200 years earlier. It is true that LBJ sent some Marines down there to help out, but without the rag tag support of the general public the Dominican Republic would be a twin to Castro's Cuba. Guess what! Gun control is the word of the day in the Dominican Republic now. With successful rebellion against tyranny so recent, how could they even think about gun control? It blows the mind.

There are good guys and bad guys and there are a lot of good guys that don't wear badges or uniforms.

to your point about foid card holders, gary....

I think its quite safe to assume, that if there was even a small percentage of foid card holders committing felonies or UUW violations, with the liberal media brigade we have here, we'd hear about it.

I'm going with "zero" too.

Zero? Yeah, it would be close enough to "zero" for government work. Although, in reality there is no group that have 100 per cent of the membership that can "walk on water". Whether you look at cops, doctors, priests, FOID card and CCW Permit holders, or actual real life Boy Scouts, but I am willing to bet that if the records were kept that we would find that a very small percentage of the murders, armed robberies, and assaults were committed by any of the groups formerly listed in this sentence. With an insignificant number of bad guys being the aforementioned people, it would give those of us that would like to have the stats to demonstrate that the ridiculous war on the good guys has had zero success in reigning in the bad guys. Not only that, if given a chance the good guys would like to be helpful in dealing with the bad guys. (Not in a personal and confrontational way, necessarially. More like a recognized "Crime Watch".) However, it seems that those who make and enforce the laws are being held back by a lack of willingness to understand and to address the problem much the same way that border enforcement seems to be unmanageable. I guess, that is becuase the bad guys vote?/????

Archived