Retailers requiring FOID from FCCL holders

Hap

Just had a dealer tell me the law only applied to ammo buying with an FCCL and that I had to have a FOID for a gun. Sheesh.

Was that somewhere near you? I bought my XDs and Ruger LCP II from Dunn's with my carry license Last fall.

An individual FFL. He back-pedaled from the statement when I got there.

• 9 months later...

This just came up for the very first time a couple of days ago - I had to tell the customer that I needed the FOID Card to run the background check since that was the last information I had received from the BATFE and the ISP-FTIP folks.

I then searched and found this thread, but the ILCS link still meant I had several minutes of searching the fine print to find the relevant section. Here it is - hope this saves someone some time going forward:

(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)
Sec. 3. (a) Except as provided in Section 3a, no person may knowingly transfer, or cause to be transferred, any firearm, firearm ammunition, stun gun, or taser to any person within this State unless the transferee with whom he deals displays either: (1) a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card which has previously been issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act; or (2) a currently valid license to carry a concealed firearm which has previously been issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. In addition, all firearm, stun gun, and taser transfers by federally licensed firearm dealers are subject to Section 3.1.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I’ve been presenting my IL CCW card in lieu of my FOID for ammo & firearms purchased without issue for the past couple of years. Yesterday I stopped by a Rural King to purchase ammo (I’ve bought ammo here dozens of times only showing my CCW card) and the gentleman at the counter informed me that he need to see my FOID. He said that two IL State Police officers paid the store a visit last week to inform them that the IL CCW ID is not valid proof of FOID (because out of state residents can get a IL CCW permit), and that all ammo & firearms purchases require a FOID be shown. Anyone have more details on if this is actually the case?

Iâve been presenting my IL CCW card in lieu of my FOID for ammo & firearms purchased without issue for the past couple of years. Yesterday I stopped by a Rural King to purchase ammo (Iâve bought ammo here dozens of times only showing my CCW card) and the gentleman at the counter informed me that he need to see my FOID. He said that two IL State Police officers paid the store a visit last week to inform them that the IL CCW ID is not valid proof of FOID (because out of state residents can get a IL CCW permit), and that all ammo & firearms purchases require a FOID be shown. Anyone have more details on if this is actually the case?
If they are out of state residents with a non-resident IL CCL, they don't need a FOID card to purchase guns or ammo in Illinois.

If the troopers actually said that, they're wrong.

Furthermore, how absurd is it they would be so concerned about any of the 57 nonresident IL CCL holders (all from VA or TX) buying ammo in Illinois...

Maybe the ISP is worried that Illinois FFLs will export "gun violence" to the rest of the nation through out-of-state CCLs operating a "lead pipeline."

Or maybe the salesperson had a personal agenda and made up an excuse.

I’ve been presenting my IL CCW card in lieu of my FOID for ammo & firearms purchased without issue for the past couple of years. Yesterday I stopped by a Rural King to purchase ammo (I’ve bought ammo here dozens of times only showing my CCW card) and the gentleman at the counter informed me that he need to see my FOID. He said that two IL State Police officers paid the store a visit last week to inform them that the IL CCW ID is not valid proof of FOID (because out of state residents can get a IL CCW permit), and that all ammo & firearms purchases require a FOID be shown. Anyone have more details on if this is actually the case?

Was the employee the person who actually spoke with the officers? Does he or whoever spoke with them get any contact information for the officers? Did the officers leave anything in writing concerning this unilateral effort by the ISP to rewrite IL law?

Was the employee the person who actually spoke with the officers? Does he or whoever spoke with them get any contact information for the officers? Did the officers leave anything in writing concerning this unilateral effort by the ISP to rewrite IL law?

I got the impression that he wasn’t the one there at the time and I have no idea about contact information left. He did say that the ISP left a sign that was taped to the gun counter explaining that CCW holders need to present their FOID. The employee was there when another customer saw the sign, called B.S. on the ISP shenanigans, promptly removed the sign and tore it up!

Archived