Pennsylnia No Longer Honors Out of State Non-Resident Permits

Gaius

You need to have a CCL from your state of residence.

I got my Pennsylvania permit in Erie County a couple of years ago.

"Non-Resident Permits

Note: You have to have a permit from your home state if your home state issue permits. Unless you are from Vermont which doesn’t issue permits. If your state is too restrictive and won’t issue you a permit you
can’t obtain a Non-Resident Pennsylvania Permit/License. Some Sheriff’s will not issue to non residents and/or have other stipulations to issue to non-residents. The PA Firearms Owners Assoc. has a List of Sheriffs and if they issue to Non-Residents. Most Pennsylvania Sheriff’s have websites that you can check with that give a lot of information. Some Sheriff’s will let you apply by mail and then pick it up in person".

www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

"Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury".

http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Carrying-Firearms-in-Pennsylvania.aspx

Go to Centre County. There's a good brewpub (Otto's, State College) with a new distillery and a Fairfield Inn next door. It's a full days drive from Chicago. I'd leave early... spend the night and hit the Sheriffs office as soon as they open up. Maybe even stay a second night to hit the sights... Football Coach Hall of Fame, check out the hazing scene on frat row...

I've heard you will have your permit about 20 minutes after you arrive. Beautiful countryside.

Go to Centre County. There's a good brewpub (Otto's, State College) with a new distillery and a Fairfield Inn next door. It's a full days drive from Chicago. I'd leave early... spend the night and hit the Sheriffs office as soon as they open up. Maybe even stay a second night to hit the sights... Football Coach Hall of Fame, check out the hazing scene on frat row...

I've heard you will have your permit about 20 minutes after you arrive. Beautiful countryside.

I've got my reservation at the Fairfield Inn next month. :) I called the office this week and confirmed they still do same-visit turnaround (If your background check comes back good)

I've got my reservation at the Fairfield Inn next month. :) I called the office this week and confirmed they still do same-visit turnaround (If your background check comes back good)

Food and bevs at Otto's are pretty good! I like the big hoppy Double D. Been there a couple times passing through on the way home from the east coast.

Food and bevs at Otto's are pretty good! I like the big hoppy Double D. Been there a couple times passing through on the way home from the east coast.

I just looked at their menu; sounds like a good plan for dinner. PA's reciprocity change has wrecked havoc on our planned trip to Phily next month. I had to change up our family's plans and re-route through Bellefonte on the way there now instead.

Print out the application form and fill it out ahead of time, will save you time sitting in the lobby filling out the form.

There are apparently some other counties that will issue to non-residents, but there are many who will not and Centre has always been good. I made the mistake of calling a different county that was a shorter drive and went there, when I got there they decided they didn't want to issue to an Illinois resident. So I had to drive to Centre anyway.

I notice that theOP has not responded. Since he mentioned a New Hampshire permit, I wonder if he has Illinois, or even lives here.

I'm sure he lives here, but his question was answered above. :)

I too was carrying in PA on a NH permit (although I am an IL resident.) It was perfectly legal and the best option until last week. :cry: In fact, it's the only reason I got my NH non-res permit.

I notice that theOP has not responded. Since he mentioned a New Hampshire permit, I wonder if he has Illinois, or even lives here.

Yes I have an Illinois license and live here. I have non-resident permits from Utah, Florida, and New Hampshire. Why New Hampshire? Because Pa still recognized NH out of state non-resident permits until now. I still travel to Pa occasionally.

Yes I have an Illinois license and live here. I have non-resident permits from Utah, Florida, and New Hampshire. Why New Hampshire? Because Pa still recognized NH out of state non-resident permits until now. I still travel to Pa occasionally.

I hope that we have provided enough information for you. As you see, many of us who hold Illinois CCLs have used them to obtain Pennsylvania. I live a little west of Chicago, so it was an easy trip to Erie and back. I am retired so had the time.

As others have said, many sheriff offices will have you in an and in 15 - 20 minutes. You can check on the county website ahead of time, download and fill out the application. Office hours vary for times for processing permits.

I concur on Erie County. No or very short wait, good people, fast and no nonsense.

From what I saw, Erie County wasn't doing same-day licenses though. They would mail your license to you instead of hand it to you. Is this correct?

I got my Pennsylvania permit in Erie County in August 2015. I left in 15 minutes with permit in hand. Their policy could have changed since then.

As mentioned above, it is a good idea to call ahead to any county that one may be contemplating to verify current policies and times.

I concur on Erie County. No or very short wait, good people, fast and no nonsense.

From what I saw, Erie County wasn't doing same-day licenses though. They would mail your license to you instead of hand it to you. Is this correct?

I got my Pennsylvania permit in Erie County in August 2015. I left in 15 minutes with permit in hand. Their policy could have changed since then.

As mentioned above, it is a good idea to call ahead to any county that one may be contemplating to verify current policies and times.

Same experience in July 2014, but agreed on calling ahead.

Same experience in July 2014, but agreed on calling ahead.

Thanks for the update! I am planning on Centre County, as it's on the way for a planned trip to Philadelphia, but it's always good to have a backup plan too. :)

There's a big hazard to stopping at Centre County to pick up a carry license.

The hazard is that you give them an application and a $20 bill (could have changed by now), have a quick chat with the friendly dispatcher who enters in all your info and goes through all the background checks, takes your photo, prints and laminates your license and then sends you on your way.

In 15 minutes.

Then the blood pressure starts to go up as it sinks in how badly ISP and the rest of Illinois government has and will continue to screw you (and all of us) over.

Archived