Uh-oh: SBR's, CLEO's, ATF, and Illinois.

jcloud

You're way ahead of me then. Where did you get your engraving done? I'm looking at this place (Veritas Machining LLC) as they will do the NFA engraving on the lip of the mag well. Heck I haven't even bought my barrels yet. Guess I need to get busy myself!

I had my engraving done by Ident Marking out of Rockwell, TX. I chose to have the engraving done on the front of the magwell so it would be this obvious thing. They did a fantastic job. I think the entire time from me shipping the lower out to getting it back was just under two weeks.

The only major part I haven't bought yet is a stock. Won't worry about that until I get the stamp).

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Question for a friend...

Ohio resident has a SBR taxed under an LLC.

I know he needs to file ATF paperwork to temporarily bring it across State lines but - is it legal to bring it to Illinois (temporarily) for a fun day at the range?

He does *not* have a C&R.... I'm assuming that without a C&R possession within Illinois is not legal - so either the BATF won't allow transport into Illinois or he risks bad things if they do allow it...

If he get's his C&R (as an individual rather than as his LLC) - would it then be legal? What if he got his C&R as his LLC?

Edit: Plain reading of the statute seems to suggest that he needs to have a C&R in his own name (NOT his LLC) - then he would be legal to possess it in Illinois. Filing with the ATF for transport should be all he needs to do after that. Does anyone have any reason to doubt this?

The reason to doubt that is that they are denying SBR approvals to trusts even though the trustees have C&Rs.

In his case, he should apply for a C&R BOTH in theh LLC's name as well as his own.

He has the ATF tax stamp already as an LLC (Ohia resident - its Illinois that has the non-llc requirement due to use of the word 'person' in the statute).

He has to apply to ATF for permission to transport to another state. Just like with stamps, they make a determination whether they think it's legal in his destination state. They appear to have the position that the entity has to have a C&R. Illinois would probably want the person possessing it in the state to have a C&R.

• 2 weeks later...

My first NFA...

- C&R application sent: 7 Apr 15

- C&R received: 6 May 15

- In person meeting with Peoria Country Sheriff McCoy. MORE than happy to sign Form 1. In and out in 5 min.

- AR lower engraved: Orion Arms in MN

- Finger Prints: Accurate Biometrics

- Form 1 & prints mailed: 23 May 15

- Credit card charged: 28 May 15

- Approved: 17 Jul 15

- Stamp received: 27 Jul 15

65 days door to door for Form 1 and stamp.

My first NFA...

- C&R application sent: 7 Apr 15

- C&R received: 6 May 15

- In person meeting with Peoria Country Sheriff McCoy. MORE than happy to sign Form 1. In and out in 5 min.

- AR lower engraved: Orion Arms in MN

- Finger Prints: Accurate Biometrics

- Form 1 & prints mailed: 23 May 15

- Credit card charged: 28 May 15

- Approved: 17 Jul 15

- Stamp received: 27 Jul 15

65 days door to door for Form 1 and stamp.

Nice! 111 days for me. Glad the BATFE is speeding things up!

How is the Kane county sheriff reacting to signing off on SBRs?

No problems with the Kane County Sheriff. I just called his office to set up an interview, but his Executive Assistant said to just drop the Form 1's off and to include my contact info. He signed the forms and they mailed them back to me.

Just finished (well kind of, still need some BUIS and a light of some sort) my 1st SBR Build. It's a LaRue PredatAR 5.56 lower upgraded with a LaRue MBT-2S Trigger, and a LaRue RAT Stock. A LaRue Stealth Upper with a 12" Barrel with a 9" rail, a Raptor Ambi Charging handle and a Aimpoint Micro T-2 red dot sight.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd70/Mike_Kline/LaRue%20Tactical/e3cacd64-d53e-495c-a219-75085965ebee.jpg?1439830261782&1439830262806&1439830266829

I just called the Park Ridge CLEO and spoke with his secretary. She was unaware of the change in the law so I offered to send her the documents that pertain to the SBRs. She told me that she would call me back after she spoke with a commander who handles these types of requests first.

Got a voicmail a few minutes later asking me to forward the documents so they can research the law. I sent them them copies of the following:

-Public Act 097-0936

-My C&R

-My FOID

-Letters from Sen. Haine and Rep. Unes

-A blank copy of ATF Form 1

I gave a brief description of the documents in my email and also stated that the blank ATF Form 1 was for their reference. I explained that the ATF is very particular in the format of Form 1 and that I already have a filled out copy that I can bring in person.

Fingers crossed hoping they are willing to sign.

I just called the Park Ridge CLEO and spoke with his secretary. She was unaware of the change in the law so I offered to send her the documents that pertain to the SBRs. She told me that she would call me back after she spoke with a commander who handles these types of requests first.

Got a voicmail a few minutes later asking me to forward the documents so they can research the law. I sent them them copies of the following:

-Public Act 097-0936

-My C&R

-My FOID

-Letters from Sen. Haine and Rep. Unes

-A blank copy of ATF Form 1

I gave a brief description of the documents in my email and also stated that the blank ATF Form 1 was for their reference. I explained that the ATF is very particular in the format of Form 1 and that I already have a filled out copy that I can bring in person.

Fingers crossed hoping they are willing to sign.

Hope it works out for you!

Had the Deputy Chief sign off on a Form 1. ATF cashed the checks. I will follow up when I hear something :)

Congrats! Now the fun part starts...waiting! I waited 111 days for my Stamps, but I've heard of some getting their stamps in approx 60 days. Hope you're one of those. I am just trying to figure out what weapon light system to put on my SBR and then it will be finished. Post up some pic's when you get your put together!

I have a friend in Park ridge who just moved there. he said the cops were pretty cool about his stuff and said if its legal they don't care. lets see how this holds up

Good to hear! I'm still waiting to hear back right now. The Chief was at some sort of conference last week apparently. I'm going to follow up tomorrow morning.

I got a call back yesterday afternoon from a commander telling me that they are still looking into the law. The officer I spoke with understood what I was asking for and seemed to have even read through the documents I had forwarded. I think that since I'm the first to apply they want to make sure everything is kosher.

So far it seems like they'll be willing to sign once they feel comfortable that the law actually allows for me to have an SBR.

Now I need to decide if I want a 10.5" Noveske or an 11.5" BCM barrel.

I got a call back yesterday afternoon from a commander telling me that they are still looking into the law. The officer I spoke with understood what I was asking for and seemed to have even read through the documents I had forwarded. I think that since I'm the first to apply they want to make sure everything is kosher.

So far it seems like they'll be willing to sign once they feel comfortable that the law actually allows for me to have an SBR.

Now I need to decide if I want a 10.5" Noveske or an 11.5" BCM barrel.

I'm in the same position. I talked to my local sheriffs office and they seem willing to sign off. They are just waiting to hear back from the ATF that they are good to sign off on it.

Been waiting 45 days now...

Wow I feel really sorry for you guys with timid LE. My local Chief and Sheriff will sign one on a walk-in. The one I mailed in this week, Chief was in a meeting, but called me on my cellphone to tell me to hang around for a few. He signs it. We chat about projects, then he calls down to booking to tell the guys I am coming for prints. I can print, fill out, get signed, get printed in time for the morning mail. I am being sincere when I say it really is crap what some of you guys have to wade through for a F1.

Wow I feel really sorry for you guys with timid LE. My local Chief and Sheriff will sign one on a walk-in. The one I mailed in this week, Chief was in a meeting, but called me on my cellphone to tell me to hang around for a few. He signs it. We chat about projects, then he calls down to booking to tell the guys I am coming for prints. I can print, fill out, get signed, get printed in time for the morning mail. I am being sincere when I say it really is crap what some of you guys have to wade through for a F1.

Down state?

I'm in Dupage county and emailed my cheif last week. He wasnt familiar with the process, but told me to drop off the paperwork and he would call the ATF. I did, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Archived