NRA Online Training Email Today

Illinoistacticaltraining

• Training Update
Go to...› All About Training Update

http://trainingupdate.nra.org/media/146621/logo_nra-instructors.png

Training Updates

All About Training Update

“Training Update” is a communication center exclusively for NRA Instructors. It contains articles, videos, news releases, special offers, information, topics - everything that keeps NRA instructors in the center of the communication loop.

The Forefront of Firearms Training

Since 1871, the National Rifle Association has been the premier provider of basic firearms training. For over 141 years, NRA’s training has continued to grow and improve in order to provide our students with the most informative and professional training experience possible. Our training fosters knowledgeable and safe students. It works – firearm accidents are at an all-time low.

Along the way, we have gone through many improvements that started with the development of handbooks for students. Those handbooks contained hand-drawn images that evolved into black and white photographs to more recent times, high definition color photos. In 2013, some 380,000 student copies of NRA’s Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook were sold.

We created similarity in the courses with the development of lesson plans that established learning objectives and helped instructors with time management. Next came overhead slides that allowed students to read information projected on a screen as the instructor taught the material. Our current PowerPoint presentations take the pressure off the instructor during their presentation and allow them to focus on total participant involvement. Beyond the handbooks and lesson plans, we have created a warehouse and distribution system for easy ordering of the materials needed for each course. NRAInstructors.org has become instructors’ exclusive tool for marketing courses and handling administrative needs for registering students and renewing ratings from NRA.

We are now starting on our next innovation in firearms training – blended learning. This teaching method blends an online student interface with one-on-one instructor training and evaluation. The online portion will cover the curriculum that is currently being taught from the student handbook. The live instructor will cover the hands-on firearm portions of the course, shooting exercises, the shooting qualification and make the final evaluation of student.

There will be two assessments of the student – upon completion of the online portion and during the live portion with the instructor. A student will not receive a certificate of completion for the NRA course until the instructor validates the student’s knowledge, skills, and attitude.

One of the major factors for moving towards the blended learning is it insures that each and every student receives the course information in a complete and consistent manner every time the course is given. Also the classroom portion of each course can now be accomplished by the student, at their pace, on their schedule. The ability for students to take the classroom portion at anytime, day or night, weekday or weekend, will increase the pool of students for you to evaluate and instruct. No longer will you need to rent a classroom where you will spend all of your day. This allows you to focus on the student’s course and their first shot. You decide on fee schedule, pre-range process and ultimately issue the certificate. The instructor has the final authority on when a student is ready to receive their certificate. As an NRA instructor, your process in determining which students are ready or those who need more training is important. You should have practices in place to determine each student is prepared for your instruction. This may include a safety test, shortened classroom review, and/or any process you feel necessary to ensure the student meets your standards for the live fire portion. As always, NRA is relying on the instructor to ensure each student meets the requirements to earn the certification.

There have been many questions about what NRA will be charging for the online portion of the course. That is yet to be determined based on the development cost of the learning management system. In the near future, we hope to build a senior team of training counselors that will assist in the continued growth and enhancement of the training programs. Our goal is to always be the standard when it comes to firearms safety, training and marksmanship. Blended learning is the first in the direction of securing ourselves of that standard. We will keep you informed on all these aspects. In 2015, we will introduce Basic Pistol in this new format and in time, all of our training courses will have an online component.

Lots of questions in to NRA no answers as of yet. How long will it be before Illinois files emergency rules to eliminate NRA Basic Pistol from its list?

The uniformity of training does not fly for me. I have seen so many ways that people can circumvent online training.

More questions, who will get these students on the range>? How are the instructors chosen? That and about a thousand other questions need to be answered.

I'm not bashing the NRA here, but in my opinion, this will damage the validity of the course and perhaps the relationship with instructors.

There is no substitute for time with students in the classroom. By the time we get to the range we have already worked on grip and stance, sight alignment and of course Safety Safety Safety... made sure their trigger pull looks good through the use of training pistols and the students have demonstrated muzzle control and trigger discipline. When we get to the range I already know which students need extra attention and in what areas that attention needs to be focused; There is no way to do this properly online, you have to demonstrate it and have it corrected as it happens. I hate that the first time they are going to do so will be on the range. (Either that or I still have to rent a room for $150-$250 Depending on what the NRA charges for the online portion this could actually cause the price of classes to rise.) In point of fact, I think this will increase the time we NEED to spend on the range, that's in itself, is not a bad thing, but my class will be more prepared and safety conscious for having had to demonstrate these skills over and over in the classroom. Also, we all know that the range time is what is hardest to come by for instructors. It's often the most costly too.

I have another ten paragraphs to type here, but I don't want to let emotion get the best of me or come off like I am bashing the NRA.

Next up PPITH?

Concerned Instructor

There have been many questions about what NRA will be charging for the online portion of the course. That is yet to be determined based on the development cost of the learning management system.

right there is the money shot.

Notice they started with pistol which is by far the course taught the most.

By the time it is fully implemented it is going to hit every course NRA offers....and it may yet be a good thing.

If they take it to First STEPS Rifle and Shotgun it'll screw up the Boy Scout merit badge program

Not a lot on on-line access out at camp ...

By the time it is fully implemented it is going to hit every course NRA offers....and it may yet be a good thing.

If they take it to First STEPS Rifle and Shotgun it'll screw up the Boy Scout merit badge program

Not a lot on on-line access out at camp ...

Scouts ought be exempted outright...but that would be logical

I hope they choke on it.

Wow Rock, care too elaborate?

I thought the same thing when I saw Rocco's post. I hope he does elaborate, but I have a feeling I heard it already.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman Schwarzkopf

he's got to be careful TC's have been told in no uncertain terms get with the program OR ELSE ....

Lots of questions in to NRA no answers as of yet. How long will it be before Illinois files emergency rules to eliminate NRA Basic Pistol from its list?

What makes you think that NRA BP will be disallowed?

What makes you think that NRA BP will be disallowed?

as adamant as ISP are that training not be online it's only logical they will dis-allow NRA BP course completed after what ever date the online required portion starts or maybe cut the credit to 4 hours

what an instructor could do is buy the NRA materials and teach the course the normal way and then record it as 'other training' on the instructor portal

as adamant as ISP are that training not be online it's only logical they will dis-allow NRA BP course completed after what ever date the online required portion starts or maybe cut the credit to 4 hours

what an instructor could do is buy the NRA materials and teach the course the normal way and then record it as 'other training' on the instructor portal

But will we still get to call it "NRA Basic Pistol" as far as the FCCL is concerned? Lots of unknowns at this point. I think it might be feasible that folks do the online portion, but for it to count in IL as 8 hours FCCL credit, we teach the class the same way we always have. They will get a review of all the online stuff this way. It will cost the students more time, but at least it could maybe still count in IL. The cost will go up for the student, though, unfortunately, as they will be paying the NRA as well as the local instructor. I foresee myself probably just converting CLIC into a 16 hour class with an 8 hour BP-like section, though without the NRA commercial at the end of the day. Just my musings after being in the humidity all day.

I have no desire to work with new shooters on the firing line that I have not worked with in the classroom for several hours. The NRA is wrong to do this. The antis must have gained a foothold in the NRA.

no just the accountants

Maybe the NRA should ask the instructors that are the front line of the training program.

I have yet to talk to one that agrees this is helping the student or making learning safer or more efficient.

I disagree with this new style completely, as I believe it's the teacher hands on that makes it understood the best,

and helps the student be the safest.

That is why I became an instructor.

This is another huge mistake by the NRA and it will cost them. There is so much rampant cheating discovered in any online training that all this will do is lower the perception of real training that the NRA now provides.

But, they also keep Wayne La Pierre on as the chief spokesman and Ted Nugent as the resident clown on the Executive Board and they have been destroying the NRA for years.

Archived