Cook County Sherifs Dept tried to illegally confiscate my FOID

jolebole

• 1 year later...

Received a message from jolebole. Glad to hear everything worked out:

situation cleared out after many attempts I got to speak with an investigator from Cook County Sheriff's Dept. I found out that one of my firearms that I sold privately, got stolen from the owners apt and ended up on the south side. So when the police confiscated the firearm they traced the serial# back to me and that's why CC Sheriff's deputies showed up on my door. But I have no idea why they left the hand written FOID revocation notice. Probably out of paper? After I gave them the information from the person whom I sold the firearm they never called or came to my house again. . .

Long story short...It was a happy ending for me after all the drama around the situation. The most important lesson here is "keep your firearm transfer paperwork at a safe place".. you never know

Hey guys,

Three Cook County Sheriffs deputies showed up at my door last week and left a notice that my FOID is REVOKED and I need to surrender it. They came in an unmarked SUV with regular IL plates. I called IL State Police and they said my FOID and CCL are both valid. I tried calling the Cook County Sheriffs office but nobody can give me an answer why and who sent them at my house. Since then nobody tried to call me, nobody came to my house to look for me or leave another notice or letter. Its been a week so far. I reported this to my local PD. Maybe someone from State Police will read this and maybe can get me some answers. I called the Sherifs office again but they said if my FOID is valid that "I should not worry about this so much".

I still don't have answers to some questions:

- Why Cook County Sherif's is trying to illegally confiscate my FOID? with a "fake" letter.

- FOID issue and revocation is State Police matter, not Cook County. I dont even live in Cook County

- I know that if a FOID is revoked, State Police is the one that sends the letters and nobody else.

- The number on the notice is impossible to reach. Does not even ring, Goes straight to voicemail.

- If they needed some information about a case or maybe a Ffirearms transfer, why nobody has tried to reach me since?

- The investigator on the notice does work in Cook County Sheriffs dept, but they have no idea what hes working on. They never tried to get me in touch with him. They did not even asked for my number.

Has anyone heard a similar crazy story like this? Please let me know what you think. I am attaching the notice so you can see it for yourselves.

Tell them to go to heck, not their job.

ISP should come get it or send you a letter, not Cook County...

Cook County spends too much time micro policing non-criminals...

Edited by kevinmcc

Hey guys,

Three Cook County Sheriffs deputies showed up at my door last week and left a notice that my FOID is REVOKED and I need to surrender it. They came in an unmarked SUV with regular IL plates. I called IL State Police and they said my FOID and CCL are both valid. I tried calling the Cook County Sheriffs office but nobody can give me an answer why and who sent them at my house. Since then nobody tried to call me, nobody came to my house to look for me or leave another notice or letter. Its been a week so far. I reported this to my local PD. Maybe someone from State Police will read this and maybe can get me some answers. I called the Sherifs office again but they said if my FOID is valid that "I should not worry about this so much".

I still don't have answers to some questions:

- Why Cook County Sherif's is trying to illegally confiscate my FOID? with a "fake" letter.

- FOID issue and revocation is State Police matter, not Cook County. I dont even live in Cook County

- I know that if a FOID is revoked, State Police is the one that sends the letters and nobody else.

- The number on the notice is impossible to reach. Does not even ring, Goes straight to voicemail.

- If they needed some information about a case or maybe a Ffirearms transfer, why nobody has tried to reach me since?

- The investigator on the notice does work in Cook County Sheriffs dept, but they have no idea what hes working on. They never tried to get me in touch with him. They did not even asked for my number.

Has anyone heard a similar crazy story like this? Please let me know what you think. I am attaching the notice so you can see it for yourselves.

ISP should come get it or send you a letter, not Cook County...

Cook County spends too much time micro policing non-criminals...

They were not there to collect his FOID, they were tracing a firearm he had previously owned and turned up somewhere else.

ISP should come get it or send you a letter, not Cook County

Cook Co has had a FOID revocation team for over 5 yrs now. Language was added to the law making it all legal too. I didn't know about it until the other day. I don't think most anyone else did either.

https://www.illinoisreview.com/illinoisreview/2013/07/cook-county-sheriff-sets-up-team-to-seize-revoked-foid-cards.html

Now Dart wants the law changed again to mandate a FOID revocation task force in every county, paid for by increasing the FOID fee, to give even more data to local law enforcement, and make non-compliance a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-sheriff-dart-gun-law-legislation-20190222-story.html

They were not there to collect his FOID, they were tracing a firearm he had previously owned and turned up somewhere else.

But that's not how it started. The sheriff's dept attempt at first contact resulted in leaving a letter stating his FOID was revoked and to turn it in.

That is correct. So basically they confiscated the firearm, ran the number and immediately concluded that it was an illegal sale or whatever and assumed that my FOID should be revoked without any action or communication with the state police. When I asked the investigator why they left such notice, he said: "Yeah its OK dont worry about it" :nono:

How do you know that these guy were really deputies and not some criminals using phony uniforms and forged paperwork? Criminals could impersonate law enforcement officers and potentially confiscate guns and ammo as well as a FOID card. Criminals could probably alter a FOID card to enable them to buy guns and/or ammo.

I really cant know for sure. That same question is bothering me too. I have a video of the 20min visit. I can share it via PM if you like to see it. I live in a very decent area of DuPage county where police is present everywhere (160k population). It would be very risky for outsiders to impersonate law enforcement officers in the middle of the day next to a very busy street.

Wait. Cook County Sheriffs were in DuPage county?? Why would they be outside their jurisdiction?? This doesn't pass the smell test.

That is correct. So basically they confiscated the firearm, ran the number and immediately concluded that it was an illegal sale or whatever and assumed that my FOID should be revoked without any action or communication with the state police. When I asked the investigator why they left such notice, he said: "Yeah its OK dont worry about it"

Great. Dart's team is doing whatever they want and he's asking for the law to be changed so he can get more.

I know you contacted the ISP once, but do they know the whole story?

Surely there must be a way to have an attorney file some sort of action to hold these malefactors accountable, particularly since it appears that by giving that false revocation notice, it would be an attempt, or more specifically conspiracy to deprive rights under color of law. To wit:

18 U.S. Code § 242.Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 696; Pub. L. 90–284, title I, § 103( :cool:, Apr. 11, 1968, 82 Stat. 75; Pub. L. 100–690, title VII, § 7019, Nov. 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 4396; Pub. L. 103–322, title VI, § 60006( :cool:, title XXXII, §§ 320103( :cool:, 320201( :cool:, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 1970, 2109, 2113, 2147; Pub. L. 104–294, title VI, §§ 604( :cool:(14)( :cool:, 607(a), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3507, 3511.)

If I recall correctly, conspiracy to commit a crime is treated as if the crime were actually committed.

18 U.S. Code § 241.Conspiracy against rights

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State,Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 696; Pub. L. 90–284, title I, § 103(a), Apr. 11, 1968, 82 Stat. 75; Pub. L. 100–690, title VII, § 7018(a), ( :cool:(1), Nov. 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 4396; Pub. L. 103–322, title VI, § 60006(a), title XXXII, §§ 320103(a), 320201(a), title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 1970, 2109, 2113, 2147; Pub. L. 104–294, title VI, §§ 604( :cool:(14)(A), 607(a), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3507, 3511.)
Quite frankly, what occurred here is a violation of civil rights, or a conspiracy to do so, and should be pursued ruthlessly as such. There has to be a crusading pro-Second Amendment attorney who would be willing to go after the Cook County Sheriff's Department for daring to do this sort of criminal act so brazenly.
Edited by ChicagoRonin70