Monitoring New Bills - Volunteers Needed

mauserme

SB 3340 FIREARM OWNERS ID ACT-REPEAL

Repeals the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Amends various Acts to make conforming changes.

SB 3395 FOID-STATE POLICE-RULEMAKING

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Requires the Department of State Police to adopt rules concerning applications for relief that it grants from particular prohibitions on the possession of firearms under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968. Provides that decisions of the Director of State Police to deny a person's application for relief from those prohibitions are exempt from the Administrative Review Law and subject to de novo review by a circuit court and that any party may, during that review, offer evidence that is otherwise proper and admissible without regard to whether that evidence is part of the administrative record. Also makes technical changes. Effective immediately.

SB 3464 FIREARM OWNERS ID-EXPIRATION

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that the expiration date of a renewed Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall be 10 years from the date of expiration of the previously issued Card regardless of the date that the renewed Card was processed by the Department of State Police.

Adding a few of Representative Reis' bills that might have been overlooked:

HB5206 - Criminal Law Tech

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons.

HB5209 - Safety Tech

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases.

HB5240 - Criminal Law Tech

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons.

HB5285 - Criminal Law Tech

Update House Bills 3601-4000 2/12/12

HB3601 CRIM CD-GANGS-NO FIREARM - Harry Osterman

Gun sales to a gang member legislation. – No FOID immunity.

Sent to rules no action since 3/17/2011

HB3634 CRIM CD-FIREARM TRANSPORT - Harry Osterman

Nullifies the Diggins Supreme Court Decision on cased transport. Sets the standard to the wildlife code definition of case. Adds a Class 1 felony enhancement for sale of a firearm to a gang member.

Sent to rules no action since 4/15/2011

HB3809 CRIM CD-GANGS-NO FIREARMKelly Cassidy, Maria Antonia Berrios, Camille Y Lilly

Gun sales to a gang member legislation. – No FOID immunity.

1/30/2012 Assigned to Judiciary II - Criminal Law Committee

HB3794 CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS – Bill Mitchell, Adam Brown, Chapin Rose

This one appears to be valid only in the county of issue based on the synopsis.

Sent to rules 10/5/12

HB3796 FIREARM OWNERS ID-DURATION – Adam Brown, Roger Eddy, Mike Bost

FOID cards valid for a lifetime.

1/24/2012 - Assigned to Judiciary I - Civil Law Committee

Judiciary I - Civil Law Committee Hearing Feb 22 2012 9:30AM Stratton Building Room C-1 Springfield, IL

HB3880 WILDLIFE-APPRENTICE HUNTER – Brandon Phelps

persons aged 17 and under may apply annually for an Apprentice Hunter License. persons aged 18 and older may apply 3 times for an Apprentice Hunter License.

1/30/2012 Assigned to Agriculture & Conservation Committee

Agriculture & Conservation Committee Hearing Feb 21 2012 2:00PM Stratton Building Room 413 Springfield, IL

I have reviewed HB5401 – HB5500 and SB3701 – SB3827 (The rest in my group: HB5501-5600 and SB3828-3900 have not yet been filed.) There are a number of firearm related bills.

Good

HB5489 – Pam Roth. Changes the "age of consent" for FOID card issuance from 21 to 18.

SB3740 – Christine Johnson. Allows additional hunting season for counties with deer herds affected with chronic wasting disease.

SB3772 – Christine Johnson. Establishes Illinois License to Carry Firearms for Self-Defense Act. Allows CCW in Illinois!!!!! Sounds like a direct Senate corollary to HB148.

SB3791 – Darin LaHood. Takes away home rule training requirements for possession of a firearm. Would stop some of Chicago's current ridiculous regulations.

Neutral

SB3730 - Michael Frerichs. Technical change in "use of force" statue.

SB3820 – Michael Noland. Technical change in "use of force" statue.

Bad

HB5424 - Sara Feigenholtz. Prohibits sales of more than one handgun in 30 days, and creates a new offence to unlawfully acquire a handgun.

HB5432 - Ann Williams. Technical change in "use of force" statue. Labeled "bad" based on her past voting record.

Not sure if we need this one from Reis, but just in case

HB5367 - Hunting Permits Relatives Fees

Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides that nonresident relatives, including children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, sisters, and brothers of State landowners who own at least 40 acres shall be charged a permit fee equal to the resident's turkey or deer hunting permit fee for hunting on the relative's land only.

lockman, the group you requested is HB5801 - HB6000

SB3772 – Christine Johnson. Establishes Illinois License to Carry Firearms for Self-Defense Act. Allows CCW in Illinois!!!!! Sounds like a direct Senate corollary to HB148.

This says the CCW permit is only good for 3 years, I would have liked to see 5 at least. Also, they still say one of the qualifications for instructor is "National Rifle Association Pistol Marksmanship Instructor". I thought that was supposed to be changed to "Basic Pistol Instructor".

Using Google I can find some references to a National Rifle Association Pistol Marksmanship Instructor, but I'll be darned if I can find information on how to become one.

This says the CCW permit is only good for 3 years, I would have liked to see 5 at least. Also, they still say one of the qualifications for instructor is "National Rifle Association Pistol Marksmanship Instructor". I thought that was supposed to be changed to "Basic Pistol Instructor".

Using Google I can find some references to a National Rifle Association Pistol Marksmanship Instructor, but I'll be darned if I can find information on how to become one.

It's at first reading, HB148 is at third. 3772 is a long way from being law, lots can/could happen. Don't get too hung up on details at this point.

Tim

HB4063 - FOID Firearm

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Excludes from the definition of "firearm", any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding 18 inch in diameter or (rather than and) which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second. Effective immediately.

I think I saw someplace a few months ago that Illinois already had a law that basically did that. The Illinois paintball act or something on that order. Under current law the under .18 and 700 fps are not considered firearms. I would prefer to see something more in line with 15 USC 5001, subsection g, No state or municipality may regulate the sale,transfer, or manufacture of air guns, bb guns, pellet guns, etc. Then companies like Pyramyd Air would ship large caliber, or fast airguns to illinois which they will not do now because of the FOID act and definition of a firearm uncluding airguns over .18 and/ or 700 fps.

Sorry guys, I was out of town this weekend and didnt see the new bills posted. Here's what I've got.

HB5206 - Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons.

HB5209 - Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases.

HB5240 - Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons.

HB5285 - Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons.

HB5340 - Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Denies home rule powers to require firearm training and instruction or to otherwise regulate the ownership or possession of firearms. Effective immediately

Sorry for the delay. If you need more help let me know. Got some free time again.

Maybe of interest, maybe not:

HB5612

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides that deer may be taken in the State with rifles that fire certain handgun cartridges. Provides that over and under combination rifle-shotguns are prohibited.

***Personal comment*** Why would O/U combos be prohibited as long as both met the caliber/gauge requirements?? *********

Some shells dealing with the IDNR:

HB5618, HB5619, HB5620 and HB5621.

And... another carry bill, for tasers:

HB5649

House Sponsor Rep. Roger L. Eddy

Synopsis As Introduced

Creates the Stun Gun and Taser Concealed Carry Licensing Act. Provides that the Department of State Police shall issue a license authorizing a person to carry or possess a concealed stun gun or taser on or about his or her person to an applicant who: (1) is at least 18 years of age; (2) possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; (3) pays a license fee prescribed by the Department; (4) is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act, or the Deadly Weapons Article of the Criminal Code of 1961; and (5) demonstrates to the Department completion of a training course approved by the Department in the safe handling of a stun gun or taser and the laws concerning the justified use of force in defense of the person. Provides that a person issued a license to carry a concealed stun gun or taser may carry a stun gun or taser concealed upon his or her person and may use a stun gun or taser against another person in the exercise of reasonable force in defense of his or her person or in defense of other persons if the use of that force is justified under the Justifiable Use of Force Article of the Criminal Code of 1961. Prohibits the knowing carrying of a concealed stun gun or taser in certain places. Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that the unlawful use of weapons statute and the aggravated unlawful use of a weapon statute does not apply to or affect a licensee under the Stun Gun and Taser Concealed Carry Licensing Act, notwithstanding the provisions of that Act prohibiting the carrying of a concealed stun gun or taser in certain places, if the licensee meets the requirements of that Act. Effective immediately

That's all in the first 65 bills of my block in the House.

Tim

Another Wildlife bill I missed:

HB5640

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides that the Department of Natural Resources shall establish harvest report stations throughout the State during the open seasons for licensed hunters to report the number of deer and wild turkey harvested in person rather than through the telephone or the Department's website. Provides that the if the hunter chooses to report his or her harvest in person, he or she must report the harvest within 48 hours after the kill.

Update - Bills with no comment are still awaiting assignment or are shell bills

SB 3205 - SHELL BILL Creates the Law Enforcement Act. Contains only a short title provision. Sen. James F. Clayborne, Jr.

SB 3206 - SHELL BILL Creates the Law Enforcement Act. Contains only a short title provision. Sen. James F. Clayborne, Jr.

SB 3207 - SHELL BILL Amends the Environmental Protection Act. (possible use for a bullet type ban) Sen. James F. Clayborne, Jr.

SB 3218 - CRIM CD-GANGS-NO FIREARM (same bill he ran last year with more restrictions and penalties) Sen. Dan Kotowski

Assigned to Criminal Law 2/7/2012 Senate Added as Chief Co-Sponsor Sen. Jacqueline Y. Collins

SB 3219 - FOID CARD ACT-PRIVATE SALE (private sales only thru FFL with background check) Sen. Dan Kotowski

Assigned to Public Health 2/7/2012 Senate

SB 3300 - Amends the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Act. Makes a change in a Section concerning the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority. Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority; creation, membership, and meetings.(another committee for Quinn to appoint people to). Sen. Dan Kotowski

HB 4619 - Amends the Drug Court Treatment Act, the Veterans and Servicemembers Court Treatment Act, and the Mental Health Court Treatment Act. Rep. Michael G. Connelly

2/1/2012 House Referred to Rules Committee

HB 4661 - Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning a legislative declaration. Rep. Kelly M. Cassidy Not sure about this one but I there will be a lot of ugly amendments to it.

2/1/2012 House Referred to Rules Committee.

HB 4673 - Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Prohibits FOID revocation for treatment in a mental institution for active law enforcement in last five years. Rep. Dena M. Carli

2/7/2012 House Assigned to Executive Committee

HB 4679 - Creates the Firearms Dealer Security Act. Creates the Firearms Dealer Security Act. Provides that a federally licensed firearms dealer is required to equip and maintain its premises with an alarm system that includes video surveillance of all doors and windows. Rep. Esther Golar

2/15/2012 House Assigned to Business & Occupational Licenses Committee

HB 4702 - Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons. Rep John E. Bradley

2/3/2012 House Referred to Rules Committee

HB 4703 - Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons. Rep Jerry F. Costello, II

HB 4704 - Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases. Rep. Brandon W. Phelps

HB 4705 - Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons. Rep. Brandon W. Phelps

I put you down for the last 2 groups of house bills nocaster.

The House deadline to file substansive bills is today and the Senate deadline has already passed, so we're almost done.

It looks to me like House Bills on this page (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/default.asp) only go up to 5901. Since I am assigned 6000-6400, it looks like my job is done? Let me know if I am wrong, or if you want me to look at anything else.

I post this one only because something very similar turned into an AWB several years ago!!

HB5664

CRIM CD-STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that a prosecution for criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, or criminal sexual abuse may be commenced at any time.

Interesting:

HB5674

FIREWORKS-CONSUMER USE/SALE

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Pyrotechnic Use Act. Removes the prohibition of the possession, sale, or use of consumer fireworks. Provides that any individual that handles a consumer display must adhere to the guidelines set forth by the Office of the State Fire Marshal concerning consumer fireworks. Removes provisions that require any person buying or receiving consumer fireworks to have an applicable permit.

Castle Doctrine, Stand your Ground, Civil Liberty Immunity. Duplication of Justification of Force.

HB5681

ARMED CITIZEN LIABILITY ACT

Synopsis As Introduced

Creates the Armed Citizen Liability Act. Provides that a person is immune from civil liability arising out of the use of force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm if (i) the person reasonably believed that the force was necessary to prevent imminent death or bodily harm to himself or herself or to another person and (ii) the person against whom the force was used either was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering, or was inside after unlawfully and forcibly entering, the dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business of the person using the force. In such a case, provides that the finder of fact may not consider whether the person using the force had an opportunity to flee or retreat before he or she used the force, and provides that, with exceptions, the person using the force is presumed to have reasonably believed that the force was necessary to prevent imminent death or bodily harm to himself or herself or to another person. Provides for an award of reasonable attorney's fees, costs, compensation for loss of income, and other costs reasonably incurred to a person using such force. Provides that nothing in the Act limits any other available defense. Provides that the Act applies to a use of force that occurs on or after the effective date of the Act.

Extension of Order of Protection would affect FOID card

HB5684

CRIM PRO&DOM VIOLENCE-ORDERS

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Code of Criminal Procedure of 1963 and the Illinois Domestic Violence Act of 1986. Provides that a plenary order of protection shall be automatically extended by the court for an additional 2-year period from the time the order would have otherwise expired, upon a determination by the court by a preponderance of the evidence that the respondent has violated the order.

DNR Bill

HB5685

DNR LAND-DISORDERLY CONDUCT

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Department of Natural Resources (Conservation) Law of the Civil Administrative Code of Illinois. Provides that the Department shall have the authority to remove any individual or group of individuals engaging in illegal activities or disorderly conduct from any lands owned, leased, or managed by the Department and any lands that are dedicated as a nature preserve or buffer area under the Illinois Natural Areas Preservation Act and deny future entry to the same by way of revocation or suspension of access privileges. Provides that hearings on access privileges shall be governed by administrative rule. Provides that the Department may assess a fee of up to $1,000 for the reinstatement of a suspended license, permit, registration, and other privileges that it administers in the exercise of its powers and duties under Illinois law. Effective immediately.

Anoher Carry bill by Phelps, if needed:

HB5745

CONCEALED CARRY-FIREARMS

Synopsis As Introduced

Creates the Family and Personal Protection Act. Provides that the Department of State Police shall issue a license to carry a loaded or unloaded handgun to an applicant that meets specified qualifications, has provided the application and specified documentation, and has submitted the requisite fees. Provides that a license to carry a handgun entitles a licensee to carry a loaded handgun, either concealed or openly, on or about his or her person or in a vehicle, except in certain prohibited locations. Provides that the license shall be issued by the Department of State Police within 45 days of receipt from a sheriff and shall be valid throughout the State for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance. Provides for renewal of licenses. Establishes qualifications for licensees, certified firearms instructors, and instructor trainers. Provides for home rule preemption. Provides that the provisions of the Act are severable. Amends the Freedom of Information Act. Prohibits from inspection and copying information about applications for licenses to carry a handgun and about license holders contained in the database created by the Family and Personal Protection Act, except as authorized by that Act. Amends the State Finance Act and the Criminal Code of 1961 to make conforming changes. Effective immediately.

DNR Fees

HB5789

DNR-PARK ENTRANCE FEES

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Department of Natural Resources (Conservation) Law of the Civil Administrative Code of Illinois. Authorizes the Department to charge an annual vehicle admission fee and daily access fee for entrance to properties owned, managed, leased, or all by the Department. Provides that the Department may charge a daily access fee to pedestrians and to owners of vehicles that do not have a current annual vehicle sticker. Provides that the Department may establish a fee for individuals who use a park without paying the annual vehicle admission fee or daily access fee. Requires revenue generated by the annual vehicle admission and daily access fees to be deposited into the State Parks Fund or Wildlife and Fish Fund. Authorizes the Department to adopt any rules necessary to implement these fees. Effective July 1, 2012.

That should take care of HB5601 - HB5800. Anyone is welcome to check my work to make sure I didn't miss something.

Tim

Checked HB5501 - HB5600

Good

HB5565 - Jerry Costello. Creates Statewide pre-emption on Firearm laws. (This would be nice, since we are only one of 5 states currently without any pre-emption on more restrictive firearm laws by municipalities.)

HB5571 - Joe Sosnowski. Exempts Real Estate brokers and salesmen from Aggravated UUW Statute. (However, they must take security officer training to qualify, before they can legally carry a firearm.)

Sorry this one got by me!! Its pretty inportant also!!

HB 5167

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Use Tax Act, Service Use Tax Act, Service Occupation Tax Act, and Retailers' Occupation Tax Act. Imposes a 2% surcharge on firearm ammunition. Amends the State Finance Act. Creates the High Crime Trauma Center Grant Fund. Requires the 2% surcharge to be deposited into the Fund. Subject to appropriation, authorizes the Department of Public Health to make grants to trauma centers in high crime areas. Effective immediately.

HB 5151

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Premises Liability Act. Provides that an owner or operator of a firearm range placed in operation after January 1, 1994 is immune from criminal liability and is not subject to any action for public or private nuisance or trespass arising out of or as a consequence of noise or sound emissions resulting from the normal use of the firearm range if: all areas from which a firearm may be properly discharged are at least 500 (rather than 1,000) yards from any occupied permanent dwelling on adjacent property; or the firearm range met those requirements at the time the range began its operation and subsequently an occupied permanent dwelling on adjacent property was built within 500 (rather than 1,000) yards from an area of the range from which a firearm may be properly discharged. Effective immediately.

Here's a recap of the work we've done.

These lists pick up where 45superman's lists left off. I have not included every shell bill and everything involving wildlfe. The wildlife bills, though important to many members, often do not touch directly on firearms. The shell bills are too numerous to watch them all, but I will check any that show up on the daily calendar. If you feel strongly about including any that have been omitted please let me know.

House Bills Added

Senate Bills Added

Archived