Niles Gun Range

BigKahuna

Last I spoke to the owner they are looking at a May opening.

Somehow I didn't see this thread until now. This is amazing news, much closer to my house.

Maxon was just far enough that it was worth it to drive to other places often especially for a rifle range. If theres a range with 50yd+ less than 15min from my house....I may be there quite often.....

Thomas - any word on the Niles ordinances? Will they still not be able to sell certain firearms there, but say would be able to bring them and or rent them there?

Somehow I didn't see this thread until now. This is amazing news, much closer to my house.

Maxon was just far enough that it was worth it to drive to other places often especially for a rifle range. If theres a range with 50yd+ less than 15min from my house....I may be there quite often.....

Thomas - any word on the Niles ordinances? Will they still not be able to sell certain firearms there, but say would be able to bring them and or rent them there?

The range will allegedly be the longest indoor range in Illinois. I forget the exact footage but 200yard comes to mind. Maybe it's 200 ft because 200 yd is 600' and that's a very long range for indoor. Though based on the footage of the building, is possible.

When I spoke to the trustee, he did not have a concrete answer and gave me typical politician spin which sounded like an answer but when you sit back and think about what was said, really lacked any substance LOL. In other words, he didn't know. But he did seem very optimistic it'll eventually pass, just that they aren't pushing it right now.

It's stated at the bottom of the article:

http://www.journal-topics.com/news/article_18225550-d036-11e5-b12f-a347b414f6fb.html?mode=jqm

Three ranges 4 x 75

Two pistol ranges

One lane will be a tactical lane for Leo, active shooter with pop up targets

One rifle range 4 x 200 eight bays

You posted while I was doing my detective work. In the online aerial map views the building looks to be the same length as the football field, counting end zones, at Niles West High School to the northeast. That makes the building about 150 - 160 yards long.

Yeah, back on post #15 we did the whole detective thing.

Back then they had it posted on the partial web site that was up.

But it's going to be second guessed until it actually opens, it's just what it is.

Not saying you in particular, just that some won't read an entire thread.......

A one hundred yard in door range would be assume. I'd guess people would be there aligning their firearms full time.

A nice "L" shaped building would accommodate such, I'll look around as I have no life and plenty of time to surf the warm waters of the interweb........:-)

• 1 month later...

As a 60 year resident I thank all who supported this range. I can practically walk there. Hopefully they have a resident discount !!! Kidding....but not really ! There used to be a few close ranges. Gabby Hartnett, Bells..now we are getting more choices again. Maxon has been my go to and I will continue to support them too.

Just a few years behind you, but I love maxons even when they were in the old place, but the new place is even better. I also love my AARP card too!

As a 60 year resident I thank all who supported this range. I can practically walk there. Hopefully they have a resident discount !!! Kidding....but not really ! There used to be a few close ranges. Gabby Hartnett, Bells..now we are getting more choices again. Maxon has been my go to and I will continue to support them too.

Just a few years behind you, but I love maxons even when they were in the old place, but the new place is even better. I also love my AARP card too!

I am sure that the left-wing anti-2A organization appreciates your support.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/4/10/does-the-aarp-still-want-your-guns/

While pretty far off-topic, AARP should indeed be shunned by any right-thinking American. It's a left-wing advocacy group that uses "seniors" as a marketing prop.

My ex was a gerontologist and despised AARP for both the con and the advocacy of many a thing she could not abide.

While pretty far off-topic, AARP should indeed be shunned by any right-thinking American. It's a left-wing advocacy group that uses "seniors" as a marketing prop.

My ex was a gerontologist and despised AARP for both the con and the advocacy of many a thing she could not abide.

I remember sending a letter t the heard of AARP inquiring about their Second Amendment stance when they first started to try to sign me up. I literally got a book mailed back on why NO SENIOR should ever own a gun.

AARP is rabidly anti-gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to refresh the thread. Any news on the range in Niles, IL.

Nothing. Last month I ran into someone on Reddit who claimed to be a friend of the owner and that they were still on track.

I sent a message today to them but don't hold much hope, all social media seems to be quiet for at least 2 months. I am guessing they hit a delay. I will drive by the site after work see what I can see.

I drive by it at least once a week (both directions). Have not noticed any changes to the exterior for past 3 months at least. Have a lot of hopes for it, too. Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Is that cinder-block "arch" looking structure on the front of the building new? Drove by a couple of days ago and i don't remember seeing that before.

• 2 weeks later...

The fence has been removed from around the Gun Range building. Hopefully that means that work will begin again on the facility. This note is just a little change of pace from all the concerns out of Springfield.

It was up as of late last week so that is a good change of pace. Hopefully the fencing means most of the construction inside is done and they just need some windows and security stuff.

I know someone connected to the owner lawyer over on another forum and he has not heard a damn thing for a couple of months.

Archived