Is it correct that .22 caliber is exempt from Chicago & Cook mag capacity bans?

Ultralisk

Hi. I just purchased a Ruger 10/22 and I had some trouble ordering BX-25 magazines online. Some retailers won't let you order them at all period because of the 10 round magazine capacity restriction on Chicago for rifles, and some will let you place the order and then cancel it because you ordered a restricted item.

But, the thing is.... .22 caliber magazines should be exempt from any restrictions imposed on both Chicago and Cook county according to the law. I am just here to ask, am I correct on this or am I missing something?

I want to provide thanks to mauserme for first posting information on this

1 ) Chicago Municipal Code title 8:

Exemption

(Title 8 Chapter 8-20-010):

(2) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 15 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

2) Cook County Code of Ordinances:

Exemption

(Division 4 Section 54-211 (7):

Large-capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but shall not be construed to include the following:

(1) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds.
(2) A 22-caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(3) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Archived