Ultrasonic cleaner for Glock cleaning? What cleaning solutions, techniques, and no-gos?

ChicagoRonin70

I have a 2.5-liter TruSonik cleaner that works fantastically on jewelry and various other small metal objects, but I was thinking about starting to use it on my Glocks.

My questions are . . .

1: Do I need to disassemble my frames and slides completely, which I would prefer to avoid, or can I put the field-stripped pieces in the cleaner then blow them out with compressed air and subsequently relubricate with misting/spraying lubes?

2: Will the ultrasonic cleaning damage or harm the finish of the slide or, most importantly, the polymer frame? What to do to avoid that?

3: Any recommendations for ultrasonic cleaning solutions for firearms? I know what is out there, but I'd appreciate any real-life testimonials on what works well.

4: Any tips or tricks on using an ultrasonic bath cleaner on Glocks in particular and handguns in general to get the best results?

Have you used the Hornady cleaning solution? That is one that I've been looking at but, again, I was hoping to get some feedback from people on this board who use ultrasonic cleaners on Glocks specifically and have had good (or bad, in order to avoid the same mistakes) experiences and tips that I could use.

I have used the ultrasonic cleaner on a Glock and have not had any problems at all. I have only ever had one firearm damaged by the ultrasonic cleaner and unfortunately it was a custom gun but with a factory finish. Right now I am using the Hornady solution but I am not overly impressed. I have used the Lyman solution also. Nothing seems to clean quite the way I thought it would as far as the build up but where it is clean, it is squeaky clean. I also avoid putting anything with night sights in he ultrasonic just in case it would harm them.

Have you used the Hornady cleaning solution? That is one that I've been looking at but, again, I was hoping to get some feedback from people on this board who use ultrasonic cleaners on Glocks specifically and have had good (or bad, in order to avoid the same mistakes) experiences and tips that I could use.

I have not used it. I watched a video on it online and I remembered it when I read your thread. I would also like to know if this works well

Not Glock specific, but ultrasonic cleaners have come up for discussion before. I recall a particular type of SimpleGreen suggested as one was not good for aluminum.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=62836

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42439

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19157

Not Glock specific, but ultrasonic cleaners have come up for discussion before. I recall a particular type of SimpleGreen suggested as one was not good for aluminum.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=62836

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42439

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19157

That is some good information. Much appreciated!

I would like to find some Glock-specific information, though.

Yes I have used it on my Glocks. Field strip only at this point. I have not done a slide yet. When I do I plan on a complete disassembly.

Personally I want to know that all the internal parts are clean and DRY. I would hate find out down the road that I caused corrosion or rust to start.

That is good to hear.

One of my tactical security acquaintances just got back to me and told me that he uses MPro7 Gun Cleaner and water in the ultrasonic, blows out any water with either canned air or one of these, then quirts MPro7 LPX Gun Oil into the crevices and uses the air/blower to make sure it gets inside everywhere. He even does slides that way, and only field strips them.

I might try a combination of the Pro Simple Green and the MPro7 and blower method.

I really should get more proficient with my complete disassembly of Glocks, though. i can still do an M1911, M16, M249, M60, and M24 from military armorer training 25+ years ago, down to the individual components, but I haven't done Glocks more than a few times. Probably should rectify that.

I have been using the Hornady cleaning solution mixed as per directions and it doe a good job. Brownells makes an ultrasonic cleaning solution that is better. I rise the firearm off with HOT water and blow out with compressed air. I just lube the items necessary and not the entire slide and grip frame. I've not had a problem doing polymer pistols at all, no color change or staining. My Steyr pistols get the same treatment, not a problem. If it slides- grease it, if it rotates on a pivot - oil it ! Been doing this 5 years with the ultrasound and not a problem yet. Try and get an ultrasonic with a heater, it enhances the cleaning.

Hope this helps.

I have been using the Hornady cleaning solution mixed as per directions and it doe a good job. Brownells makes an ultrasonic cleaning solution that is better. I rise the firearm off with HOT water and blow out with compressed air. I just lube the items necessary and not the entire slide and grip frame. I've not had a problem doing polymer pistols at all, no color change or staining. My Steyr pistols get the same treatment, not a problem. If it slides- grease it, if it rotates on a pivot - oil it ! Been doing this 5 years with the ultrasound and not a problem yet. Try and get an ultrasonic with a heater, it enhances the cleaning.

Hope this helps.

That is good to know. Mine has a heater in it, so I'm definitely in agreement with that. Thanks!

Completely disassembly of a Glock is so easy that is seems silly to mess with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Take it apart, scrub on it with a toothbrush and some Dawn or similar, lube the appropriate spots and reassemble.

Yeah, I know I need to bone up on my Glock assembly and disassembly proficiency. For quite a while, the only Glock I had was my EDC, so I didn't want to potentially screw it up and be stuck only with a backup firearm as my carry until I had a gunsmith correct my mistake. However, I will soon have several exact or near exact variations of the same model (29/30SF), so I can practice on one of them and carry one of the others in the meantime.

Still, the ultrasonic cleaner is something that seems to have very good effect when a full breakdown cleaning is not a viable option, so it's nice to have that option. Plus, when I do get my proficiency for Glocksmantling down, I can just sonic everything in individual pieces and have super-clean firearms to put back in the safe!

Archived