Instructors approved!

John Q Public

Everyone under 10K shut it, you aren't real 2A supporters.

Can we all agree that join date, post count, and junk size doesn't matter?

The man that still has the high post count, 'ol Coach passed over a year ago but his spirit drives many if us still

As to join date, mine is well before Molly Bs but her drive and endless dedication cannot be matched by anyone no matter when they joined. We all owe her a huge debt of gratitude.

Do you supply the beer for the basic beer drinking course?

LMAO! Seriously, spit out some coffee!

LOL, I joined in 2009, lurked for at least a year or more prior to joining, and spend nearly all of my free time on this forum. It is the first thing I do when I get up in the morning, I am reading it on my phone when away from my computer, and its the last thing I look at before I go to bed! All that, and I still haven't reached 200 posts! In fact, Tyguy joined at about the same time as me, and now has over 10,000 posts! I only have 200 because I have been so busy reading his that I have no time to post! :phone:

I also joined in '09, right after IGOLD. Did not start posting /reading daily until this year though. It does surprise me a little though at how many with '13 join dates are instructor applicants looking to fill classes... I am not saying that in a negative way. I know pdpsc personally, he is a great guy, a great instructor, and has a '3 join date... I would not hesitate to take a class or refer someone to him for a class. Just goes to backup the "join date doesn't matter" argument.

I would say your safe to hold courses if your name is on the list why would they put your name on a list if you couldn't teach it

You are still no reading/following the directions? And I thought what they say about Missourians was just an old wives' tale...

Bob,

It seems like you don't think it through. Read the top of the ISP approved instructors page. If I was a citizen looking for training I would take it these guys are approved to teach a course. Why would the ISP put your name on a list if you wasn't approved, and that means your curriculum you plan on using. I would say your name would not be on the list if you weren't approved to teach YOUR curriculum you indicated you would teach. How can they approve a curriculum if they don't see it. They are taking your word your curriculum follow theirs requirements. Again if you can give me another way to look at then please, but you as along with anyone else on this forum doesn't have a clue how the ISP is doing this or interpreting it. You can't even call them to ask them if you can start teaching, to me that is crazy. I would say if you are approved you should be provide a contact number to them. Again the way I read it those seven should already be having a class this weekend. The only one on here that has some kind of clue or way to contact them is Todd.

Bob,

It seems like you don't think it through. Read the top of the ISP approved instructors page. If I was a citizen looking for training I would take it these guys are approved to teach a course. Why would the ISP put your name on a list if you wasn't approved, and that means your curriculum you plan on using. I would say your name would not be on the list if you weren't approved to teach YOUR curriculum you indicated you would teach. How can they approve a curriculum if they don't see it. They are taking your word your curriculum follow theirs requirements. Again if you can give me another way to look at then please, but you as along with anyone else on this forum doesn't have a clue how the ISP is doing this or interpreting it. You can't even call them to ask them if you can start teaching, to me that is crazy. I would say if you are approved you should be provide a contact number to them. Again the way I read it those seven should already be having a class this weekend. The only one on here that has some kind of clue or way to contact them is Todd.

LOL :ike:

No offense, but I'm going to give my money to someone that I know has been actively involved in getting us carry in this state. (hint: their join date was before 2013)

So if you supported the NRA and ISRA financially, but IllinoisCarry never came across your radar until 2013, but when it did, you started supporting IllinoisCarry, you must be a Johnny-come-lately to gun rights/concealed carry?

You had the chance to meet me face to face a week ago at a PPOTH class. I certainly don't feel any need to justify myself to you or anyone else....living in Evanston, I was involved with the aftermath of Heller and have been involved in numerous issues over the last thirty years.....each of us has skills and interests in different specific areas...and I don't think any one here is so holier than thou that they have the right to pass judgment on another persons activities....I spend most of my week dealing with TROLLS.....I don't need another one here.

The notion that support of gun rights is limited to support of Illinois Carry is a rather myopic view of the world.

what you mean getting arrested (and not charged BTW) fighting for open carry in Mi might be pro 2a as well? Or going to buybacks and protesting. Getting cops on video forcing entire departments into forced education on what 2a rights are and why their actions are unconstitutional.

Were winning in.Mi. was time for a new fight. I'm just counting days until I get arrested again. It will happen soon enough.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

According to Maxxcapp, it should be today... :ermm:

To further take this off topic...

When we passed "shall issue" in Iowa it was just a short time before we were inundated with instructors. Some people were very critical of some of the out of state instructors coming here. I think we actually had more new in-state instructors pop up than out of state ones. Many of those had never heard of our organization or we never heard a peep from them when working to pass legislation. Everyone has to start somewhere but some of them had never taught a class or run a range.

Illinois is going to soon be overwhelmed with class offerings and IMHO that is a good thing. There will be classes to satisfy many different philosophical approaches. I encourage everyone that wants a permit to take a class and apply. Don't judge a instructor or a class on just one or two variables. Do some research and check out qualifications and "resumes". In the same sense a person with a teaching background might be able to to step in and be a very good firearms instructor. I have also sat through classes of guys with impressive backgrounds but their teaching styles just weren't "student friendly".

I a friends with a Instructor from Minnesota, he was a integral part of the NRA and worked very hard to get our new law. He came down and gave classes here in Iowa and was very open about letting people sit in to audit his courses. I found him to be one of the best instructors I have ever seen.

Congratulations to all the newly certified instructors in Illinois.

You will indicate the curriculum the student completed on the paperwork you do at the end of the class. I don't recall the name right now, but the emergency rules document mentions it.

I see Dan on the list... whens the class? lol

The instructors on the list are approved, so they can teach. But what will they teach, one of the approved curricula?

Since the ISP is taking at face value the instructors affidavit that his curriculum is compliant, and they did submit one then they should be good to go. I am waiting for CLIC so until It is approved I will wait whether I appear on the list or not.

Ill have another look at that thanks bob. Also did you guys make a copy of your NRA instructor cards and mail that off along with your actual NRA certificate? I was wondering because the card has your expiration date while the certificate does not.

I made a copy of the card and the certificates.

I just sent a copy of my card. It has all the info as opposed to the pretty wall hanger certificate. I hand wrote on the blank space on the card my certification date.

ISP needs to update their website because according to them there are no approved instructors:

Where can citizens obtain firearms training?

On September 7, 2013, the ISP will begin approval of certified firearms instructors and firearm training courses. A registry of approved instructors and courses will be available on the ISP webpage. There are currently no approved instructors or courses.

Some instructors may be new to this board but not "new" at all.

I did a stint in the '90s in the Peoria area with basic pistol, basic rifle and basic shotgun creds. But when I moved to the Chicago area, all my own shooting was either upland birds or clay birds. So, I let the certs lapse.

Long story short, years later I moved to Southern Illinois and got active again. Went life or better in NRA, ISRA, GOA, 2AF, JPFO and am an annual media member of NSSF.

In the last few years I've picked up the following (yep, had to retake any previous training), instructor certs and have done some instruction and RSO work: Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PPiH, PPoH and CRSO. RTBAV instructor course is later this month. I also picked up my NRA Coach Level 1 (shotgun) cert and renewed my Red Cross first aid/AED/CPR cetificiation.

I don't pretend to be anything special as an instructor and in fact prefer working for some very professsional, more experienced instructors.

I agree with one of the posters above: a lot of instructors will pop up and their will no shortage of course offerings. I also agree that's good and believe the market, especially once it calms, will sort itself out.

Ill have another look at that thanks bob. Also did you guys make a copy of your NRA instructor cards and mail that off along with your actual NRA certificate? I was wondering because the card has your expiration date while the certificate does not.

I made a copy of the card and the certificates.

I sent Pistol/PPITH Cert, RSO Cert, and the card that lists all 3...

The instructors on the list are approved, so they can teach. But what will they teach, one of the approved curricula?

Since the ISP is taking at face value the instructors affidavit that his curriculum is compliant, and they did submit one then they should be good to go. I am waiting for CLIC so until It is approved I will wait whether I appear on the list or not.

That may be logical, but not the way I see it... Instructors, like pdpsc, have to wait until the ISP lists his class as "approved" before he can teach it.

BTW, how do you know that all the approved instructors submitted curriculum approval apps?

That may be logical, but not the way I see it... Instructors, like pdpsc, have to wait until the ISP lists his class as "approved" before he can teach it.

BTW, how do you know that all the approved instructors submitted curriculum approval apps?

That is a good question, how can you be certified instructor if they haven't completed the application for course certification? In that case, you aren't certified to teach anything so it makes no sense to be approved without coursework cert or a curriculum sheet signed.

They are certifying curriculum and instructors separately. An approved instructor must teach an approved curriculum.

For example, once I an approved and pdpsc's curriculum I'd approved, I can teach his curriculum (with his permission) even though I have not submitted a curriculum approval form.

They are certifying curriculum and instructors separately. An approved instructor must teach an approved curriculum.

For example, once I an approved and pdpsc's curriculum I'd approved, I can teach his curriculum (with his permission) even though I have not submitted a curriculum approval form.

For 1 billllllion dollars...and sharks with frickin laser beams.

Sold!

Archived