• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 steveTA1983

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

About time

http://www.smobserve...-seat/3517.html

Senator John McCain will resign his US Senate seat on July 4, 2018, says an aide who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to speak to the press.
"In the end, it was about Kennedy resigning from the Supreme Court," said the aide. "Confirming a (SCOTUS) replacement before the election is considered in the interest of the national Republican party, so that it doesn't become an issue for Dems to run on in every race," said the aide, meaning every race for Senate or Congress.

The Aide indicated that the Senator wanted to wait until June 1 to resign, so that his seat would not be on the ballot along with retiring Jeff Flake. Republican Gov. Doug Ducey will appoint a Senator to serve until the 2020 election.
The aide said that Ducey has quietly offered McCain's seat to Cindy, but the 64 year old wife of Senator John McCain has made no decision as of yet. "Understandably, she doesn't want to think about it," he added.
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) was disgnosed with a brain tumor in July, 2017. The 81-year-old symbol of "never-Trump" Republicans, has not been seen in the US Capitol since December.
"If McCain leaves office before May 30, the Post indicated, his Senate seat will be on the ballot in Arizona in November 2018, as will that of his retiring junior colleague, Republican Sen. Jeff Flake. After May 30, the new senator - who would be appointed by Republican Gov. Doug Ducey - would serve through 2020."

#2 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:18 PM

Thank you for your service. Now get out.
Have all boated who fish?

#3 Windermere

Bacon Junkie

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:30 PM

about damn time
"Always remember, your ability to shoot and have a firearm makes it so that you are not subjected to the whims of other people without your permission. So, in other words, if you don't want to get raped, robbed, pillaged, or plundered... get a gun."
-Clint Smith

#4 SiliconSorcerer

• 2,366 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:40 PM

mom says if you can't say anything good... 

" " 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#5 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Members
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

This is a good thing.

I thank him for his many years of service to our country - minus those where his judgement was impaired.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#6 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Members
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

I looked around and that is the only place I’ve seen it reported.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#7 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

Thank you for your service and best wishes to you good bye

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#8 Elderberry

• Members
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:33 PM

I’m not a fan but waiting until now preserved a senate seat until the 2020 election, benefiting the party and (I believe) the country. In his current situation I would imagine he would have preferred doing this a lot sooner...

I'll put something clever and witty here when I think of something.........

NRA, ISRA, SAF... Vet.. Former LEO... Current Illinois Concealed Carry Permit Holder....

#9 45Badger

• 1,825 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

Stay classy.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9mm = 45ACP set on "stun"
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!

.45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

“The most dangerous risk of all – The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later”

#10 steveTA1983

• 1,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

I voted for McCain in 08, but he has turned into a REAL BIG DIRTBAG. F-him

https://www.washingt...weapons-destro/

A new report from Judicial Watch reveals a concerted effort from Sen. John McCain’s office to urge the IRS under Lois Lerner to strike out against political advocacy groups, including tea party organizations.

Thanks to the results of an extensive Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request that has been delayed for many years, Judicial Watch has obtained several key emails from 2013 that chronicle McCain’s and Democrat Sen. Carl Levin’s efforts to reign in the advocacy groups that sprouted immediately following the Citizens United decision from the Supreme Court.

The documents uncovered by Judicial Watch include notes from a high-level meeting on April 30, 2013 between powerful members of McCain’s and Levin’s staffs and Lerner, then-director of tax exempt organizations at the IRS under Barack Obama. The notes reveal the suggestions from McCain’s former staff director and chief counsel on the Senate Homeland Security Permanent Subcommittee, Henry Kerner who urges Lerner to use IRS audits on the advocacy groups to financially ruin them:

#11 ragsbo

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:30 PM

I will believe it when I actually see it. He should have resigned years ago. I don't have any respect for Songbird and am trying to feel sorry that he is dying of cancer (but that is real hard).

#12 soundguy

• 5,288 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

Unless you songbird fans have some new proof... I believe the songbird claim has been proven to be entirely false. You should probably feel a bit of shame for perpetuating such nonsense.

You malign a good man who served our country for most of his life while you support Private Bone Spurs. Really?

Edited by soundguy, 01 July 2018 - 09:01 PM.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#13 steveTA1983

• 1,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

Unless you songbird fans have some new proof... I believe the songbird claim has been proven to be entirely false. You should probably feel a bit of shame for perpetuating such nonsense.
You malign a good man who served our country for most of his life while you support Private Bone Spurs. Really?

Songbird may have started out good, but he “helped” us (big time) get involved with ISIS and Syria, and since 2013 has been a 100% complete RINO. Open your eyes man (not saying thatvin a combative way at all)

7LpA3aw.jpg
XJ9dcun.jpg
HTCC54r.jpg

#14 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

I’m not a fan but waiting until now preserved a senate seat until the 2020 election, benefiting the party and (I believe) the country. In his current situation I would imagine he would have preferred doing this a lot sooner...

Good point.

#15 steveTA1983

• 1,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

Good point.

Actually, it is. +1.

#16 chislinger

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:05 PM

Oh dear God don't offer the seat to his wife! Appoint a genuine Republican because we really need a reliable vote.
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#17 Mack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:34 PM

The governor is a Rhino and big McCain supporter, so I am sure he will appoint whoever McCain wants. Since he's dying and can't take the senate seat with him I  suppose he wants to keep "his" seat in the family. McCain voted against ending Obama care and has steadfastly aided the democrats all he can for years, including playing a role in spygate and pushing the fake dossier from the Clinton campaign as legitimate material in an attempt to undermine the elected president, which seems to be his major focus since the election. Sad to say but as bad as it was, we probably were better off with Obama than McCain, with Obama the republicans all stood together against gun control, with as McCain president I don't doubt he would have supported more gun control and pealed off enough republicans in the house and senate to pass it. 

Edited by Mack, 01 July 2018 - 11:35 PM.

#18 2A4Cook

Old and Cranky

• Members
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:34 AM

About freaking time. All hail "democracy!" His hypocritical final act is to keep his seat long enough to prevent the People of Arizona from choosing his successor, knowing full damned well they wouldn't want another D running as an R simply to get elected.

If his wife gets appointed, people need to starty speaking out, FGS! Didn't we fight a revolution in order to get out of the yoke of an hereditary aristocracy???

#19 cls74

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

Only found one other mention of this, and it referred to the same link in OP and questioned the legitimacy of both the story and the source.

If it's too good to be true.....

#20 2A4Cook

Old and Cranky

• Members
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:41 AM

A "good man" who votes opposite the wishes of his constituency, lies to them in order to get elected, then can't do his job and leaves them unrepresented so that he can deprive them of the right to choose his successor and dictate that "choice" upon them? Having served in the military does not confer saint status upon someone; millions have served. By and large likely good people, but with a large proportion of scum among them, as among the population at large. You going to defend Duckworth next?

#21 soundguy

• 5,288 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

Re McCain... There is much any R or D could not like him for. Perpetuating the “songbird” lie is simply wrong.
Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#22 Dog1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

Find it odd that no other news outlet has reported this. A quick search for Santa Monica Observer suggest that it is not a creditable news organization. Hope I am wrong, his constituents deserve to be represented in congress.

#23 steveTA1983

• 1,593 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Find it odd that no other news outlet has reported this. A quick search for Santa Monica Observer suggest that it is not a creditable news organization. Hope I am wrong, his constituents deserve to be represented in congress.

I haven’t seen it anywhere else either. Guess we’ll see in a few days.....

#24 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

Only thing I could find is that he said he'd retire after his current term.

#25 JTHunter

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

Glad to hear this.  Can't happen soon enough !

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#26 cls74

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

At this point, given it is 2 days away and no main media outlet or any others have picked it up, gotta dub it fake news.

This would be major news considering the implications of Mccains' vote on the Obama care repeal and his unwillingness to work with the Trump administration on a variety of issues. The left would have a mini meltdown if they felt they might lose another swing vote in the Senate. Wouldn't be a Kennedy meltdown, but would still make some big headlines.

#27 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

There would have been a tweet from POTUS by now if true.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#28 fxdpntc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

He wants to keep his seat long enough to vote against Trumps S.C. nominee. Only half kidding. I wouldnt bet ten cents against that happening.

NRA Life Member

ISRA Life Member

USPSA Life Member

USMC 68-69

#29 BobPistol

• Members
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

So that's why we're getting all those fireworks :) 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#30 Rangerdeepv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:46 PM

Thank for your military service Mr. McCain...................

Your service in the Senate................................at times it is best to keep one's big trap shut............now is one of those times!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users