2019 Walther PPK?

Euler

Walther PPK

At SHOT Show this year, Walther announced that it was going to start making PPKs again, not under license like S&W or Interarms. I saw articles that said they were going to start shipping by the end of January. I saw articles by people who said they saw and/or tried them out at SHOT Show.

I've seen nothing since. No one has reviewed them, other than the reviews from SHOT Show. The usual online stores I visit haven't had them in stock (although some are accepting pre-orders). I haven't seen any posts (here or elsewhere) by people wondering where they were. I haven't seen any info possibly explaining why they haven't shipped.

If I download the PPK manual from Walther's site, it's the S&W manual from 2012.

The PPK (not PPK/S) is 0.2 inches taller than an LCP with a barrel about 0.5 inches longer than an LCP. So it's competitive for size with an LCP, but it's aluminum framed and DA/SA with a decocker and spurred hammer. People have disparaged the Interarms and S&W triggers, but supposedly the "new" (2019) trigger is nice. Anyway, I'm interested.

Has anyone in their travels around the Internet seen why these things are still vaporware?

The new PPK and PPK/S are made by Walther Arms Inc. in Arkansas under license from Umarex, the parent company of Walther in Germany. The .22lr PPK/S is made in Germany by Umarex. Walther Arms Inc. experienced a lengthy delay in actually releasing the US made pistols to their distributors due to a licensing dispute with Umarex.

https://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/ppk/ppk/

Bud's has one in .380 and a couple more in .22lr (all PPK/S)

The .380 has the right part number for the 2019 model. The 2019 models are all .380. Bummer that it's the PPK/S, though. Also the 22LRs melt below 800° F, because they're ZAMAK.

The new PPK and PPK/S are made by Walther Arms Inc. in Arkansas under license from Umarex, the parent company of Walther in Germany. The .22lr PPK/S is made in Germany by Umarex. Walther Arms Inc. experienced a lengthy delay in actually releasing the US made pistols to their distributors due to a licensing dispute with Umarex.

I don't see anything on the product page that mentions any licensing difficulties, but that would explain a delay. Is there a URL for a reference? Have I missed something on the product page?

Bud's has one in .380 and a couple more in .22lr (all PPK/S)

The .380 has the right part number for the 2019 model. The 2019 models are all .380. Bummer that it's the PPK/S, though. Also the 22LRs melt below 800° F, because they're ZAMAK.

I don't see anything on the product page that mentions any licensing difficulties, but that would explain a delay. Is there a URL for a reference? Have I missed something on the product page?

It wouldn't be on their website for obvious reasons. But it was discussed ad-nauseum on the Walther Forum and, if i remember correctly, the info came from a Walther employee. Here's a link to one of the threads: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/79297-new-ppk-s-380-walther.htmlthere will be additional links within that thread.

It wouldn't be on their website for obvious reasons. But it was discussed ad-nauseum on the Walther Forum and, if i remember correctly, the info came from a Walther employee. Here's a link to one of the threads: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/79297-new-ppk-s-380-walther.htmlthere will be additional links within that thread.

That thread's latest post is from 2017. There are some threads on the Walther forum in which people said they found some supposedly new PPK/Ss at their LGS, but no one has said they found a PPK. The original hype thread is Fort Smith PPK Ships in December!!!!!!!!!!, but as of April it seems Walther is still "ramping up." It must be a really shallow ramp.

What is it with the Germans and Zamak? ...

The 22LR PPKs are ZAMAK. The 380ACP PPKs are blued steel or stainless.

Then .380 it is. There's nothing like the feel of cheap Zamak.

I don't even think they are legal in certain states.

They melt like solder in a campfire.

IL has a melting point law. Bills have been filed to change but they have not been heard. It doesnt seem widely enforced with those firearms being available at some dealers while others refuse to order or ship.

... The guy told me that the German version of ATF is dragging it's feet on granting the Parent company permission to supply the slides and allow US production of the lowers under licensing. ...

So I did a little digging and came up with this TFB post from 2013, which is actually about HK, but it says:

... First of all, German export laws are just as if not more complex than our import laws. You see, the German government effectively owns the patents and export rights of all firearms made in Germany ...

I got this information from an employee at The Craft (the outfit that employed Chris Kyle before his passing) ...

So it's not directly on point, because it's HK and it's 6 years old, but it's close enough to make it credible. It makes me wonder if there's a warehouse somewhere full of PPK frames waiting for PPK slides to ship from Germany. When supply chain management attacks ....

• 3 months later...

Archived