Prohibited Carry Zones - 23 Categories

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#31 Ricky Two Guns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Someone needs to make an legalize-to-English translation of these.

I guess Post Offices are prohibited by #3? How are we supposed to know what’s controlled by the legislative or executive branch?

They call that "test cases" then we have tested the legal language. Cook County is probably has a sign up sheet LOL
"SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS"
"Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum"

#32 Glock23

I am no one.

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

What about a Rest Area along one of the Illinois interstates? I have read you cannot but I don't see anything in the law that prohibits that. Late at night, I'd like to carry in some isolated rest stop.

Most rest areas are managed (owned) by the State. Therefore, the buildings would be prohibited areas.

If they are posted.

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#33 Indigo

Just another silver-haired devil

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

So in other words, we can have it in our cars, to our friends house, and back to our house...lol

I carried all over Springfield March 4-6th - all the restaurants, gas stations, shopping. Yes, the list is extensive and burdensome but let's not mislead folks into thinking they cannot carry anywhere. Keep in mind the moms and dads in urban areas can now carry while taking their kids to and from school, passing through dangerous gang territory. People all over the state can carry all day long without finding themselves in a no carry zone.

But we will keep in mind and keep warning everyone that "gun-free zones are killing zones".

This gives a new meaning to Mayor Emanuel's "Safe Passage Zones".
  • They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it’s not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance

#34 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,430 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

This gives a new meaning to Mayor Emanuel's "Safe Passage Zones".

I love this.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#35 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,659 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

I guess Post Offices are prohibited by #3? How are we supposed to know what’s controlled by the legislative or executive branch?

Post Offices are prohibited by rule #23, federal building. They will have the federal version of the GFZ sign posted somewhere inside. There are ongoing attempts to get this changed at the federal level, and some will argue that the federal law actually allows licensed carry inside. The actual law contains wording to the effect of an exception for those on "official business", or "lawful business" or something similar.

I looked it up. Says "lawful purposes". Still considered illegal to carry there.
T
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#36 tab

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

I've carried everyday in Chicago for almost two weeks now. I've been presently surprised that I've only had to disarm once and that was to enter my sons high school which was NOT posted (yet).

I've transported legally on CTA trains and buses. While technically disarming, it's still within reach if required.

All in all not too bad so far. Just my two cents.

An unloaded firearm is still a firearm and firearms are prohibited. I hope your not the test case on this one.

#37 tab

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Edited by tab, 27 March 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#38 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

The ISP conforming signs are not a blanket ban on firearms.

#39 MrManH

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Don't movie theaters fall under #15, entertainment venue?

#40 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

No, unless it's under the control of a college.

(15) Any building, classroom, laboratory, medical clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, whether owned or leased, and any real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, and common areas under the control of a public or private community college, college, or university.

Edited by TyGuy, 28 March 2014 - 01:42 PM.

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#41 MrManH

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Ah thanks!

Still too many places that I pay with my taxes where I am denied my rights.

#42 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

No problem.  Eventually you'll re-read Section 65 enough times to maybe understand 42% of it.

Stay safe.

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#43 semper1911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

I have carried (except at work) for about a month and the only time I came to a zone was gonig in my bank.  Keep in mind if you look at the zones the whole purpose to to keep "possible" confrontation, which you should avoid anyway, from happening. 

#44 mbrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

No problem.  Eventually you'll re-read Section 65 enough times to maybe understand 42% of it.

Stay safe.

42% of the time, it works every time.

#45 MrManH

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

I can't carry 5 days of the week unless I drive to work. This GFZ needs to be nullified ASAP, the CTA is a tax black hole that happens to be unreliable, dirty and unsafe and requires me to leave my gun at home. I'm fully aware of getting around that with transport laws but how cumbersome is that:

-leave  home with gun holstered

-walk 5 minutes to train stop

-secretly switch to transport mode, somehow

-ride train for 45 minutes

-Exit train and secretly reholster

-Walk for 5 minutes to my building's bathroom and secure gun for the day in suitcase

My building isn't posted but my company issued a memo prohibiting conceal carry which is fine, I'll respect that even if it doesn't have the force of law, I can have it within arms reach in a suitcase on my desk and no one has to know about it. However the fact that I can't carry on public transportation is why I don't bother with carrying daily, too much juggling around to stay legal.

#46 CGT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

I work for a company that has a policy of termination on the spot if a weapon is found in your vehicle. So I can't carry and I drive through e. St. Louis each day... so does the law allow me to store my weapon on my companies parking lot and store in car? Is that a violation.

#47 mbrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

I'm in a similar situation.

Holster at home

Drive 10 min to Metra Station: Switch to transport

Ride Metra to CUS: stay in Transport because it is GFZ

Walk out of CUS to my building across the river: stay in transport mode, my building is posted

Work has a no firearms policy while working: so I guess I would have to keep it hidden and don't get caught or lose job.

So for me my only real choices M-F are: 

Holster to Metra Station: Store in locked vehicle

Pray all day long that car is untouched: I've had it vandalized to have my gas siphoned out before

Get back to vehicle and reholster and drive home.

or leave it at home 5 days a week.

#48 mbrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

I work for a company that has a policy of termination on the spot if a weapon is found in your vehicle. So I can't carry and I drive through e. St. Louis each day... so does the law allow me to store my weapon on my companies parking lot and store in car? Is that a violation.

You can't be arrested for storing in your car against company policy but you can be fired for it.

But why and how would anyone know you placed a gun in your vehicle?  I wouldn't be announcing it for fear of theft never mind getting fired.

ETA:  Unless you work in a location defined under 430 ILCS 66/65 (a)(22) or (23) - Nuclear or Federally prohibited - as mentioned in 66/65 ( b )

Edited by mbrich, 28 March 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#49 MrManH

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

I wonder how long and what it's going to take to shorten that GFZ list. If I ever get attacked on public transportation or in a park, my lawyer will have a field day.

#50 mbrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I wonder how long and what it's going to take to shorten that GFZ list. If I ever get attacked on public transportation or in a park, my lawyer will have a field day.

I would like to not visit you in a hospital (mostly because it would mean you got hurt, but also because I can't carry there).

Molly, Todd, and others are working diligently.  It won't happen over night, but I'm pretty sure they will relax in the future. In the mean time, stick to pepper spray and a pocket knife.

#51 MrManH

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Haha thanks for the kind words. I've survived 22 years so far without really getting into any fights. However these aren't things that you can plan in advance and even despite being street smart and not looking like an easy prey, if I ever find myself in a situation where my gun could have been useful instead of sitting under my desk, the state will hear from me and my lawyer.

#52 gspgundog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

I dont know I have been carrying in the sw burbs and southside of Chiraq for about three weeks and only ran into two signs, one of which came down within a week of them being carded by myself and a few other freedom loving people.   Heck my work even changed it's policy concerning guns in the parking lot from instant termination to no problem as long as you stay within the law.  I will admit I have changed my method of carrying to pocket carry on workdays because trying to slip holsters and mag carriers on and off a belt is a bit of a hassle.  

#53 vito

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Since the law says that the listed prohibited places will be posted, does that mean that until they get around to posting you can assume concealed carry is not prohibited? And while some of the wording is straightforward, like schools, hospitals, government buildings, some seem vague like "entertainment venue" and "artistic venue".

Retired U.S. Army

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

Proud member of the Deplorables

Refined Hydrocarbon Recycler 

#54 bob

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Since the law says that the listed prohibited places will be posted, does that mean that until they get around to posting you can assume concealed carry is not prohibited? And while some of the wording is straightforward, like schools, hospitals, government buildings, some seem vague like "entertainment venue" and "artistic venue".

The law says "A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into...".

In my opinion, that is what it means. 

It does not mean "A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into unless it is unloaded and encased" or "A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into unless the banned location did not bother to post a sign".

Until the courts say otherwise or the legislature changes the language, I have no desire to be the test case for the theory that because it is inconvenient for FCCL that the law's clear language does not mean what it says.

Edited by bob, 29 March 2014 - 01:52 PM.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#55 blueliner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

I have a question about numbers 9 and 11 as it applies to VFW and American Legion Halls.  We have posted at our VFW hall because we have a canteen (bar) and we clearly make more than 50% of our revenue from alcohol sales (#9) and we have a rental hall which has a seperate liquor license for when we rent the Hall (#11).  Do we have to post since we are not open to the public, but are technically a private "members only" club?  Does #11 apply to our rental hall?  And most importantly, can the owner of an establishment carry on his or her own business property even if it is a prohibited place?  So even if we have to post, can the members of the post (technically the owners) carry on the property if #9 does apply, but I am not sure it does since we are technically a private club. (our liquor license says specifically not open to the public)?

I know there is a bill in the House that is trying to make VFW and Legion Halls prohibited places, but I thought that under #9 and #11 we were already.  Am I wrong?

Edited by blueliner, 29 March 2014 - 02:05 PM.

Scott

U.S. Army Veteran
Member, NRA and ISRA
Certified NRA Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer
Certified Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor

#56 bob

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

As for the members being "technically the owners", I think that is doubtful in a legal sense. Among other things, it would make for an all but unworkable situation when a member passed on as his heirs tried to divvy up his share of the club assets.

You can't carry in the bar. It is a bar regardless of whether it is open to the public or not as the law does not specify whether or not it is open to the public and what the law actually says, is what it means.

As for #11, it specifies a particular license - "Special Event Retailer's license as defined in Section 1-3.17.1". If this is the license being issued to the club for serving liquor in the rental hall, that hall is also banned. If it is some other license than maybe not unless 50% of the proceeds come from liquor sales. I have been to several events at Legion and VFW halls. It would not surprise me at all if the 50% rule covered those events. There was a lot of booze flowing and the events featured food brought in and not sold by the club so other than the popcorn they were selling, 100% of the proceeds was from liquor sales.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#57 shikahgho

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

It's crazy you have the right to carry but you are restricted to carry in certain areas. This **** cray
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development... It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.
-Jeff Cooper

Supporting Member
NRA Life Member

#58 JackTripper

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

Am I right to think that pretty much the entire Chicago lakefront is off limits, since it is technically a park?

Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#59 DomG

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

Good luck suing the state government.
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges." - Tacitus"
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." -Tacitus

NRA Life Member
ISRA
USCCA
IL CCL
AZ CWP
VFW Life Member
USAF Retired (So I guess that makes me a Life Member)

#60 JackTripper

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Any one have any thoughts on lake front carry?

Edited by JackTripper, 16 April 2014 - 11:46 AM.

Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users