Soto v. Bushmaster - Court rules gun maker can be sued over Newtown shooting

barryware

Skinny - Glad to see you're back posting.
Happy to be back. My other project (helping bust public corruption) is winding down so there will be quite a bit of information (and hopefully major arrests) going public. Soon. And having a special needs child is...exhausting.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

You show up again just when the Mueller probe shuts down. Hmmmm.

Glad you hear from you again.

^ this ***

Skinny - Glad to see you're back posting.

Happy to be back. My other project (helping bust public corruption) is winding down so there will be quite a bit of information (and hopefully major arrests) going public. Soon. And having a special needs child is...exhausting.

Helping Busting Public Corruption is winding down? How is that possible in this frigging State? In my admittedly novice option, I'd guess it would take a couple of thousand of highly skilled seasoned Untouchable agents a few of lifetimes, and this would still be be an uphill battle around these parts.

Great to see you back!!!

Soon. I don't control release. Only a few people have the entire picture and I only contributed to the "project." For a hint as to what's going on, look into the feds snooping around Luis Gutierrez'a house. Let me try to send a PM containing a jpg file (discovered during investigation) that will...well, draw your own conclusions, but it made my stomach turn (and not many things get to me). I won't post it here because it's so repulsive.

EDIT: Some reason I can't send PMs w/ Tapatalk

Soon. I don't control release. Only a few people have the entire picture and I only contributed to the "project." For a hint as to what's going on, look into the feds snooping around Luis Gutierrez'a house. Let me try to send a PM containing a jpg file (discovered during investigation) that will...well, draw your own conclusions, but it made my stomach turn (and not many things get to me). I won't post it here because it's so repulsive. EDIT: Some reason I can't send PMs w/ Tapatalk Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

If it's really that repulsive then it should be made public so the citizenry knows what has been going on.

Soon. I don't control release. Only a few people have the entire picture and I only contributed to the "project." For a hint as to what's going on, look into the feds snooping around Luis Gutierrez'a house. Let me try to send a PM containing a jpg file (discovered during investigation) that will...well, draw your own conclusions, but it made my stomach turn (and not many things get to me). I won't post it here because it's so repulsive. EDIT: Some reason I can't send PMs w/ Tapatalk Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I'd happily PM you an e-mail address to see what might be lurking in Guti-Gute's compost heap.

(I call him Guti-Gute because we's like that, me and ol' Guti-Gute.)

• 4 months later...

The case is Soto v. Bushmaster.

Reuters via Yahoo!

The maker of the assault-style rifle used in the 2012 mass shooting at a Newton, Connecticut, school asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday to overturn a court ruling that allowed families of the victims to sue the company over its marketing practices.

The gun maker argued that the lawsuit should never have been allowed to proceed because a 2005 federal law, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, shields gun manufacturers in most cases from liability when the firearms they produce are used in crimes.

The filing was long expected. Josh Koskoff, a lawyer for the family members, said Remington's filing made no new or unexpected arguments.

A lower-court judge in 2016 dismissed the case. In a 4-3 decision, the Connecticut Supreme Court said while most of the lawsuit's claims could not proceed, Remington could still be sued over its marketing under Connecticut law.

Does any manufacturer need to advertise the AR-15? I've only bought stripped lowers and built my rifles, but I've never seen an advertisement for them. Word of mouth via internet forums have been my go to source. Sent from my SM-N960U using TapatalkDaniel Defense advertises regularly.
I said "need to advertise", not choose to advertise.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DD doesn't NEED to advertise but it's protected speech and corporations are people and all of that. If they have a problem with that then they need to overturn Santa Clara v. Southern Pacific, 118 U.S. 394 (1886). First case that touches on corporations being protected under the 14A but several other decisions going back to post-Revolution Virginia. So that's an issue of stare decisis, not precedent.

DD doesn't NEED to advertise but it's protected speech and corporations are people and all of that. If they have a problem with that then they need to overturn Santa Clara v. Southern Pacific, 118 U.S. 394 (1886). First case that touches on corporations being protected under the 14A but several other decisions going back to post-Revolution Virginia. So that's an issue of stare decisis, not precedent.

Why aren't you on the legal team? I think you should be a SCOTUS Justice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd need a law degree first. Since that will never happen, well, shrug haha. Besides I don't have the patience or attention span to deal with administrative law cases. Mind-numbingly boring, which is probably how we ended up with Auer and Chevron deference in the first place.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just thinking the same thing. So can automakers be sued for the damages a drunk drive does? This opens the doors to sue a company for misuse of any item. It's unbelievable they will do anything but blame the individual

Environmentalist groups should be suing every automaker that isn't 100% electric. For that matter even the electric ones are sending chemicals into the ozone during production.

"The commercials show...." is the ENTIRE case. That's it. Since when did an ad in a magazine for a rifle make a REASONABLE person get a rifle then use it to shoot up a school?

Wouldn't the same logic apply to video games?

Archived