First Offender Probation will Foid be denied?

Back in 2005 I was 18 and made some poor choices. I was charged with burglary for taking beer from a garage fridge with some friends and ended up on chapter 20 probation like a first offender probation where once you complete everything all charges are dismissed. Anyways I successfully completed probation and went back to court with my attorney and the original judgement was vacated so for about 10 years now everything has shown that charges were dismissed. Since 2005 I have had nothing on my record besides some traffic violations. I'm curious if anyone has ever been through a probation similar to this and if you were able to obtain your foid card. I only applied about 2 weeks ago now and assume if I am denied I would have to appeal and file for a records update with my paperwork from the court house. Any help would be greatly appreciated especially if anyone has been through something similar or know of someone that was able to do so.

In my younger years I went through the court system for multiple violations for several different things. What can I say? I was a heck raiser. At one point I went through "court supervision" which sounds much the same as what you describe. If you complete it without any other violations then it comes off of your record after completion. After completion it never affected my future FOID card which I got years later. Of course, it's a different world now so your results will vary...

The best thing you can do would be to sit down with legal counsel and figure this out.

That's my advise..

In my younger years I went through the court system for multiple violations for several different things. What can I say? I was a heck raiser. At one point I went through "court supervision" which sounds much the same as what you describe. If you complete it without any other violations then it comes off of your record after completion. After completion it never affected my future FOID card which I got years later. Of course, it's a different world now so your results will vary...

The best thing you can do would be to sit down with legal counsel and figure this out.

That's my advise..

I also went thru supervision in 1974. It never affected my FOID but it was definitely still on my record and still is. Cook County couldnt find it for me to expunge before I applied for my CCL and it is so old it didnt affect my CCL either. But may I suggest to the OP right now is that you get that expunged if it as expungeable offense. Get it out of there now if you have any intentions of getting your CCL.

I was convicted of DUI even though I got supervision, did all of that, and the charges were "dismissed" (sealed record) but I still plead guilty which is a conviction. Truth here is that you are always convicted unless you are acquitted by a judge or jury, the charges are nol prossed, stricken w/out leave to reinstate, etc. My DUI is ALWAYS visible to law enforcement even though it was "dismissed" so was it really dismissed? Nope. Just sealed. And if I'm within the lookback (I'm not) and I get another DUI (I won't), that'd be my second. How could I get a second DUI if my first was "dismissed?"

I'd chalk up many outcomes here from the 70s and 80s and even 90s to just crap reporting to the state. IIRC at one point, something like 15 yrs ago, only like 4 of 102 circuit clerks were reporting mental health adjudications and admissions to the state. So many prohibited persons in Illinois were at least "eligible" to obtain a FOID, and some probably did. Same with criminal stuff. Last year my old lady's cousin got a reckless conviction and the SoS couldn't properly suspend his license (cop put the wrong date on the summary suspension form, didn't correct the defect) so he was driving on it the entire time and even had contact with LEOs who ran his DL, nothing happened and he completed his supervision a couple of months ago. So many things can go wrong...for the state.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk