Basic Defensive Pistol Class at TriggerFarm® Range

Johnlmiller

Next Weekend March 24th at 0900am until Noon, TriggerFarm® will be conducting a Basic Defensive Handgun Class.

Cost is $50.00 USD

Essential Equipment, A reputable handgun at least 3 magazines or more if you choose to use a handgun with lower capacity, magazine pouches and at least 350 rounds of ammo. Wear clothes that you don't mind getting a little dirt on and dress for the weather.

Topics of the class.

Review of safety and shooting fundamentals

Proper drawing from the holster and shooting techniques

Proper reloading techniques, speed vs, tactical

multiple shot engagements

Intro to shooting and moving

shooting from cover and concealment

shooting the challenge course.

This class was designed as a follow up to the concealed carry class and a great way to keep your skills sharp, only 10 students per class only 6 slots left. Call, email or visit the website for more info and to register for the class.

815-955-6094

triggerfarm@gmail.com

triggerfarm.com

So excited to find this. I'll hopefully be signing up for the April class if not the next month. I've really been looking for a proper class to take, been conceal carrying for a year now and all the other things I've found are hundreds of dollars and so infrequent they don't work around my schedule.

You'll have a good time in the Defensive Class. John and John ;) are excellent instructors. I've been taking the Defensive class the past couple of years and will be taking it again this year. It's a great way to keep up skills. I use it as a good refresher for every spring.

So excited to find this. I'll hopefully be signing up for the April class if not the next month. I've really been looking for a proper class to take, been conceal carrying for a year now and all the other things I've found are hundreds of dollars and so infrequent they don't work around my schedule.

You'll have a good time in the Defensive Class. John and John ;) are excellent instructors. I've been taking the Defensive class the past couple of years and will be taking it again this year. It's a great way to keep up skills. I use it as a good refresher for every spring.

For a 3 hour class, do you really shoot through 300+ rounds? Seems like a lot for 3 hours.

For a 3 hour class, do you really shoot through 300+ rounds? Seems like a lot for 3 hours.

Yes you will. Be sure to bring a good shooting gun. I took the class last summer and fall - had a great time. Planning on doing the advance class this year.

Yep. Lots of shooting. You'll love the last portion. I won't spoil the surprise.

I've taken the class twice and will be taking it again this spring. A good portion of the class is made up of various drills on paper followed by drills utilizing movement and various steel targets combined with a 9 hole. The last section run as a stage where two students can compete. The last challenge being a dueling tree.

This isn't for brand new shooters but for those who have at a minimum, a CCL.I've found it an excellent way to refresh my holster and draw skills. I see it as lots of guided practice with knowledgeable instructors. I didn't think 300 rounds in 3 hours was excessive, I honestly found it to be "Just Right" for me.

Sounds like a fun run and gun course. A typical NRA PPOTH course is 14 hours long and only requires less than 250 rounds of ammo for a skilled shooter. The NRA course is designed to develop muscle memory. One of my students took the time to count, although he only fired less than 250 rounds he came out of the holster over 600 times. Practice the skill you want to learn, if that`s run and gun, have at it.

• 1 month later...
Dont see a location...

I was looking at this class too and was really questioning the 300+ rounds in 3 hours. That does seem like a lot. I have to wonder about the benefits and what they're teaching that you shoot so many rounds in short time.

Bring 500 rounds. If your like me the vast majority of your shooting takes place at an indoor range shooting at paper under ideal conditions. God forbid you ever had to use our pistol; Under stress you will revert back to your training. Shooting and moving, shooting from cover, drawing than shooting must be repeated often to develop the muscle memory required to defend your self effectively. Take the class, bring extra ammo. then take the class again.........and again.

How “basic” is this course? Is this a course that my wife and children could take even without being concealed carry cardholders? My wife would love some sort of firearms training without her husband staring over her shoulder. Her chosen handgun is a Ruger Sr22.

They usually ask if anyone is a 'new' shooter. I would just shoot John an email and ask him. Their website says this is the next step up from their 16-hour concealed carry course. It is absolutely addictive! And the price is right.

• 1 month later...

Replied in another post about this place , watched the vid posted above. Looks like a good time. I'll start looking at dates & start to ask my pals about taking a class with me. I'm guessing a different kind of ammo will have to be purchased since all my range stuff is Steel cased stuff.

I'm definitely gonna look into going to one or two of these basic handgun classes before it's gets cold.

I'm guessing a different kind of ammo will have to be purchased since all my range stuff is Steel cased stuff.

Why?

most places ive been too frown upon steel case , I also don't know about FMJ & shooting steel so close. I have defensive stuff like gold dot & HST but I wouldn't want to waste that ammo since I already know it runs good in my 9mm handguns & it serves a different purpose. I'll just call & get everything clear up

I just talked to John this week about steel cased. He said it's fine. I bought 500 rounds of Winchester Brown Box, not realizing Winchester even made steel cased ammo. Didn't notice it till I got home and opened the first box. I emailed John and he said its fine. My Son and I will be shooting it on Saturday in the AM class.

I just talked to John this week about steel cased. He said it's fine. I bought 500 rounds of Winchester Brown Box, not realizing Winchester even made steel cased ammo. Didn't notice it till I got home and opened the first box. I emailed John and he said its fine. My Son and I will be shooting it on Saturday in the AM class.

well that's good to know , I didn't know about Winchester either. the hunt / calls will start for one of my pals to join me.

thanks

Replied in another post about this place , watched the vid posted above. Looks like a good time. I'll start looking at dates & start to ask my pals about taking a class with me. I'm guessing a different kind of ammo will have to be purchased since all my range stuff is Steel cased stuff.

I'm definitely gonna look into going to one or two of these basic handgun classes before it's gets cold.

You really need to do one when it is cold. If it ain't raining, it ain't training... But yeah, John's got himself a nice range and this is great practice at a bargain price. You'll love it.

You really need to do one when it is cold. If it ain't raining, it ain't training... But yeah, John's got himself a nice range and this is great practice at a bargain price. You'll love it.

thanks , Itsounds & looks like a ton of fun

I know what you mean about ruffin It but I hate helping the gun shake more than it has too........

Archived