What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

C0untZer0

Did I miss a bill getting voted on to make autos legal?

yes, apparently you did! :-)

FYI there is no preemption in the bill, it is making it legal at the state level as long as you have a FOID card

SB0607

4/5/2017 Senate Third Reading - Passed; 052-000-000

4/5/2017 House Arrived in House

4/5/2017 House Chief House Sponsor Rep. Brian W. Stewart

4/5/2017 House First Reading

4/5/2017 House Referred to Rules Committee

5/3/2017 House Assigned to Judiciary - Criminal Committee

5/9/2017 House Do Pass / Short Debate Judiciary - Criminal Committee; 013-000-000

5/10/2017 House Placed on Calendar 2nd Reading - Short Debate

5/11/2017 House Second Reading - Short Debate

5/11/2017 House Placed on Calendar Order of 3rd Reading - Short Debate

5/15/2017 Senate Added as Co-Sponsor Sen. Dan McConchie

5/18/2017 House Motion - Move to Previous Question Rep. Michael J. Zalewski

5/18/2017 House Motion Prevailed

5/18/2017 House Third Reading - Short Debate - Passed 061-045-002

5/18/2017 Senate Passed Both Houses

I really don't know that much about knives, but I have a Schrade OTF spring assisted and a spring assisted flipper - a Kershaw Scrambler.

I might look into getting a knife, I'm wondering what other people are looking at...

I hypothetically might have an HK made by Benchmade that I really like. Since Benchmade dropped the HK relationship this year, I want to see what else Benchmade has. They were basically same knife from what I understand with the HK cheaper. AFAIK, no one picked up the HK line up.

Holding over from the Jack Bauer 24 days, a microtech comes to mind but they are pricey.

I need to even research who makes them. Gerber used to make quality knives but I dont know if it is even the same company or has had the name sold like so many places.

I've got some non auto spring assisted made by SOG that I have been pleased with.

Good to see some of the HK product is still in supply side. Last time I searched seemed everyone was out of stock so I guess I need to look again.

I see some of the discontinued HK brand

http://www.bladeops.com/Benchmade-14430-HK-Patrol-Auto-Knife-Drop-Point-S-p/ben14430.htm

has been transitioned to Benchmade models

https://www.bladeops.com/searchresults.asp?Search=casbah

with a price increase, although the blade appears different. I dont know enough about what is better in material e.g. D2 vs S30V?

I see some of the discontinued HK brand http://www.bladeops.com/Benchmade-14430-HK-Patrol-Auto-Knife-Drop-Point-S-p/ben14430.htm

has been transitioned to Benchmade modelshttps://www.bladeops.com/searchresults.asp?Search=casbah

with a price increase, although the blade appears different. I dont know enough about what is better in material e.g. D2 vs S30V?

D2 is tool steel. It's heavy and a royal b to sharpen. S30V is pretty awesome. I carry a D2 blade daily in my HK mini axis. I have to touch up the blade every week or two, and it never gets factory new sharp. My wife's S30V griptillian is still shaving sharp after two years of riding in the abyss at the bottom of her purse.

I couldn't quite follow it - but it sounded like the antis were OK with auto-opening knives but not ones that would open with just a "flick of the wrist" ?

Yes, thats what the one Rep sounded like when he was asking questions, but are balisongs or gravity knives illegal now anyway? It really sounded like there was confusion understanding a switchblade which opens with a push of a button vs spring assisted knives, which was probably good for us.

Willis though (paraphrasing) mentioned these 5 inch blades and if it required a FOID card it was deadly enough to not be on our streets.

Archived