Dem Bill will force banks to share “suspicious” firearms purchases

steveTA84

1. Lots of people gonna be getting fed visits if this passes (but what the heck is illegal activity related to firearms?)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/15/business/dealbook/banks-gun-crime.html#click=https://t.co/bVH0dCb2jX

A day after two students were killed at a school in Santa Clarita, Calif., Representative Jennifer Wexton, Democrat of Virginia, is planning to introduce a bill in Congress this morning that would require banks and other financial institutions to work with the government to help identify and report suspicious or illegal financial activity related to firearms.

Heres how it would work: The bill, called the Gun Violence Prevention Through Financial Intelligence Act, would require the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCEN, to work with financial companies to develop a framework to identify suspicious firearms transactions. The bill says that if FinCEN determines that banks do not have enough data to identify suspicious activity, it must submit a report to Congress detailing the process and identifying barriers to data collection.

Ohhhhhhhh not illegal, SUSPICIOUS. So, dont buy buy gun stuff every payday (commies.......)

Criminals are always using credit/debit cards for their purchases. What will they think of next?

Fascism is where the thieves make their victims the criminal. Always under the guise of progress. Our entire financial system is fed backed fractional reserve banks electronically lending money that doesnt exist. The fed giveth and the fed taketh away just as easily.

How do they know you purchased a firearm?

Purchases of "too much" ammunition coming soon!

Because FinCEN regulates money laundering. At any given time they can open up a case making you prove the flow of money is legit. Showing the exact flow of money in and money out. Goods purchased and sold. Id imagine 4473s would be fair game in a FinCEN case.

Also remember Operation Chokepoint? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Choke_Point The government threatened to cancel FDIC insurance on banks that allowed firearm loans and transactions.

Another stupid law that won't solve anything, laws like this that actually target far more innocents then criminals just force people to work around the law. As said most criminals are not using credit or debit to buy their guns/ammo and innocents that don't want to be tracked will just use the obvious work arounds, like cash, cash advances or just use your credit card to by 'gift cards' that then can be used to make the gun purchase.

I guess they are going to have to eliminate cash, so there is no loopholes. Then you will have to have a debit/credit card to purchase anything so they can monitor where your money is going and give approval.

I read something about that once in a book.........

More piling on the banks. I can't imagine what it costs banks each year to comply with ridiculous federal laws created by screwballs like this. In my banking days, a ton was spent trying to comply with BS. Which translates to higher costs for the bank customer.

Consider just one agency, Elizabeth Warren's brainchild the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Financial companies have to provide office space and workstations for a group of witch hunters who take up residence for indeterminate lengths of time. There may not even be probable cause - just government snoops looking for "violations" they can fine the company for. That's the only source of revenue for the CFPB since there is no oversight or funding by Congress. My primary beef with Lizzy Warren as a candidate is her mindset as the architect of this witch hunt agency.

Several intelligent friends with advanced degrees left productive jobs because they were spending too much time on mind-numbing compliance work.

1. Lots of people gonna be getting fed visits if this passes (but what the heck is illegal activity related to firearms?)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/15/business/dealbook/banks-gun-crime.html#click=https://t.co/bVH0dCb2jX

A day after two students were killed at a school in Santa Clarita, Calif., Representative Jennifer Wexton, Democrat of Virginia, is planning to introduce a bill in Congress this morning that would require banks and other financial institutions to work with the government to help identify and report suspicious or illegal financial activity related to firearms.

Heres how it would work: The bill, called the Gun Violence Prevention Through Financial Intelligence Act, would require the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCEN, to work with financial companies to develop a framework to identify suspicious firearms transactions. The bill says that if FinCEN determines that banks do not have enough data to identify suspicious activity, it must submit a report to Congress detailing the process and identifying barriers to data collection.

Ohhhhhhhh not illegal, SUSPICIOUS. So, dont buy buy gun stuff every payday (commies.......)

So, from what I understand, if a sudden, unusual purchase of firearms occurs, that's what would get flagged and reported.

Thus, the solution to that is to REGULARLY buy firearms and ammunition, so that they fit as "usual" purchases.

Got it!

"Hey, honey, I need to make sure the government doesn't think I am making suspicious firearm purchases, so we have to put a line item in the monthly budget for guns and bullets!"

I guess they are going to have to eliminate cash, so there is no loopholes. Then you will have to have a debit/credit card to purchase anything so they can monitor where your money is going and give approval.

The .gov would love that since they could use your spending compared to your worth to determine if you have unreported income.

Archived