HB2864-milage tax

jkdkaliman101

When they started talking about this it was only .015 and now .021. We had already guessed this was coming.

next year "Wait people arn't driving enough we need to raise it to .031"

and next year "Wait people arn't driving enough we need to raise it to .041"

etc etc

while all the money is going into a pocket and not where it says it would go.

If I'm reading the bill right, it only applies to electric and/or hybrid cars? Those vehicles that do not get taxed at the pump.

It occurs to me that this mileage tax may be intended to target those that drive electric cars since the state has no other way to collect taxes on electric cars other than a mileage tax. Based on the wording it looks like someone would have to sign up and be approved to pay this tax instead of fuel tax. This is potentially great for someone that keeps their tank full but is otherwise a shut in since they would only pay for their limited travel. Also the pilot program would have to engineer a way to provide the tax exemption at the pump or limit it to non-fuel vehicles.

It occurs to me that this mileage tax may be intended to target those that drive electric cars since the state has no other way to collect taxes on electric cars other than a mileage tax.

They could simply charge more to register and renew license plates on electric cars. It'd be a lot easier than trying to make sure people are reporting their milage accurately.

How are they going to address out of state mileage? Can’t tax the mileage that was driven out of state.

If I take a 2000 mile road trip out of state for vacation, that’s not gonna fly, then there are the visits to in-laws out of the state. Then there are the trips out of state to buy ammo...

I guess they could setup check points at every bit of road on our borders and record your mileage and then give you PAPERS, to allow you in and out of the peoples republic of Illicrapistania.

I knew it was a lie when that Al Capone wanna be said he was not considering it. What about those who live here but work out of state? A lot of folks around here work over in Kentucky and I would say 99% buy their gas over there. That is what they are after- that gas tax money they ain't getting. SO are we going to be doubled taxed??

It occurs to me that this mileage tax may be intended to target those that drive electric cars since the state has no other way to collect taxes on electric cars other than a mileage tax.

They could simply charge more to register and renew license plates on electric cars. It'd be a lot easier than trying to make sure people are reporting their milage accurately.

pfftt, their going to do that in ADDITION to the milage tax only it will be for all of us.

This one resulted in a flat out lie by JB during the campaign. He said outright he wasn't going to do this.

And here we go. Lips are moving means lies in action.

Have you really ever believed anything that comes out of a politician's mouth ? Even more so with a democrat.

No, I was just pointing the lies out this time. I'd never trust a politician, much like actors they lie for a living.

It's a test program (ha!) as they are looking for 5000 cars. It is only for miles driven in IL. Say 10000 miles at 20 mpg is 500 Gallons, IL fuel tax is about $.20/gal, Fed is about $.18/gal, and, outside of cook county, sales tax is about $.16/gal at approximately $2.00/gal. Tot tax = $.54/gal or about $.027/mile. Assuming the test program eliminates all taxes on gasoline, their $.021 per mile is OK for now. I think the purpose is to collect road usage data in order to ultimately tax hybrid/electric vehicles for their little or no fuel usage at a rate similar to fuel burners.

It occurs to me that this mileage tax may be intended to target those that drive electric cars since the state has no other way to collect taxes on electric cars other than a mileage tax. Based on the wording it looks like someone would have to sign up and be approved to pay this tax instead of fuel tax. This is potentially great for someone that keeps their tank full but is otherwise a shut in since they would only pay for their limited travel. Also the pilot program would have to engineer a way to provide the tax exemption at the pump or limit it to non-fuel vehicles.

Exactly, it is essentially a tax break for drivers of less fuel efficient vehicles to put in place an infrastructure to go after the drivers of more fuel efficient vehicles.

JB talking out of both sides of his mouth when he said Rauner was lying that he had planned to do a per mileage tax scheme.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/bruce-rauner-j-b-pritzker-illinois-mileage-tax-gps-plan-fact-check-politifact-false/

Link to the bill

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=2864&GAID=15&GA=101&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=119167&SessionID=108

I'm guessing the tax savings will also require you to use some state issued fleet like credit card?

It wasn't the fuel taxes that tipped the yellow vests into rioting. It was the government policy that made them buy one type of vehicle to pay lower taxes, then changing the policy to make sure those vehicles paid more taxes.

Car manufacturers have been forced into making more fuel efficient vehicles with higher price tags for small affordable cars, but they advertise the fuel cost savings. Now the government will just recover any savings in taxes.

Exactly, it is essentially a tax break for drivers of less fuel efficient vehicles to put in place an infrastructure to go after the drivers of more fuel efficient vehicles.

Not according to this article I read. Unless your car gets less than 9 miles per gallon you’ll pay more with this per mile tax.

http://www.wsiltv.com/story/39974653/illinois-lawmaker-introduces-mileage-tax-pilot-program

Archived