One in 9 Democrats Bought Gun in Past 3 Months, Poll Shows

mauserme

This is a cached version of an Epoch Times analysis:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:whXlCHvIPNoJ:https://www.theepochtimes.com/one-in-9-democrats-bought-gun-in-past-3-months-poll-shows_3485563.html+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera

One in 9 Democrats Bought Gun in Past 3 Months, Poll Shows

BY PETR SVAB
September 2, 2020 Updated: September 2, 2020

Nearly 12 percent of Democrats bought a gun in the past three months and almost 19 percent of Republicans did so, the poll showed.

The trend was particularly strong in the 18-29 age group (over 22 percent), black people (21 percent), union members (nearly 32 percent), urbanites (over 19 percent), and those earning over $200,000 (19 percent).
The records coincided with national lockdowns due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as protests turning into riots in cities across the country.
Meanwhile, Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden calls for some two dozen gun-control measures, including a ban on sales and manufacturing of military-style sporting rifles, such as the AR-15. He also wants universal background checks for nearly all gun transfers and the repeal of a law that shields gun makers from liability for lawful gun sales. He would prohibit online gun sales and supports state “red flag” laws and gun-licensing regimes.

Most importantly, how many of these new Democratic gun owners will vote Republican - ZERO.

Many are buying guns because they fear the right/republicans. Political reasons, not overall safety. Take that how you will.....

Granted, their right to do so, but theyll work towards voting their rights away because to most of them, emotions > common sense

Most importantly, how many of these new Democratic gun owners will vote Republican - ZERO.

Many are buying guns because they fear the right/republicans. Political reasons, not overall safety. Take that how you will.....

Granted, their right to do so, but theyll work towards voting their rights away because to most of them, emotions > common sense

Jesus, all you do is peddle in conspiracy theory, speculation, and nonsense. You have no idea why any Democrats are buying guns, let alone "many", and for what reasons.

And no, I'm not a Democrat, before you try to push that nonsense, also. I'm firmly planted in the center, leaning left on some stuff, and right on other stuff.

Please keep it civil.

Sorry, it's just hard to continually read some of this nonsense. Not trying to be uncivil, just trying to call things how I see em. He has no idea why Democrats have bought guns.

I can personally testify to most Democrats I know who have purchased guns, buying them on account of the rioting/looting in or around their neighborhoods, and fearing for their lives, lives of their families, and property. Now that's purely anecdotal, but it's far more than he offered in his "claim". Political leanings aside, most people are the same, fundamentally. They care about their lives, their families, their homes and property, their dogs, their country, their rights, their freedoms, and any other number of things, just the same.

This is part of the problem in this country. You continually have some people that want to just divide, divide, divide, and not enough people who want to unite everyone to fix this country.

That's kind of what makes them Democrats, no?

I'd vote either way, depending on which candidate has my best interests in mind, in my opinion. If a Republican candidate will help me more? I'm voting Republican. If a Democratic candidate will help me more? I'm voting Democrat. I guess I'm probably in the minority of people out there, though. Most seem locked into red or blue, whether they agree with the platform/policy, or not. I'm not. Red or blue means nothing to me. I couldn't care less which side of the aisle a candidate falls on, so long as they have my best interests in mind.

Many are buying guns because they fear the right/republicans.

Which is ironic because it is the left doing the riots and criminal activity.

That's not what the left believes. They believe the riots and violence are agent provocateurs from the right infiltrating the peaceful protests

I have to agree with steveTA84 on this one, the new gun owners on the left will largely be glad to give them up when the Democrats are back in power, because they feel they will no longer need them

There have been articles, even going back to when trump got elected, stating exactly that is why they are buying guns.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38297345

Did you read that article? It was one single person that stated that. Have more articles, and more testimony to that? That article even lists 4-5 different reasons as to why Democrats or liberals are buying more guns...

That's just one reason. The article is also four years old. It likely has very little to do with what is occurring right now, this second.

"concerned that isolated acts of aggression against minorities could escalate into something more violent and that a Trump administration will dismantle key constitutional rights, leading to a "more fascist rule than the US has ever had".

There are obviously many reasons.

Thanks for actually using BBC, though, as your source. It's at least an unbiased news site.

Many are buying guns because they fear the right/republicans.

Which is ironic because it is the left doing the riots and criminal activity.

That's not what the left believes. They believe the riots and violence are agent provocateurs from the right infiltrating the peaceful protests

I have to agree with steveTA84 on this one, the new gun owners on the left will largely be glad to give them up when the Democrats are back in power, because they feel they will no longer need them

More make-believe nonsense, honestly.

This goes to anyone on here that is a Republican/Conservative, or whatever you'd like to call yourself.

You all do realize there are far-left extremists just like there are far-right extremists, right? That there are also a ton of moderate Democrats? Or conservative Democrats?

I will agree there are likely people on the "left" that actually think that "agent provocateurs from the right infiltrating the peaceful protests" is actually a thing, but I can tell you that it's a minority of the wacked out far-left, and not the majority... I have a lot of Democrats and Independents in my circles, both friends, and family, and none think that. Most think that these protests have ****** people both on the right and the left of all of it.

It's probably incorrect to say all Democrats who bought guns did so for the same, single reason. It's equally incorrect for any of us to claim to know the mind of every Democrat any more than we could make that claim about every Republican.

The article originally linked to shows a trend without really analyzing the cause of that trend. The US is a very different place compared to when the 2016 BBC article was written. It's likely there are different reasons now compared to then.

It's probably incorrect to say all Democrats who bought guns did so for the same, single reason. It's equally incorrect for any of us to claim to know the mind of every Democrat any more than we could make that claim about every Republican.

The article originally linked to shows a trend without really analyzing the cause of that trend. The US is a very different place compared to when the 2016 BBC article was written. It's likely there are different reasons now compared to then.

I agree with pretty much all of this. :thumbsup:

I'm all for discussion about the politics of things. I just think more care needs to be taken not to generalize everyone from a specific side. I wouldn't do so for either red or blue. I know great people, and have great friends that fall on both sides of the political spectrum, and really there's not much different about all of us. Two of my best friends are Republicans. My closest friend from childhood is a Democrat. I'm an independent/centrist.

Unfortunately, I have to be very careful when I express my opinion, but I vote for the candidate that is BEST for the country. Or, the state, or region, or community they represent. Those who are going to uphold and protect everyone's constitutional rights so we can live a free life, unencumbered by those who want to take away rights, property, or wealth, from one person, and give to those who disagree with that premise. Those who promote fiscal responsibility so we are not stealing from our descendants. Those who would never engage in quid pro quo behavior negatively affecting the tax payers for political gain and entrenched power.

I deplore the thought of anyone voting for candidates that are good for individuals who support them. Voting in exchange for ANYTHING, is exactly how Democrats have taken over the urban areas. And over time, this has turned into, Vote the right way, or you don't get the services everyone should be entitled. When people vote for those who would be good for themselves, you are pretty well selfishly putting yourself over the community, state, and country. Anyone who votes for any candidate anywhere, to expect a personal gain, or avoid negative retaliation really needs to rethink that strategy.

JMHO.

Unfortunately, I have to be very careful when I express my opinion, but I vote for the candidate that is BEST for the country. Or, the state, or region, or community they represent. Those who are going to uphold and protect everyone's constitutional rights so we can live a free life, unencumbered by those who want to take away rights, property, or wealth, from one person, and give to those who disagree with that premise. Those who promote fiscal responsibility so we are not stealing from our descendants. Those who would never engage in quid pro quo behavior negatively affecting the tax payers for political gain and entrenched power.

I deplore the thought of anyone voting for candidates that are good for individuals who support them. Voting in exchange for ANYTHING, is exactly how Democrats have taken over the urban areas. And over time, this has turned into, Vote the right way, or you don't get the services everyone should be entitled. When people vote for those who would be good for themselves, you are pretty well selfishly putting yourself over the community, state, and country. Anyone who votes for any candidate anywhere, to expect a personal gain, or avoid negative retaliation really needs to rethink that strategy.

JMHO.

It may have been a misunderstanding of what I meant when I said voting for the candidate that has my best interests in mind. It's more along the lines of the candidate that best aligns with my philosophy, views, and beliefs, as I believe that to be the direction the country should be headed, based upon those things. I'm voting for a candidate I think best exemplifies what I want for myself, and the rest of the country/state/city/community, but based upon my subjective view of what I believe is best, and the direction we should head. That is subjective, and will vary person to person.

Take Pritzker for example. Despise the man. Didn't vote for him. Wouldn't ever vote for him. He doesn't align with my views. He doesn't have my best interest in mind. He's just doing things to line his own pockets, just like most, if not all politicians, especially in this state.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

My personal belief is that Democrats/Liberals are buying guns for the same reasons many Republicans/Conservatives do. Defend their lives, families, and property/possessions, and to have fun shooting. Or blow off steam/stress, particularly the stresses of a pandemic and lockdowns. Or any other number of reasons. I don't think it's simply because they fear the right/Republicans. It sucks, though, because I'm going to the range less, as ammo is harder to come by, and faaaaaaaaar more expensive. $1 a round for 9mm on some websites? What the eff? Was talking to the guys at the range yesterday about it... absolutely insane. And they're pretty much out of all ammo, even at the ranges.

I give you credit that you would proudly proclaim that you will vote for the same people who aim to take away the right you are now celebrating, and the reason we gather here.

I know you are a smart guy, who can understand the absurdity of that paradox.

I trust there must be other urgent platform issues that makes sacrificing the 2A worthwhile to you.

I’m a Democrat who bought a gun in this period...

It was a good deal on a gun I liked.

Nothing more.

Was it one of the guns that the platform of the party you support wants to heighten licensing requirements for or to just outright ban??

Inquiring mind want to know.

From the 2020 Democratic Party Platform:

“ Democrats will ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high capacity magazines. We will incentivize states to enact licensing requirements for owning firearms “

I’m a Democrat who bought a gun in this period...

It was a good deal on a gun I liked.

Nothing more.

Is there something we can do to bring the party back to a more traditional view of firearm ownership - to your way of thinking?

I hope so, but I don’t know what it is. I kinda bring it with influencers every chance I get. Unfortunately that is not nearly as often as it would have been without CoVid.

Elect me for Senator or something... great retirement job I think.

I hope so, but I don’t know what it is. I kinda bring it with influencers every chance I get. Unfortunately that is not nearly as often as it would have been without CoVid.

Elect me for Senator or something... great retirement job I think.

Let's stay open to discussing it more if either of us has a flash of brilliance. I mean, we don't have to agree on everything to agree on this, right?

Archived