Illinois General Assembly 1/28/2015

mauserme

Welcome to the 99th General Assembly. Though really the second session day for this new general assembly, the work begins in earnest today.

The House is scheduled for 12:00 Noon today. The Senate is not in..

While too early to expect action on any firearm related bills, the House Rules for the next two years should be adopted today. Adoption in the House of HJR7, resolving to meet in joint session on 2/4/2015 for the purpose of Governor Rauner's first State of the State address, can also be expected.

Session for 1/29/2015 has been cancelled.

Next Days Scheduled

House: 2/4/2015
Senate: 2/3/2015

House Calendar

HB 346

520 ILCS 5/2.26 from Ch. 61, par. 2.26

Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides that a person with a validconcealed carry license issued under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, or an off-duty law enforcement official or officer, may carry a handgun on or about his or her person while hunting deer. Effective immediately.

Wow....a pleasant surprise...protection of Firearms from Federal Law

HB 0349

720 ILCS 5/24-11 new

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that a public officer or public employee or dealer selling any firearm in the State may not enforce or attempt to enforce any act, law, statute, rule, or regulation of the United States government relating to a personal firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition that is owned or manufactured commercially or privately inIllinois and that remains exclusively within the borders of Illinois. Provides that any official, agent, or employee of the United States government who enforces or attempts to enforce any act, order, law, statute, rule, or regulation of the United States government upon a personal firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is owned or manufactured commercially or privately in Illinois and that remains exclusively within the borders of Illinois is guilty of a Class 4 felony for which the sentence shall be a term of imprisonment for not less than one year or more than 3 years, a fine of not more than $5,000, or both. Provides that any federal law, rule, regulation, or order created or effective on or after January 1, 2016 shall be unenforceable within the borders of Illinois if the law, rule, regulation or order attempts to: (1) ban or restrict ownership of a semi-automatic firearm or any magazine of a firearm; or (2) require any firearm, magazine, or other firearm accessory to be registered in any manner. Effective immediately.

HB 0352 Bobcat Hunting

520 ILCS 5/2.30 from Ch. 61, par. 2.30 520 ILCS 5/2.30b 520 ILCS 5/2.33 from Ch. 61, par. 2.33 520 ILCS 5/2.33a from Ch. 61, par. 2.33a

Amends the Wildlife Code. Removes the prohibition on taking bobcats in the State. Provides that it shall be unlawful for any person to trap or to hunt bobcats with gun, dog, dog and gun, or bow and arrow, except during the open season which will be set annually by the Director of Natural Resources between 12:01 a.m., November 1 to 12:00 midnight, February 15, both inclusive. Provides that the season limit for bobcat shall not exceed one bobcat per permit. Provides that the pelts of bobcats shall be tagged in accordance with federal regulations and the Department of Natural Resources may require harvest registration and set forth procedures, fees for registration, and the process of tagging pelts in administrative rules. Provides that bobcats may be taken during the open season by use of a small light which is worn on the body or hand-held by a person on foot and not in any vehicle.

Mandatory Minimums for Convicted Felons - Place holder I will provide a more detailed analysis by the end of the day

HB 0353

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Creates 2 separate offenses of unlawful use or possession of weapons by felons and unlawful use or possession of weapons by persons in the custody of the Department of Corrections facilities. Establishes penalties. Changes the penalties for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. Provides that a sentence of county impact incarceration is not authorized for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon or for unlawful possession of a firearm by a street gang member.Provides that unlawful possession of a firearm by a street gang member is a Class 2 felony for which the person shall (rather than may) be sentenced to 4 (rather than 3) years and no more than 10 years. Amends the Unified Code of Corrections. Provides that a prisoner serving a sentence for certain unlawful use or possession of weapons by felons violations shall receive no more than 7.5 days of sentence credit for each month of his or her sentence of imprisonment; and that a prisoner serving a sentence for unlawful possession of a firearm by a street gang member; certain violations of unlawful use or possession of weapons by felons; or a Class 2 or greater felony for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon shall receive no more than 4.5 days of sentence credit for each month of his or her sentence of imprisonment. Permits the issuance of sentence credits, at the Department of Corrections discretion, for persons convicted of unlawful use orpossession of weapons by felons under certain circumstances. Amends various other Acts to make conforming changes.

Expanded Carry for Correction Officers

HB0350

720 ILCS 5/24-2 730 ILCS 5/3-2-12 new

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012 and the Unified Code of Corrections. Permits currently employed and retired State correctional officers to carry their own firearms off duty without being in violation of the unlawful use of weapons and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon statutes if they meet certain training requirements.

Concealed Carry Signs

HB0359

430 ILCS 66/65

Amends the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Provides that a person shall not carry a concealed firearm onto private real property of any type without prior permission from the property owner. Provides that a real property owner shall indicate permission to carry concealed firearms onto the property by clearly and conspicuously posting a sign at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property under his or her control, except this posting is not required if the property is a private residence. Provides that the sign shall be at least 4 inches by 6 inches in size (rather than exactly that size). Effective immediately.

Permission for Concealed Carry on Public Transportation

HB0367

SYNOPSIS AS INTRODUCED:
430 ILCS 66/65

Amends the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Eliminates provision that prohibits a concealed carry licensee from knowingly carrying a firearm on or into any bus, train, or form of transportation paid for in whole or in part with public funds, and any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public transportation facility paid for in whole or in part with public funds.

HB346 Hunting Carrying Handguns - Allows licensees to carry a handgun while hunting deer

HB349 Crim Cd Firearms Federal Law - Prohibits enforcement of Federal law on firearms & accessories that remain in Illinois

HB350 Correctional Officer Firearms - Allows correctional officers to carry off duty

HB352 Wildlife Bobcat Hunting - Establishes a bobcat hunting season

HB353 Crim Cd Weapons Felons

HB359 Firearm Concealed Carry Signs - Inverts the signage requirement

HB367 Concealed Carry Public Transit - Removes the carry prohibition on public transportation

Did I miss anything?

HB346 Hunting Carrying Handguns - Allows licensees to carry a handgun while hunting deer

HB349 Crim Cd Firearms Federal Law - Prohibits enforcement of Federal law on firearms & accessories that remain in Illinois

HB350 Correctional Officer Firearms - Allows correctional officers to carry off duty

HB367 Concealed Carry Public Transit - Removes the carry prohibition on public transportation

Did I miss anything?

I think you got all of it.

Did I miss anything?

I think you got all of it.

I'll update the bill list later on - was trying to do it at lunch but someone decided I didn't need lunch today.

So..........someone on pvt property, specifically their own, is going to need a CCL while deer hunting?

The language doesn't change any of the deer firearm rules. It does allow carry of a handgun not specifically allowed for hunting by rule, if licensed under the FCCA. I don't think that addresses the entire problem your speaking of, though.

I really really don't like this one.

I'm with you on this one... it's bad enough looking for signs to know you can't, but hunting for a sign to know if you can??? That just smells of 'Oh, you won the right to carry? Well, fine. I'm going to work my hardest so that you can't legally carry it anywhere without turning yourself into a felon. Oh, and that you decide to carry makes you a felon in my eyes anyway, so we're just writing the law to match my narrow-minded view of how things SHOULD BE!"

Most of the other bills (so far) look like ones to support... I'm really for the public transportation inclusion for carry.

Related question (though i might belong in a separate thread) - if we get FCCL to include Metra, would Union Station have any federal restrictions on it or some other exclusion from any Illinois law due to also housing Amtrak?

Thanks!

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I really really don't like this one.

I'm with you on this one... it's bad enough looking for signs to know you can't, but hunting for a sign to know if you can??? That just smells of 'Oh, you won the right to carry? Well, fine. I'm going to work my hardest so that you can't legally carry it anywhere without turning yourself into a felon. Oh, and that you decide to carry makes you a felon in my eyes anyway, so we're just writing the law to match my narrow-minded view of how things SHOULD BE!"

Most of the other bills (so far) look like ones to support... I'm really for the public transportation inclusion for carry.

Related question (though i might belong in a separate thread) - if we get FCCL to include Metra, would Union Station have any federal restrictions on it or some other exclusion from any Illinois law due to also housing Amtrak?

Thanks!

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think we'll be able to affect what's done under Federal law, but we can at least push to put Illinois on the same footing as other states.

A bobcat hunting bill has been filed in the Senate now, along with a number of shell bills.

Wow....a pleasant surprise...protection of Firearms from Federal Law

HB 0349

720 ILCS 5/24-11 new

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that a public officer or public employee or dealer selling any firearm in the State may not enforce or attempt to enforce any act, law, statute, rule, or regulation of the United States government relating to a personal firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition that is owned or manufactured commercially or privately inIllinois and that remains exclusively within the borders of Illinois. Provides that any official, agent, or employee of the United States government who enforces or attempts to enforce any act, order, law, statute, rule, or regulation of the United States government upon a personal firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is owned or manufactured commercially or privately in Illinois and that remains exclusively within the borders of Illinois is guilty of a Class 4 felony for which the sentence shall be a term of imprisonment for not less than one year or more than 3 years, a fine of not more than $5,000, or both. Provides that any federal law, rule, regulation, or order created or effective on or after January 1, 2016 shall be unenforceable within the borders of Illinois if the law, rule, regulation or order attempts to: (1) ban or restrict ownership of a semi-automatic firearm or any magazine of a firearm; or (2) require any firearm, magazine, or other firearm accessory to be registered in any manner. Effective immediately.

Now all we have to do is find a way to compel the speaker to call it for a vote.

Archived