How to Appeal Revoked or Denied FOID

Just joined to get more info on appeals. From the looks of it the appeals process is behind closed doors and you're not updated on it?

Had a denial due to mental health over 5 years and sent in the required form filled out by the doctor along with the request for appeal and request for investigation form.

Did you also send in a firearm disposition form sometime along the line?

Just joined to get more info on appeals. From the looks of it the appeals process is behind closed doors and you're not updated on it?

Had a denial due to mental health over 5 years and sent in the required form filled out by the doctor along with the request for appeal and request for investigation form.

No, the letter didn't say I needed to. Plus I don't own any guns to declare.

Some folks have been informed by the ISP their appeal cannot be processed until the firearm disposition is submitted. I would suggest you fill it out and write on the form that you do not own any firearms and have no firearms in your possession. FAX the form to this number with a request to have it added to your appeal.

217-782-9139

Firearm Disposition Form.pdf

Some folks have been informed by the ISP their appeal cannot be processed until the firearm disposition is submitted. I would suggest you fill it out and write on the form that you do not own any firearms and have no firearms in your possession. FAX the form to this number with a request to have it added to your appeal.

217-782-9139

attachicon.gifFirearm Disposition Form.pdf

Ok, I'll give that a try. Tried calling and emailing to get an update but it appears no one responds or is available to give updates.

Hello

On June 8, an "ex parte" no contact order was placed against me. (Ex parte means only the petitioner was present)

I turned in my firearm after receiving an ISP letter just TWO DAYS LATER.

On June 29, I had my day in court and the judge said "the petition was an abuse of the system" and vacated the order.

I took the order to the police station and they refused to return my firearm. I called ISP and was put on hold for two hours and no one picked up.

I have printed out all the forms and also understand I need three character references to start the appeal.

I am told the ISP appeal can take YEARS. Two days to surrender and years to recover after a false and vacated order?!

Now, I read a protective order, even a "vacated order" requires me to file a Motion in the County Court. Is that right??

Can someone guide me through this pmiserable process.

Where do I start.

Thanks

You need to submit a FOID appeal that includes:

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/AppealRequest.pdf

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/Investigation.pdf

and a certified copy (signed and stamped by the court) showing the OP dismissed.

You do not need the character references, you are filing a 'records challenge' appeal to show you no longer have an OP against you.

Mail all of this to the address on the forms using a mail service that will provide you with a receipt of delivery. Also FAX the documents to the FAX number on the forms.

It doesnt seem to be listed on the forms dated 2013 or 2015.

From the ispfsb site contact us

Illinois State Police

Firearms Services Bureau

801 South 7th Street

Suite 400 M

Springfield, Illinois 62703

Telephone: 217-782-7980

Fax: 217-782-9139

ISP.AskFOIDandCCL@illinois.gov

This is same fax number Molly posted in #243 above.

Edited by InterestedBystander

How were people notified that the application for the FOID appeal can’t go through because of the firearm disposition form? I hired a lawyer who does this for a living and he didn’t have this in my appeal packet. Also emailed him about this and he said this form is for people who had FOID cars revoked that owned firearms. Which I did not. I submitted my appeal application in the end of January this year. Haven’t heard anything back. Last I spoke with my attorney he said because of COVID everything will be very very behind. And right before the virus hit he also sent the State Police a letter threatening a lawsuit because of inaction on all his appeals. A few weeks went by and he said an ISP officer contacted him saying that they are starting to go over his clients appeals. Yet again this was right before the Covid got bad state wide. As of yet nothing heard from them by me or my attorney. I am just playing the waiting game as most of you. I just hope they deny me soon so I can go to court. Because I would win my appeal. Or maybe I’ll just get lucky and get a present in my mailbox.

Regards

I am so upset and cant believe The appeal board only meets once a week for 3 to 4 hours to review at most 50 applications.

I faxed and mailed my application today and with a backlog of thousands what can we do?

My OP was vacated and based on false sworn testimony and The states attorney won't consider perjury charges in a civil order.

Edited by OPREVOKED

The appeal board only meets once a week for 3 to 4 hours to review at most 50 applications.

Out of curiousity, where did you get the info from? I totally believe it, but in the past when we tried finding how often they met, schedules, etc we really didnt get any solid info. I wonder how they select which gets reviewed at the meetings...order submitted?

I just hope they deny me soon so I can go to court.

IIRC, Molly posted a pretty high percentage of those under board review get overturned. Edited by InterestedBystander

Filed my appeal today. Sixteen pages sent by FAX to ISP. I have a FAX confirmation Sent the original Court documents (again sixteen pages) certified return receipt to ISP firearms Bureau, appeals board.

In 30 days, I am going to contact the Director of Firearms Division to expedite.

I am also contacting my State Representative and State Senator.

Then I am going to contact Governor Pritskers Office and talk to their firearm liason.

If all this fails, I am going to file suit in the circuit court seeking an order for immediate release of my firearm citing second amendment and due process concerns.

This can't be legal.

Edited by OPREVOKED

Filed my appeal today. Sixteen pages sent by FAX to ISP. I have a FAX confirmation Sent the original Court documents (again sixteen pages) certified return receipt to ISP firearms Bureau, appeals board.

In 30 days, I am going to contact the Director of Firearms Division to expedite.

I am also contacting my State Representative and State Senator.

Then I am going to contact Governor Pritskers Office and talk to their firearm liason.

If all this fails, I am going to file suit in the circuit court seeking an order for immediate release of my firearm citing second amendment and due process concerns.

This can't be legal.

It's not. The very fundamentals of the constitution dictate a separation of powers. Due process for appeals for a right should be handled in the courts. Except the ISP has effectively been authorized to operate a secret court. There's no hearing, no representation. Literally they make you go through hoops and wait indefinitely in the dark. It's one thing if it was a license/permit system for something that's a privilege like driving (with the DMV), except it's a right.

I'm all for joining a lawsuit representing IL residents waiting for FOID appeal as I'm in the same boat right now.

Edited by hceuterpe

DON'T FORGET:

IT IS NOT JUST THE APPEAL BOARD THAT IS INVISIBLE TO "DUE PROCESS",

ANYONE CAN HAVE YOUR FIREARM TAKEN AWAY FOR YEARS BY FILLING OUT AN ONLINE EMERGENCY ORDER OF NO CONTACT WITH NO VERIFICATION OF FACTS AND WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEGE OR APPEARANCE,

AND THERE IS NO PROSECUTION OF PERJURY IN A CIVIL NO CONTACT ORDER! THE COUNTER JUDGE JUST ASKS THE PETITIONER TO STATE UPON OATH THE FACTS ARE TRUE AND RUBBER STAMPS IT.

THEN THE ORDER GOES TO THE CLERK AND THE SHERRIFF WHO SERVES YOU WITH A SUMMONS AND A FIREARM DISPOSITION RECORD WITH 48 HOURS TO TURN YOUR GUNS INTO LOCAL POLICE.

KISS YOUR FIREARMS GOODBYE FOR TWO YEARS!

IS ANY ATTORNEY LISTENING?

Edited by OPREVOKED

Update:

Sent FOID appeal 04/2019 with no reply to date. Took Molly’s advise and sent request for hearing with all paperwork included 7/18/2020. Got my FOID in the mail 7/25/2020. Highly recommend requesting a hearing because the state is hurting for money right now and does not want to waste money if your paperwork is in line. Thank you again to everyone’s advice on here, especially Molly. I wouldn’t have my FOID back today if it wasn’t for your advice. Note: I prepped all the paperwork and letters myself without a lawyer. Make them look professional and be sincere in your letters.

Thank you!!!

Update:

Sent FOID appeal 04/2019 with no reply to date. Took Molly’s advise and sent request for hearing with all paperwork included 7/18/2020. Got my FOID in the mail 7/25/2020. Highly recommend requesting a hearing because the state is hurting for money right now and does not want to waste money if your paperwork is in line. Thank you again to everyone’s advice on here, especially Molly. I wouldn’t have my FOID back today if it wasn’t for your advice. Note: I prepped all the paperwork and letters myself without a lawyer. Make them look professional and be sincere in your letters.

Thank you!!!

Fantastic! Glad it worked out for you and glad to be of help.

Where did you ask for a hearing? I haven’t seen anything on any of the paperwork that I had to fill out or send in. All my stuff was sent in earlier this year. If I requested a hearing (which I don’t know how too) would I have to resubmit everything again? Because that would be a pain in the arse. TIA

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47227&p=1274080

Sent out my request for a hearing today. We’ll see if this speeds up the process. My appeal has been in since mid January of this year. I didn’t bother to contact my lawyer to ask his opinion or advice. I just took it upon myself to resend it all. And followed Molly’s instructions on how to write and ask for one. Would be nice to see something soon.

Where did you ask for a hearing? I havent seen anything on any of the paperwork that I had to fill out or send in. All my stuff was sent in earlier this year. If I requested a hearing (which I dont know how too) would I have to resubmit everything again? Because that would be a pain in the arse. TIA

I did as stated above to request an administrative hearing. And followed Mollys instructions from the link she posted to a T. Got an email late last night from the ISP. Here is the email from them. We will see whats what I guess. Seems like its still going to be a waiting game.

post-19339-0-43019200-1596199839_thumb.png

Where did you ask for a hearing? I havent seen anything on any of the paperwork that I had to fill out or send in. All my stuff was sent in earlier this year. If I requested a hearing (which I dont know how too) would I have to resubmit everything again? Because that would be a pain in the arse. TIA

I did as stated above to request an administrative hearing. And followed Mollys instructions from the link she posted to a T. Got an email late last night from the ISP. Here is the email from them. We will see whats what I guess. Seems like its still going to be a waiting game.

Glad to see they responded to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Thank you!!!

Sent in requesting a hearing as well. Did you get any response back or your FOID card just showed up out of nowhere?

My FOID license was revoked after an order of protection was filed. TWO weeks later in Court the Judge vacated the order of protection. I filed an appeal and now have my FOID back (in two months).

I know I am one of the lucky ones to get my FOID card back so fast!

NOW, how do I get my CCL back?

Edited by Robert4960

My FOID license was revoked after an order of protection was filed. TWO weeks later in Court the Judge vacated the order of protection. I filed an appeal and now have my FOID back (in two months).

I know I am one of the lucky ones to get my FOID card back so fast!

NOW, how do I get my CCL back?

You can try this form, check to see if there is an appeal option on your ISP CCL page, if not, Fax to the number on the form along with a certified copy of the vacated order and your FOID card.

CCL Review Form IC-OP dismissed-.pdf