Oak Park Firearm Regulation Forum - Public Safety Issue

GarandCollector

Up to 107 comments at the present time.

Next meeting of the Board of Health when they will unveil their recommendations/findings:

Feb. 28th

6 PM-9 PM

Board of Health

Village Hall

123 Madison Street

Oak Park, Illinois 60302

Anyone care to speculate what those might be....

"guns are bad, we need less guns so lets impliment these common sense requirments" I think you are going to see handgun registration, ballistic fingerprinting, expensive training , a requirment for guns to be kept locked up like in DC and some kind of a total gun ban within x feet of schools etc....lets see how good my channeling of miss cleo is on the 28th....

And how long will it take to get Oak Park back to SCOTUS? And this time, without the cover of Chicago to pay the bill when they lose?

I really dont think they care. I went to the meeting there with Lashawn Ford and one of the residents brought his tax bill and explained how these gun laws are the result of the increased tax bill.

No one cared. So let them be the biggest contributor to NRA and SAF

Look who the "special" guest is in the meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 28th....

My link

AGENDA

Oak Park Board of Health

February 28, 2012, 6 PM

Village Hall – Room 102

1)Call to Order

2)Approval of Agenda

3)Approval of Minutes of January 24, 2012

4)Public Comment

5)Old Business:

a)Recommendations for Local Regulation of Firearms

Guest: Mark Walsh, Campaign Director, Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence

b)Update on Cycling Safety – Rhoda Bernstein

6)New Business

7)Adjourn

Contact the Health Department for additional information at (708) 358-5480 or health@oak-park.us. Office hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Look who the "special" guest is in the meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 28th....

My link

AGENDA

Oak Park Board of Health

February 28, 2012, 6 PM

Village Hall – Room 102

1)Call to Order

2)Approval of Agenda

3)Approval of Minutes of January 24, 2012

4)Public Comment

5)Old Business:

b)Update on Cycling Safety – Rhoda Bernstein

6)New Business

7)Adjourn

Contact the Health Department for additional information at (708) 358-5480 or health@oak-park.us. Office hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Well that means the board is being coached by icav. Somebody needs to bring a large display copy of that chicago payment check to the next OP board meeting.

Also Gura and Dc are still battling over Heller costs from 2008. Chicago and Oak Park are getting off cheap

both sides appealing DC gun case fees

Side note coincidence Oak Parks village Manager Tom Barwin is resigning and his last day is Feb 29th

link

Be nice if HB148 included an section that would hold public officials personally liable for passing ordnances that prohibit legal gun owners from exercising their rights. I believe that Florida past just a law for this just this purpose

Florida

http://laws.flrules.org/files/Ch_2011-109.pdf

Section 3

(3) PROHIBITIONS; PENALTIES.—

(a) Any person, county, agency, municipality, district, or other entity that violates the Legislature’s occupation of the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, as declared in subsection (1), by enacting or causing to be enforced any local ordinance or administrative rule or regulation impinging upon such exclusive occupation of the field shall be liable as set forth herein.

(B ) If any county, city, town, or other local government violates this section, the court shall declare the improper ordinance, regulation, or rule invalid and issue a permanent injunction against the local government prohibiting it from enforcing such ordinance, regulation, or rule. It is no defense that in enacting the ordinance, regulation, or rule the local government was acting in good faith or upon advice of counsel.

(c ) If the court determines that a violation was knowing and willful, the court shall assess a civil fine of up to $5,000 against the elected or appointed local government official or officials or administrative agency head under whose jurisdiction the violation occurred.

(d) Except as required by applicable law, public funds may not be used to defend or reimburse the unlawful conduct of any person found to have knowingly and willfully violated this section.

Theres more at the link

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/0402

So more one-sided crap from Oak Park. They continue to ignore the rights of their citizens. What is there motto? "We're smaller than Chicago, but just as stupid and corrupt?"

There is an area for public commentary on the agenda.

Can anyone from our side come to the meeting and speak?

I am talking to a couple of people in Oak Park.

If there were such an animal as a pro-gunner in Oak Park, that would be the person to speak. Along with about 300 of his friends and neighbors.

T

There is "Oak Park Sportsman's Club" located in Plainfield, Il. on the south west side of Chicago. I have shot IDPA there a couple times and they shoot Cowboy Action and several other types of action pistol sports. In fact "Cherryriver from this forum is a member there, or at least was a couple years ago when I last shot there.

http://www.opsc.ws/

http://www.opscactionpistol.com/OPSC_Action_Pistol/HOME.html

These are the web sites for OPSC and the IDPA program there. Hope that helps, Jim.

ISRA has sent a message out.....

Illinois: Oak Park Considering Additional Firearm Regulations and Has Stacked the Deck Against Gun Owners!

Plan to Attend and Speak at the Board of Health Meeting This Tuesday

The Oak Park Board of Health will meet this Tuesday, February 28, to consider a local regulation of firearms with special guest speaker Mark Walsh, campaign director for the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. While this Board has clearly taken up an anti-gun position, it is vital that you attend this meeting to set the record straight: the citizens of Oak Park will not stand for the imposition of additional regulations on the sale and possession of firearms by law-abiding people.

The Oak Park Board of Health meets at 6:00 PM in Room 102 of the Village Hall located at 123 Madison Street. Your opinion matters, so please plan to attend this meeting to voice your opposition to any new penalties on lawful firearm ownership! For further information regarding this meeting and how you may participate during public comment, you may call (708) 358-5480 and e-mail health@oak-park.us.

What a mess. Why don't the members of the village council of Oak Park just sit this one out? It didn't work last time to be the "leader" of gun control that they hoped would sweep the nation. Poker players of any level would hate to be holding their hand. What do they have, 6 high?

I will be at this stupid event. There is a public comments section on the agenda and I will make mine. Hope to see you there.

Looks like the health board meeting will be interesting. That shooting in Ohio today really got the local ban guns crowd fired up. The meeting doesn't start till 6pm but I'd plan on getting there around 5 to 5:30 pm if you want to be able to talk. I'll be there and plan to speak, not that the village is going to listen. they already have there minds made up.

Funny that they are pushing hard to remove guns from and make it difficult for law abiding citizens to get firearms, just when the suntimes is running an article about how CPD has been pushing gang members into western suburbs such as Oak Park. But I am SURE tougher laws in regards to law abiding citizens buying and possessing firearms will somehow discourage Mr. and Miss. gangbanger from coming to Oak Park.

My link

Chicago gang members are invading the western suburbs.

Gangs have sent juveniles to Riverside to burglarize homes and steal TVs, computers, jewelry, cash and whatever else they could grab.

In Oak Park, River Forest and Forest Park, gang members recently painted graffiti on 30 different locations before they were nabbed.

And in Cicero, police busted a high-ranking Four Corner Hustlers member for possession of heroin.

“The Chicago Police are doing a really good job of pushing the crime west,” said Riverside Police Chief Tom Weitzel, chairman of a 10-suburb gang task force.

Believe me I've seen it. On my block in the last two weeks someone kicked in our garage door and stole some items from my neighbor's car, a woman riding her bike 2 houses down was beaten and mugged around midnight, and someone broke into a car parked on the street.

Funny that they are pushing hard to remove guns from and make it difficult for law abiding citizens to get firearms, just when the suntimes is running an article about how CPD has been pushing gang members into western suburbs such as Oak Park. But I am SURE tougher laws in regards to law abiding citizens buying and possessing firearms will somehow discourage Mr. and Miss. gangbanger from coming to Oak Park.

My link

Chicago gang members are invading the western suburbs.

Gangs have sent juveniles to Riverside to burglarize homes and steal TVs, computers, jewelry, cash and whatever else they could grab.

In Oak Park, River Forest and Forest Park, gang members recently painted graffiti on 30 different locations before they were nabbed.

And in Cicero, police busted a high-ranking Four Corner Hustlers member for possession of heroin.

“The Chicago Police are doing a really good job of pushing the crime west,” said Riverside Police Chief Tom Weitzel, chairman of a 10-suburb gang task force.

I just know the Ohio school shooting is going to be used by some antis to dance in the blood and spread fear, but what is coming to light with only less than 24 hours of the incident?

I keep seeing Troubled kid in some of the headlines so if the department of OakParks Public Health wants to get involved...... What can be done to help avoid something like this from slipping thru schools administrative cracks?

Last night CBS national news had a brief piece on Jodee Blanco who tours schools and discusses peer bullying http://www.jodeeblanco.com/. I've met her thru an friend and she's actually a local south-side girl. I'd forgotten all about. Now Public Health conducting seminars for students in dealing with bullying and peer pressure would be more effective rather than using incidents to push what we are fully expecting to happen this evening from ICPHV's recommendations. Ban this, ban that, fees, restrictions, all over and above state law already in effect , yet not fully enforced. And each township trying to feel even more special by creating its own special additional ownership restrictions making this state a minefield of piddly extra regulations.

I'm curious to see what more will come out of the shooters past in the next few days about previous incidents that might have been tell tale signs that admins ignored.

Archived