The only reason we have the 2nd amendment was to enable slavery

Lou

I can't believe how low the anti-gunners will go!! This boggles my mind.

Apr 26, 2012 01:57 pm | NGAC

2ND AMENDMENT AND SLAVERY

The principal purpose of the 2nd amendment was to preserve the slave system that existed in the late 1700’s. While Professor Lepore (“Battleground America” New Yorker April 23, 2012) gives an excellent summary of the interpretive evolution of the 2nd Amendment, she neglects to speak to its origin. The 2nd Amendment was the price that had to be paid to secure ratification of the Constitution. (See “The Hidden History of the Second Amendment” by Carl T. Bogus.)

The slave states relied on their militias to control their slaves and to suppress rebellion. The militia was required because the slave population in the slave states was such a large proportion of the total population. For example, as per the 1790 census, in Virginia slaves were 39 % of the total population, in South Carolina 43%, in Maryland 32%. (The brutal methods of the state militias, murder, fire, terror were adopted by the Ku Klux Klan.)

Nine states were needed to ratify the constitution drafted in Philadelphia in 1787. At the time of Virginia’s Ratifying Convention (Richmond June 1788), eight states had ratified but of the other five, Virginia was the only realistic hope, for number nine. During the debate in Richmond, Patrick Henry who opposed the Constitution, reminded the delegates that “The militia were the last and best defense against slave insurrection.”

Commitment to including the second amendment in the Bill of Rights removed the threat of Congress using its constitutionally granted power to disarm the state militias. This was the price that had to be paid for Virginia’s ratification.

The horror of slavery was the driving factor for establishing the second amendment. It continues today to extract its grievous toll.

That's also the reason why we have the 1st amendment - so that KKK leaders can freely speak about their goals and against other races. Also that's the reason for the 4th amendment , so that they can be protected against the search and that they can hide their guns that were given to them by the 2nd amendment. And needless to say - 10th amendment was added to solidify all this.

I can't believe how low the anti-gunners will go!! This boggles my mind.

Apr 26, 2012 01:57 pm | NGAC

2ND AMENDMENT AND SLAVERY

The principal purpose of the 2nd amendment was to preserve the slave system that existed in the late 1700’s. While Professor Lepore (“Battleground America” New Yorker April 23, 2012) gives an excellent summary of the interpretive evolution of the 2nd Amendment, she neglects to speak to its origin. The 2nd Amendment was the price that had to be paid to secure ratification of the Constitution. (See “The Hidden History of the Second Amendment” by Carl T. Bogus.)

The slave states relied on their militias to control their slaves and to suppress rebellion. The militia was required because the slave population in the slave states was such a large proportion of the total population. For example, as per the 1790 census, in Virginia slaves were 39 % of the total population, in South Carolina 43%, in Maryland 32%. (The brutal methods of the state militias, murder, fire, terror were adopted by the Ku Klux Klan.)

Nine states were needed to ratify the constitution drafted in Philadelphia in 1787. At the time of Virginia’s Ratifying Convention (Richmond June 1788), eight states had ratified but of the other five, Virginia was the only realistic hope, for number nine. During the debate in Richmond, Patrick Henry who opposed the Constitution, reminded the delegates that “The militia were the last and best defense against slave insurrection.”

Commitment to including the second amendment in the Bill of Rights removed the threat of Congress using its constitutionally granted power to disarm the state militias. This was the price that had to be paid for Virginia’s ratification.

The horror of slavery was the driving factor for establishing the second amendment. It continues today to extract its grievous toll.

Ya know, it's instances like this that make me wonder if those folks should be drug tested.

Ya know, it's instances like this that make me wonder if those folks should be drug tested.

I see your point ... but then again, I know a multitude of folks who've never touched drugs, yet appear to be intellectually inept and morally vapid.

Personally, I like to see this kind of utterly senseless drivel from people like the "National gun victims" alliance (or whatever they call themselves). They marginalize themselves ... Don't interrupt your enemies when they are making mistakes or acting foolishly.

For years the messages of pro-gun groups have included:

> Nazis disarmed Jews, to the detriment of the Jews

> Turks disarmed Armenians, to the detriment of the Armenians

> The Soviets diarmed Russians, to the detriment of the Russians

> The Khmer Rouge disarmed Cambodian citizens, the detriment of all of Cambodia

> Ex-slave owners disarmed freed slaves, to the detriment of freed slaves

Did I forget anyone? Oh yes:

> American slave owners kept slaves disarmed, to the detriment of the slaves

I don't think there's any real historical accuracy in that last assertion (as it relates to the Second Amendment), but it sure has a familar ring.

So guns in the hands of the people are the cause of slavery being continued? Uhh wrong again, a$$hat. The exact opposite is the truth... The best and most effective way to enslave a people is to disarm them, paraphrasing a founding father.

What are the L.I.A.R.S. going to accuse us of next? Killing **** robin and increasing the national debt?

I see your point ... but then again, I know a multitude of folks who've never touched drugs, yet appear to be intellectually inept and morally vapid.

Personally, I like to see this kind of utterly senseless drivel from people like the "National gun victims" alliance (or whatever they call themselves). They marginalize themselves ... Don't interrupt your enemies when they are making mistakes or acting foolishly.

Great point. It just really gets frustrating listening to people utter total lies...then again I reckon most all of us here on IC feel that way...otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Did anyone notice that the article quotes a Mr Bogus?

You know, that is totally fitting....lol.

It is true that the second amendment and the bill of rights in general were a compromise to get the constitution ratified. There are historical references to the dangers of an armed slave rebellion. I have never seen such references used in a circumstance other than arguing for abolition, however.

One of the strongest arguments for the second amendment was to prevent the federal government from disarming militias, I don't think it is out of line to say that the slave states were interested in keeping an armed militia to put down slave rebellions. I do however think it is a mistake to say it was the only, or even the most important reason.

Archived